Ford Edge throttle body issue (1Ags?)

11,441 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Old Sarge
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife just called me and told me a wrench light came one and she lost almost all power while driving down the road. She pulled off and turned off the car, and when she cranked it back up, it drove just fine. I did a quick google to see that it appears to be the ETB, which is a known issue with Fords and that Ford has agreed to extend the warranty on 09-13 models. The issue is that I don't see the Edge on there. Does anybody know whether or not Ford will fix this due to their faulty design, or are we going to be responsible for this?

2013 Edge with 57k miles.
ksp
A dealership won't unless you have a good history with them, they will not waste their limited goodwill money they have allotted on a non service customer.

Ford motor company also gives you a internal "loyalty number" from 1-100 and if it isn't high, negative they won't help. If your number is high, then the best you will typically get is 50/50.

Go to their website, run your VIN # and check for warranty extension on your specific car.
aTm2004
AG
Ok, wife took it in and they called me. This is what they're saying is wrong...it's not the throttle body issue that Fords typically have. He's saying there's a lot of fuel deposit on the plugs and that the plate on the TB is dirty and not able to close properly.

He's recommending:
- Replace all plugs
- Clean TB
- Fuel system clean

All in of $640...with $200 of that being the fuel cleaning which he stressed "was the most important." How much are they trying to hose me? Seems like a lot for less than 60k miles.
The Wonderer
AG
That is all work that can be done in your drive with a simple set of hand tools and some B12 in the gas tank..
texsn95
AG
Sounds like bull**** recommendations to pad their pockets. Try another dealer.
aTm2004
AG
ksp said:

A dealership won't unless you have a good history with them, they will not waste their limited goodwill money they have allotted on a non service customer.

Ford motor company also gives you a internal "loyalty number" from 1-100 and if it isn't high, negative they won't help. If your number is high, then the best you will typically get is 50/50.

Go to their website, run your VIN # and check for warranty extension on your specific car.
I checked the vin and there's nothing there on it. As far as the dealership, I have only been to the dealership twice to have work done on it. The first time was when the door ajar switch went out and had it replaced under warranty. The 2nd time was when the exact same issue arose again in the same door they said they replaced the door latch on. They began back tracking saying they only cleaned it and there wasn't a warranty on that repair. I had specifically asked what was done and what warranty it had, and wrote it down on the receipt (12 months/12k miles).

After getting nowhere with the dealership, I opened a case with Ford Motor about it, and in a polite but stern way, continued to escalate over the course of 3 weeks before they finally decided to repair the repair at no cost. So, the "loyalty number" may be a bit low.
aTm2004
AG
texsn95 said:

Sounds like bull**** recommendations to pad their pockets. Try another dealer.
It's at a local shop. May try somewhere different.
aTm2004
AG
The Wonderer said:

That is all work that can be done in your drive with a simple set of hand tools and some B12 in the gas tank..
Time...I don't have any time to do it. Weekends are filled due to the wife having photo sessions planned, so I spend all day Saturday and Sunday with the kids while she's out doing that.
The Wonderer
AG
Are the kids old enough to hand daddy a wrench and make beer runs to the fridge?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Cleaning the TB wont take you more than 10 minutes.

A can of BG44K and an italian tuneup later, it should run just fine.

You need to find a new shop.
ksp
aTm2004 said:

ksp said:

I checked the vin and there's nothing there on it. As far as the dealership, I have only been to the dealership twice to have work done on it. The first time was when the door ajar switch went out and had it replaced under warranty. The 2nd time was when the exact same issue arose again in the same door they said they replaced the door latch on. They began back tracking saying they only cleaned it and there wasn't a warranty on that repair. I had specifically asked what was done and what warranty it had, and wrote it down on the receipt (12 months/12k miles).

After getting nowhere with the dealership, I opened a case with Ford Motor about it, and in a polite but stern way, continued to escalate over the course of 3 weeks before they finally decided to repair the repair at no cost. So, the "loyalty number" may be a bit low.
Glad it all worked out! Probably got to a point cost/time effort with them lol!!!!!!!
Dill-Ag13
AG
That's an hour of work for all of that if you know what you're doing. $600....
BlueAg2003
AG
The exact same thing happened to my 2016 Fusion a couple of weeks ago. The car stalled out just after I cleared an intersection and the wrench light came on. I let it rest for about ten minutes and started it with no issues. I took it to the Ford dealer the next day and it was the throttle body problem. They fixed it quickly because it was a recall and sent me on my way. It is frustrating you had to go to all of those lengths.
dubi
AG
aTm2004 said:

Ok, wife took it in and they called me. This is what they're saying is wrong...it's not the throttle body issue that Fords typically have. He's saying there's a lot of fuel deposit on the plugs and that the plate on the TB is dirty and not able to close properly.

He's recommending:
- Replace all plugs
- Clean TB
- Fuel system clean

All in of $640...with $200 of that being the fuel cleaning which he stressed "was the most important." How much are they trying to hose me? Seems like a lot for less than 60k miles.
Mr Dubi will do it for $440 and I'll babysit the kids for free!
aTm2004
AG
Ok, so a quick update...

