Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Spectrum Trail Racing Fall 16/Spring 17

12,533 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The InTIMidator
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Saddle Blazer thread got a lot of action, so I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for all the Spectrum Races. I'm only the RD for Saddle Blazer, but will have or likely can get any info on the other races as well. I'll try to post updates and any developments for both Saddle Blazer and the other races in this thread, and as always, you are free to ask questions. I will have discount codes for H&F people for Saddle Blazer, and will likely have a few discount codes for the other races as well. We think our races are some of the best out there, but we run a lot of other races. There are a lot of other top notch events out there.

Lots of new developments on the Spectrum front for the upcoming race season. I know racing season isn't technically even wrapped up for a lot of people, but I also know that people plan way in advance, so that's why I'm throwing it out there now. Spectrum will also be sponsoring the trail film festival again this year, and hopefully some other films (we co-sponsored the Caballo Blanco movie last night with Tejas Trails).

Here's the race line-up with as current info as I have:

Sky Island - Davis Mountains
50K, 25K - limited to 100 racers

Rawhide - Flack Rock Ranch
50M, Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K

Wonderland - Muleshoe Bend
Double Marathon, Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K

The Circus - McKinney Roughs
12 hour solo/relay, 30K 10K
Will be part of the Texas Trail Championships Fall Series

Goodwater - Georgetown Lake
Marathon, solo double marathon, team double marathon. - limited to 100

Saddle Blazer - Parrie Haynes Equestrian Center
100K, Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K
Should be part of the Texas Trail Championship Spring Series

Won't be surprised if a race pops up in the OKC area as well.

As always, Spectrum Races will have free race photos, a film festival the night before the race, free beer/liquor, games, live music, camping, and all kinds of extras.

Questions? Ask away!

If you need a discount code for Saddle Blazer, email me. I'll do my best to get discount codes for the other races, but I currently don't have any.
Aggietaco
AG
Looking forward to the new lineup.
DANG
AG
Are y'all still doing Roughhouse @McKinney Roughs? The site shows Sept. 10th as a tentative date. I was considering it for my trail running debut.
Sooner Born
Depending on how life is, I might do a the Circus. Will definitely do the Saddle Blazer again.
AggieOO
quote:
Are y'all still doing Roughhouse @McKinney Roughs? The site shows Sept. 10th as a tentative date. I was considering it for my trail running debut.
let me see what i can find out. Wasn't aware it was still up on the website. Its not included on the print collateral. I'll let you know as soon as i can.
jejdag
I'm hoping to put together a team consisting of family and friends for the Circus relay. If there is a discount code, do we get a discount for the team, or just for myself? We'll be very slow, but out for a fun time.
AggieOO
would likely be able to get it for everyone on the team.
AggieOO
Spent 5 hours on trails today. Saddle Blazer might have a whole new surprise.
Aggietaco
AG
Like "surprise, we got rid of that sweet hill climb"?
AggieOO
quote:
Like "surprise, we got rid of that sweet hill climb"?

I found three that make that one look easy.
Sooner Born
Just saw that you changed the name from Saddle Blazer to the Barqlee
AggieOO
Not even close

You'd have to elect to do the new distance I'm working on to experience the new climbs.

Small update on Goodwater, just waiting to get approved permits.
AggieOO
registration for Saddle Blazer is live. Pro Tip: if you like running longer than 26.2, you might want to wait...
AggieOO
Updates for goodwater info. For the team double marathon, you both start at the same time and run in opposite directions around the loop.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Updates for goodwater info. For the team double marathon, you both start at the same time and run in opposite directions around the loop.
Good idea, I was wondering how that would work. Also allows for a little extra competition with your teammate.

AggieOO
If you are in Austin, the newest idea is the Vagabond Time Trials:

hopefully this video link works:

https://www.facebook.com/550161035130383/videos/vb.550161035130383/909173199229163/?type=2&theater¬if_t=like¬if_id=1460497112095288
PFG
AG
OO - Can you offer some training tips? I've always been a 5K hard top speed guy, but I love the outdoors and concept of trail running. Articles, websites, reading, training methods...anything you can offer up would be great.

