03 Tahoe trouble

1,255 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by malibu9in1
AggieP18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got a 2003 z71 Tahoe that's giving me a real headache. Intermintinly when I turn, the wheels start making a horrible grinding sound, almost like it's locking up which is what it feels like. When I go straight their is no problem, but a whoom whoom sound is present now that showed up when this problem started. The shop already said it wasn't a wheel bearing. Thanks in advance.
MouthBQ98
AG
4x4?
AggieP18
Yes
MouthBQ98
AG
Tire tread edge rubbing on the front suspension parts when turned to the max?
MouthBQ98
AG
Do you have any kind of front locker or is it an open diff?
AggieP18
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I've had this Tahoe with these tires for about a year and it just started doing it. Both A arms and pitman arms were replaced last week to no avail also.
AggieP18
As far as I know it would be the standard kind, whatever that may be.
Waterski02
AG
Double check that you're not in Auto 4x4. Our's does that when the Mrs leaves it in Auto, almost like the front axle is still partially engaged.

Once in 2wd, noise, stops.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Are the hub/bearing assemblies original?
CanyonAg77
AG
AggieP18 said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I've had this Tahoe with these tires for about a year and it just started doing it. Both A arms and pitman arms were replaced last week to no avail also.
You would see shiny spots somewhere inside the fender if it were rubbing. Does sound a lot like it's in 4WD.

When the wheel bearings start to go out, an early sign is sometimes the ABS brakes going squirrely. The hubs throw oil and confuse the ABS sensors.

For you car gurus out there, could this be the CV joints or whatever Chevy has for the u-joint setup in the front 4WD?
AggieP18
My 4wd has been acting squirrely lately. The switch on the dash has been staying on auto 4wd instead of 2hi. Can I override the 4wd by pulling a fuse to make sure it doesn't jump form to 2wd to 4wd randomly?
CanyonAg77
AG
Should be able to. Or pull the plug down on the axle. Fuse would be simpler. I have a cheap WT, so manual 4WD. But I bet the fuse would be in the box under the hood.
Mr. Dubi
Did they ever come up with a fix for the steering column pop?
malibu9in1
You can "jack off " the steering shaft under the hood too loosen the grease. And the plastic bearing under the dash is a known part to make noise as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.