I did a little research at work once my wife called me with the problem before she took it in. It all pointed to what I stated in the OP. When they called me to tell me what they saw and what they recommended, I told them I would discuss it with my wife and let them know. Something just didn't feel right about it. I got home and did some more research (forums, auto sites, etc) and it all pointed to what I stated in the OP.

I called them again today and asked some more questions to see if it all had to be done or if they felt it was one thing over another. He stated that the plugs could use a change, but I should be OK for another 20k or so miles (about where I'd think it was time), and that they felt the fuel system cleaning is what was needed. I prodded them on what all that entailed, and he went into the specifics. Seemed to be more than just dumping some fluid in the gas and letting it go. I still didn't feel comfortable with it because I didn't think this was what was wrong with it. I asked if they had been able to duplicate the problem, and he said "we've driven it a few times and it never died on us." I asked him to repeat himself, and he stated "it never died on us." I told him that it never died, it just lost power and would barely go. He said "so, it went into limp mode?" I told him yeah and he said "your wife told us it died." He said it wasn't throwing any codes, and I told him the little wrench showed up each time it happened and that she was able to turn the car off and it fixed the issue. He told me they would drive it some more and see if they could duplicate the issue. I told him she drove maybe 10 miles yesterday and it happened twice.

As soon as he hung up, I called my wife. The conversation went like this:
Me: Hey, what did you tell them when you took the car in?
Her: I told him it began sputtering.
Me: Did you tell him it died?
Her: He asked if it died and I told him "yes."
Me: You never told me it died.
Her: What does that mean?
Me: <internally>ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! YOU TOLD HIM IT DIED WITHOUT ****ING KNOWING WHAT IT IS?!?!?! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT DIEING MEANS?!?!?!</internally> It's when the car shuts off while driving or sitting at a redlight.
Her: Oh, it never shut off.
Me: So it never died?
Her: No.
Me: Ok.

She then began getting a bit defensive and saying that next time she will leave it on side of the road and let me deal with it. I had to tell her that I wasn't blaming her and just trying to get the facts, because they do matter, and that I didn't want to shell out hundreds of dollars when we're not sure if it will fix the issue. I would have taken it in, but I was at work 40 miles away and she didn't want to wait until I would be able to on Friday.

Anyway, I got a call back from them this afternoon saying that it happened while they were driving it and were able to get a code pulled, and it was the throttle body. It appears to be some kind of sensor in it. He said that he checked with Ford and there wasn't a recall or anything on it. I told him I had saw they extended the warranties on them for other Ford vehicles for that model year, but the Edge wasn't on there. He quoted me $204 out the door for the fix. I figured that was reasonable for me not having to go find a sensor and try to find time this weekend to do it.

I gave the shop the benefit of the doubt for 1 reason. I've taken my truck there three times with issues (all sensor related: park neutral, crank shaft, and fuel level) and they always came back and told me the problem was what I had concluded it could be by doing my own research. Only once did they have a code to pull. They have also quoted me in the ballpark of what I was reading online that others were paying for the repair and never tried to up sell me on anything. They did recommend a brake job be done within the next year last time I took it in, and when I did the brake job last month, it was time.
aTm2004
AG
This is the frustrating thing with the 2 issues we've had with it in the 4 years we've owned it. They're common issues with the vehicles that Ford refuses to fix. This issue is known for this engine, yet the Edge isn't on there. Other vehicles are, which makes my blood boil. My Frontier is 9 years old and the 3 things that have come up have all happened after 100k miles and 7+ years of ownership.
Old Sarge
AG
My Fusion threw the wrench light and went into limp mode a couple weeks ago. Started right up and ran fine, but it started increasing in frequency. Local dealer (bought it from 1Ags hookup in 2011) took care of it (ETB), no questions and fixed three other recalls which I did not know about. No charge.

The one that pisses me off is the sensor in the evaporator box, that costs a whopping $23. However, it involves removing the console, shifter, A pillar molding, and ENTIRE dash. Heard it costs $1600 or so at the dealer, so had an A/C shop do it for $600. Pitiful design. Just a bad look for Ford on that one.

So, my Fusion is batting 1000 on known issues, including what may be the next recall....the door latch fails. Yeah, I won that one too.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Your shop lost credibility when they said the TB was no the culprit and recommended plugs and a TB Cleaning and a fuel injector cleaning.

Reman TBs are around 150 dollars.

Ford OEM woth 3/36 is 230 or so.
dubi
AG
Our son's Mazda 3 had loss of power and a good throttle body spray down and 4 new spark plugs it was good as new with help from 1Ags.

The plugs were filthy!
Sazerac
AG
I just had the TB replaced by Ford on my '11 Edge under their recall 2 weeks ago. I'm not in warranty. I've only taken my vehicle to the dealer for the warranty issues. It is covered.
aTm2004
AG
What engine does it have? How did you find out it was under recall? The dealership said there wasn't one when I discussed it with them.
Sazerac
AG
it's the Edge Limited V6. I don't know, is that the 3.5L?

owner.ford.com
Notifications
it was listed. I actually got the letter in the mail from Ford a week later....

