Truck recommendations

1,696 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Agmechanic
triggerhappy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some recommendations. We're looking to buy a new truck and dump trailer for work and need some suggestions on truck size.

We'll be buying a 7'x14' dump trailer and fill it with 4k max and make trips to the dump 1-2 times per month. The rest of the time the truck will be used for driving around checking job sites. For the amount of use, I'm leaning towards a new F-150 with the eco-boost rated at 10.5k towing, supposed to have good mpg unloaded. Next option is to step up to a 250.

Annnd go!

Furlock Bones
AG
check out the GM twins with the 6.2 as well. (i prefer the looks of the GMC to the Chevy)
locogringo
AG
I concur with Furlock
The Wonderer
AG
triggerhappy said:

Need some recommendations. We're looking to buy a new truck and dump trailer for work and need some suggestions on truck size.

We'll be buying a 7'x14' dump trailer and fill it with 4k max and make trips to the dump 1-2 times per month. The rest of the time the truck will be used for driving around checking job sites. For the amount of use, I'm leaning towards a new F-150 with the eco-boost rated at 10.5k towing, supposed to have good mpg unloaded. Next option is to step up to a 250.

Annnd go!

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
So you need to tow 4K max twice a month?
triggerhappy
AG
Plus trailer weight, roughly another 4k. So 8k total.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Half ton can easily handle this now, but I understand why you'd consider a 3/4 ton as well.
TSW2012
AG
I pulled a similar load several times a month with my 2011 half ton GMC was not a big deal. Not as nice as with my 1ton but not scary either. With good trailer brakes and a good controller you will be good to go.
CanyonAg77
AG
A four thousand pound trailer?
TSW2012
AG
I have that exact trailer. It's heavy but not 4K lbs. I haven't run the scales with it.
triggerhappy
AG
I'm in the sales yard looking at a dump trailer right now, 7'x14' at 4325lbs
The Wonderer
AG
Dump trailers are heavy as *****
CanyonAg77
AG
Have to apologize. I didn't think about it being a dump trailer with all the hydraulics, etc.

http://bigtextrailers.com/14lx-tandem-axle-low-profile-extra-wide-dump/
Agmechanic
AG
Used f250 with the 5.4
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.