Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Runners: Do you listen to music while running?

6,935 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jetpilot86
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And if so, what device do you use? I would like to start listening to something while running, and I have a iPod shuffle. I guess I could add some podcasts or yesterdays ticket broadcast to it, but I would probably rather listen to live radio.

I could use my iPhone, but I sweat a crazy amount and I am worried about it getting messed up in my pocket or wherever. Any suggestions for a good radio I could clip on?
Matsui
AG
I listen to podcasts.
Matsui
AG
Current iPods allow you to listen to live radio.
zip04
AG
I used to use an iPod shuffle or my iPhone, but once I got over 5 miles the music started driving me crazy. Now I never run with music. The iPhone was nice because then I had it on me in case of an emergency (had to use it once), but the shuffle was so light and small you didn't even feel it on you when running.

Edit: I carry my phone in my SPI belt on longer runs with the Charity miles app and ROAD ID app on (allows my wife to track my progress/location and alerts her if I stop for 5 minutes). Still no music though.
07fta07
AG
I can't run without music. I just use my phone in my pocket. Looking at other alternatives now because I'm increasing mileage and it's starting to annoy me.
Hincemm
AG
6th gen iPod nano. Clips on, fm radio (I get 96.7 on it). Listen to radio and podcasts
drewbie08
AG
I can't run with music. Too distracting and don't like the cord bouncing on my body. I also like to hear all the sounds in what's going on around me.
P.U.T.U
AG
quote:
I can't run with music. Too distracting and don't like the cord bouncing on my body. I also like to hear all the sounds in what's going on around me.
Same except on the treadmill then I plug music, video, podcast into it and listen. The joy of running to me is getting out in nature and hearing things around me
Hoosegow
I can't hear anything over the pounding of my heart, the gasping for breath and the near blackout low oxygen deficiency, and that's just from tying my shoe.
Aggietaco
AG
I'm either on the street where I want to be able to clearly hear vehicles and bikes around me or on the trails where I want to hear nothing.

My wife sometimes uses the 6th gen nano. Due to size, that would probably be my first choice if I did want to listen to something. Only downside if you have to pay up for new old stock or buy used.
Jim01
AG
Music or Podcast.
Beer Baron
AG
I have to listen to music when I run. And terrible music at that. There are several hills that I'm confident I would never have made it over without help from Kesha and Pitbull.
AggieOO
i rarely listen to music when i run. usually only time i listen is when i'm road/path running, and even then usually not. On the trails, i want to hear nature and NEED to hear approaching mountain bikes.
MouthBQ98
AG
I suck at running, but I'll do old jodys in my head from my days at a&m sometimes to motivate myself.
A is A
AG
I run without music.
I take the time to reflect on my work and life. Things I can improve. Mistakes made and how I can correct them. Very therapeutic
wangus12
AG
I run with an old 4th generation iPod Nano. Listen to all sorts of music, mostly a lot classical/soundtrack. Bach & Two Step From Hell are awesome. Don't wear with while I'm trail running. The music is a background to my thinking. My outside stimulus is constantly looking at everything. Houses, traffic, cars, people etc. I cannot run on a treadmill. I will stop after 10 minutes because of the lack of change.
'03ag
quote:
x1000
Presley OBannons Sword
man, you guys that can run without music or a podcast or something, good on ya. running just bores me to tears, and if I don't have something to listen to, i'll lose my mind
Endo Ag
AG
50% podcasts. 35% music. 15% nothing. I never race with headphones, nor do I generally use them if going with a partner, but that is rare.

I use my phone in a SPI belt and Trekz Titianium headphones which let me hear what is going on or even have a conversation.

http://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium
wxguy95
AG
quote:
I listen to podcasts.
I tend to listen to NPR podcasts. Probably costs me a few minutes since it is calming, but I enjoy them.
RustyBoltz
AG
Yes, but exclusively Pandora. I used to run with an armband but switched to a SPI Endurance Belt (fits my iPhone 6S+ with a symmetry otterbox) and love it. Paired with Jabra Sport Pace headphones it's been a pretty consistent setup over the past 6mo.
DANG
AG
Loud music for intervals and podcasts on low volume for easy running.

Quad lock armband and jaybird wireless earbuds.
Jim01
AG
I just use an iPod nano with standard Apple headphones.
Seven Costanza
AG
I just hold my phone and play podcasts without earphones.
AgPediRPh
AG
I only wear headphones on race days. I don't want to drown out sounds when i run on the road or sidewalks.

I use a cheap ipod nano (with bluetooth) and Plantronics backbeat headphones. I use an armband so the ipod doesn't get super sweaty in my pocket.
2001%er
AG
I listen to a running playlist I made on my phone. Carry it in a hippy belt and tuck the headphone cord under it. I've worn it for marathons and it doesn't bother me. I don't mind running without when it's cold but when it's hot out I really benefit from something to distract from the heat. I'm always running on sidewalks or paved trails though and always keep it low enough to hear other traffic.
SkiMo
AG
I just throw my iPhone in an armband and let it blast without earbuds. Allows me to listen to music but also be aware of my surroundings. For music, I use Spotify and usually some sort of Chill House music.
AggieOO
quote:
I just throw my iPhone in an armband and let it blast without earbuds. Allows me to listen to music but also be aware of my surroundings. For music, I use Spotify and usually some sort of Chill House music.

i'm assuming you are referring to your personal runs...but i HATE people that do this at races.
htxag09
AG
I recently started running without music and don't see myself going back. But I have a set of Bluetooth headphones (wireless) and would just listen to them with the fm tuner. Hate carrying my phone or having it bounce around in my pocket.
SkiMo
AG
Don't blow a gasket... These are my own personal runs... outside... through neighborhoods... by myself. I don't run many races but when I do, no music.
AggieOO
quote:
Don't blow a gasket...
not going to, hence the first part of my post about it being on your personal runs.
SkiMo
AG
I know... I am annoyed by people who don't respect others around them. My biggest pet peeve at the gym was always having someone come and perch up on the treadmill next to me while there were 15 other empty ones all around. Complete oblivion...
Rudyjax
AG
iPhone in a spibelt w/wireless headphones if I can get them to work or corded.

I listen to music when doing speed work and audiobooks/podcasts when not.

I always have it low enough to be aware of my surroundings. It's annoying tho when a construction vehicle or small **** truck pass you. Can't hear what you're listening to.
hurleyag
AG
I use my old iPhone to listen to music or podcast depending on the length of the run. I have a water resistant arm sleeve that keeps it from getting sweat on it.
CoolaidWade
AG
about 50/50 podcast/music. i'm still oldschool and use my huge stack of Sansa MP3 players I bought on woot.com about 6 years ago when they were going for 15 bucks. They are small, sound great and last about 6-8 months. I can't remember how many I bought but I still have about 5 or 6 on deck when my current one goes out.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.