Car did the same thing. I posted it here:
http://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2790235
aTm2004
AG
Just the brake booster and MFT...both extending the warranty.
Sazerac
AG
well, it was certainly covered on mine.
aTm2004
AG
I called Ford to see if maybe it was covered, and they said it wasn't due to the build date on the vehicle. He told me that I needed to take it to the dealership and let them see if it was covered. I must have told him 4 times that I called the dealership to see if it was covered before taking it to an independent to get fixed and they said it wasn't. I don't think it ever got through to him that I spoke with the dealership. I then asked "what would taking it into the dealership accomplish that speaking with them wouldn't?" He couldn't answer that, and kept telling me to take it to the dealership. He also kept telling me that there wasn't a recall on it. No chit, they extended the warranties on it rather than recalling the vehicles. He didn't grasp that either. Dude must have been a tech grad or something.

My FIL told my wife he'd pay off what we owed on it if we wanted to trade it in on something. If the interest rate wasn't so low, it would already be paid off, but that offer is getting more and more tempting. He's going to be trading in my MIL's '14 Lexus GX in November...wonder what kind of a deal he'd make us on that. It's had a grand total of 0 issues since they've owned it and it doesn't have the chitty MFT.

I should also clarify that the vehicle has been pretty good outside of the 2 issues, which are annoying. I guess I'm asking too much to have a vehicle go 100k miles before dumb chit starts happening, especially known issues that appear to be common and overall design flaws (door ajar switch).
Sazerac
AG
Is your edge under warranty?

It's not in the recall but sure sounds like the issue.
aTm2004
AG
No, it's not under warranty. Ford told me mine isn't included with the extended warranty due to the build date.
Sazerac
AG
that would piss me off. you can try to raise a stink with Ford customer service. It's clearly the same issue.
Burdizzo
AG
My wife has a 2009 Taurus X with the Duratec 3.0 V6, 90k miles. Should I expect the same issues?
dubi
AG
aTm2004 said:

No, it's not under warranty. Ford told me mine isn't included with the extended warranty due to the build date.
Toyota told me the same thing about our Tundra and the Takata airbag recall.

Then 3 months later, we got the recall notice in the mail.
aTm2004
AG
I keep a paper trail on every car (in the book and on the cloud), and I'll be on the phone with Ford to get reimbursed if I get a letter.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
It woulda been cheaper for you to DIY it and move on.

All kidding aside though, these ETBs are a PITA.

Our company cars here are Buick Minivans that have all had ETB failures in the past two years. Driving along and boom. Suddenly back to idle. Turn off, restart, works fine again for a while.
Floridagal
I feel as if I should help your wife out a bit here. We own a 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 59,800 miles. While driving down the road the other day the AWD light came on, then the wrench light. Car immediately went into limp home mode and I pulled off to the side of the road. Since I had no acceleration I shut the car off. Thank God that no one else was on the road due to the stay at home order (essential employee). Called my husband - told him "car died". Now, since I have had 6 different issues with this car and the steering sensor, I knew to shut the car off and turn it back on - that miraculously fixes the issue for a short period of time - at least to get me to my destination. Got to work, called the dealership, and dropped the car off. They looked up my VIN, no recalls. They told me that it sounded like the ETB and they would call me after they ran the codes. He called me back and told me there was no history, no thrown codes and they tried to recreate the issue to no avail. He recommended changing out the Throttle Body, and we agreed to that. Cost was a bit under $275 and we were fine with that. THEN awe got home and did some research to find that 1.6 million cars (Fords and Mercury) during 09-13 had this known issue and a customer satisfaction program was initiated. As mentioned above, it did not include the Edge. Soooo, I called Ford. I did more research. My car did not qualify because the date DD date needed to be prior to 12/31/12. Guess the date on my car? 1/1/13. So, there we have it. I will keep you updated as I create a letter to Ford, and may consider looping in the NTSB. Not because of the $275 - but because one simply cannot travel 50 MPH and have their car go into limp mode with no power. It's just not safe. It is my opinion Ford missed the boat here, and I can only hope no one has to die to figure that out. Cheers!
Picard
AG
Holy thread bump Rookie! And your first post at that.

Old Sarge
AG
My '12 Fusion did it to me pulling out into traffic at 90 deg on a 70 mph highway and accelerating up to speed. In light traffic thank goodness. Pulled over, turned it off, and restarted and it worked fine. For five miles or so, then the same thing. It reminded me of the old carburetor accel stalls when not adjusted right. Thank goodness I had experienced that as a kid and knew what to do.

This was about 3 years ago. Throttle body issue was covered by Ford, and they found three other "service bulletins that needed work that they covered, even though out of warranty.

The only issue that really pissed me off is the climate control $30 sensor that is a POS and goes out. It is under the dash that requires the A pillars, gear shift, console and entire dash to be removed to change that cheap ass sensor in about as many seconds as the cost. Then reassemble it all. Dealer $1K to perform. Thankfully, a local GOOD A/C shop did it for a little over half that.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.