The FZJ80 Thread

14,684 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hatchback
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My guess is wheel bearing. The sound goes away when you stop because it all cools down, and is periodic while driving because every so often the worn metal parts will start to spin like they should before the go back to halfway locking up.
KY AG
AG
Fife, I think you've nailed it. The more I mull on the symptoms, the more I think that's probably the right diagnosis.

I need to decide if I'm going to do a full-on Birfield joint fix while I'm in there, or limit the scope to just bearings + gaskets. TBD.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you dont have birf soup, then I think you can just do the bearings and maybe rotors if they're thin.
vin1041
AG
any suggestions for shops in College Station to change a headlight bulb? May sound simple, but the left one was jammed in wrong and our local mechanic had to replace it for us over the holidays, and now the right one is out and my son can/t get it out either.
TSJ
AG
vin1041 said:

any suggestions for shops in College Station to change a headlight bulb? May sound simple, but the left one was jammed in wrong and our local mechanic had to replace it for us over the holidays, and now the right one is out and my son can/t get it out either.

I don't have any recommendations for shops but, next week I should be available in the evenings if he just needs some tools and a drive way to pull the housing and see what's wrong.
Complete Idiot

1600 pounds of mulch, rode nicely
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

1600 pounds of mulch, rode nicely
FIFY

Complete Idiot
Oops, they weren't showing up? They were on two different PC's of mine, but I realize what I did and why I could see but not others.

Thanks
KY AG
AG
Nice looking 80 here in Nashville for sale, if anyone's interested.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/6156243641.html
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
My 80 sat from July 2016 until April 2017, with one start in the middle. A critter in the storage unit kicked the battery tender off the plug, so the battery drained between December and April.

In April, I charged the battery, cranked it up and put around 500 miles on her, installed new belts, lubed the driveline/chassis, and had the rear glass and front windows re-tinted.

Now she sits again with a battery tender, waiting for my move home in 20 days.....
The Wonderer
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

My 80 sat from July 2016 until April 2017, with one start in the middle. A critter in the storage unit kicked the battery tender off the plug, so the battery drained between December and April.

In April, I charged the battery, cranked it up and put around 500 miles on her, installed new belts, lubed the driveline/chassis, and had the rear glass and front windows re-tinted.

Now she sits again with a battery tender, waiting for my move home in 20 days.....
hatchback
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

We're going to need a thread dedicated to your current Houston fleet when you get home. I haven't been able to keep up with miscellaneous posts scattered through the auto board...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.