Gas pumps overfilling tank (?), causing rough start after fill-up.

1,109 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SPSAg05
SPSAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question mark in the subject is because this is my best guess as to what's happening.

2012 Ford Edge, 134K miles. I've been noticing over the past three weeks or so that every time I fill up with gas, it's tough to get my Edge to start. It'll take about 5-7 seconds of cranking before it will actually turn over. When it does, it's a bit rough and there's some vibration/rumbling for a second or two, then it runs just fine. On every subsequent startup after that, it turns over just fine, and I have no problems whatsoever until the next time I fill up.

Some menial interweb research revealed that this is a common issue when people "top off" their gas tank after the gas pump automatically shuts off. However, I never do this - I always just fill until the pump automatically shuts off.

To investigate this further, I have started to stop filling my tank before the pump automatically shuts off, and have had no problem starting the car when I've done this.....so the only conclusion that I can come up with is that something is preventing gas pumps from shutting off when they should, and it's causing it to overfill.

One possibly unrelated thing: I road-tripped to Tuscaloosa last week, and at one point after getting gas, I drive down the road a bit, and notice that my gas gauge has suddenly gone down to 3/4 of a tank. However, I watch it for about 20 minutes, and in that time, the gauge gradually goes back up to almost a full tank. I'd never seen that before.

Does anyone have any clue as to what I might be dealing with here?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Are you capless?

If so you're supposed to stop at the first click.

Also your purge system may be kinked or clogged with Mud Daubers etc.

SPSAg05
AG
Yep, my tank is capless, and I always stop at the first click...I never top my tank off beyond the first click.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.