WildWay going to be at these races?
Aggietaco
AG
Like the idea, just not sure of the 30 hour window thing starting on Monday morning.
AggieOO
I'd start with taking a look at irunfar.com and http://www.trailrunnermag.com/

if you like podcasts, trailrunnernation.com and ultrarunnerpodcast.com are both good. Ultrarunnerpodcast does daily news as well, and despite the domain name being "ultra runner"they don't solely concentrate on ultra distances.

as for some personal tips, get out and run trails. I know it seems easy, but the more you run, the better you get. You have to get more confident running through and around rocks/roots/etc. I'd spend some time developing all your stabilizing muscles (especially those in your legs) to support your feet/legs. You will definitely step wrong, and strengthening those muscles can be the difference between limping for a couple strides and continuing on and rolling your ankle.

since you are someone who is coming over from road/5K top-end speed, you need to swallow the idea that you WILL slow down on trails. You can still run fast, but your pace can vary drastically depending on the terrain. You have to learn to run more by effort than pace.
AggieOO
just got the confirmation of access to the sister property for Saddle Blazer. 90%+ chance I'll be adding a 100K very soon.
Aggietaco
AG
Lots of distances crammed into that race with a 10k, 10k dog, half and full and now 100k?
AggieOO
we just picked up another 2000+ acres...
Aggietaco
AG
I just meant from an organizational aspect, especially with the loops. I think I had someone try and hang a finisher's medal on me twice before I finished the marathon. I understand trying to appeal to everyone though, with 10k's being the largest turnout.
AggieOO
we like the unique loops to bring people through the start/finish multiple times. It actually makes things a little easier from a certain aspect, but it also gives a chance for the runners to see folks and get some high fives from some familiar faces. If someone trying to give a runner a medal before they are done is my biggest problem, I'm happy with that. I could have just designed the course where, you leave and don't come back to the start/finish until you are done, but general feedback is people like coming back through the "home base." And a bonus is it helps us track runners and minimize resources.

We aren't at a point were we have the race registration numbers to split things up, so everything has to be on one day. I'd love to break it up a bit more, but we just aren't at that point right now.

Plus, I'll be surprised if we have more than 25-30 in the 100K on year one.
Aggietaco
AG
Any idea on whether the Davis run will be early or late September?
AggieOO
if permits come through, it will be either the 10th or 17th.

plans are to go scope out courses on may 7th. i was going to go with them, but they picked the weekend I'll be running R2R2R.

i'll see if i can get a better update.
Aggietaco
AG
Thanks, just taking some time to look at my fall schedule and find what fits with football. Hopefully the 17th pans out. I've been wanting to make a trip to the Davis Mountains for some time and this was going to be my excuse.
AggieOO
we have a team meeting tonight, so i'll see if i can get additional info. I'm trying to plan my fall as well, and have a half IM on the 24th, so i was actually hoping for a date on the 10th so I could run out there. Plus, i don't care about missing the prairie view home game, but would like to watch the auburn game.
Aggietaco
AG
Agreed that Prairie View ain't much but it's a home game and Auburn will be watched from a TV somewhere. Might as well be one in Fort Davis. The t-sips have a home game on the 10th as well, assuming anyone actually goes to their games anymore.
AggieOO
If permits come through, it's looking like the 17th.
Aggietaco
AG
Thanks for the update.
AggieOO
100K for Saddle Blazer is a go. Will make an official announcement and open registration in the next couple weeks.
AggieOO
did some preliminary mapping for the Saddle Blazer 100K option. Will be 95%+ unique trail, so in essence a single 100K "loop." However, I will keep a similar format as the races last year with a "cloverleaf" approach so you will come through the start/finish multiple times, though the loops on the neighboring property will be 17-20+ miles long. As for the other races, I'll be tweaking those courses slightly to attempt to eliminate some of the confusing parts.

RDs for the other races are headed out to the Davis Mountains this weekend to do some recon, so hopefully there will be an official announcement on that race next week.
AggieOO
100K for Saddle Blazer is official. Registration opens wednesday.

Sky Island (Davis Mountains) is a go. They are waiting on one more permit for a small section of trail that is not part of the park. Its going to be an amazing race.
The Pilot
AG
Will have to see how schedules line up, but might be interested in Sky Island.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.