Rear tires bowing out (tilted in) on our SUV...possible causes?

17,408 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was driving behind my wife the other day and noticed the rear tires on our 2013 Kia Sorento looked odd...basically they looked like they were tilting in at the top. When we got home I looked closer and the inside of the rear drivers side tire is completely worn and the cord is showing. The oddity is the passenger side rear tire has basically even wear.

All 4 tires are low on tread and need replacing, but what could be the cause of the bowing of the rear tires?

*******UPDATE*********

Well, I may have a bigger problem now. Got 4 new tires and a wheel alignment from pepboys and the rear tires appear to still bow out at the bottom (not quite as bad though), but the car now pulls HARD to the right.

Didn't have that problem before, but I have to keep a slight tug on the wheel to the left to keep it from veering right. I'm in the lane to the right of me within 5 seconds of taking my hands off the wheel. Been reading up on various Kia car forums and getting pretty worried as this seems to be a common issue.

Since this occurred immediately after the new tires and alignment, which is the culprit? The pepboys experience this morning was a TERRIBLE and long ordeal, and I'm honestly afraid of having these fools touch my car again but something is wrong. Is another alignment at a different place a good idea?

Picard
AG
Ask her what she ran over

drumboy
AG
Too much junk in the trunk?
javajaws
AG
Take it in for an alignment. Bet the camber is wayyy off on that wheel.
FC12
I've noticed quite a few CUV's and SUV's with hat set up. The late model Sequoia is one my that has the rear tires set up that way. BMW does it too. Have always assumed it was set that way from the factory.
robertcope
FC12 said:

I've noticed quite a few CUV's and SUV's with hat set up. The late model Sequoia is one my that has the rear tires set up that way. BMW does it too. Have always assumed it was set that way from the factory.
I've noticed it, as well. Huge amounts of camber in the rear. Anyhow, someone said it earlier, go get it aligned and see how far off it is from spec.

robert
MouthBQ98
AG
IRS is soft and with the tall top heavy bodies of SUV, the camber helps with body roll. It almost seems like they don't even take tire wear into account.
Furlock Bones
AG
its all about that stance yo.

mustang6tee8
AG
Negative camber.
DamageDone
AG
Loved that look on a datsun 280z
FDXAg
AG
UPDATE*********

Well, I may have a bigger problem now. Got 4 new tires and a wheel alignment from pepboys and the rear tires appear to still bow out at the bottom (not quite as bad though), but the car now pulls HARD to the right.

Didn't have that problem before, but I have to keep a slight tug on the wheel to the left to keep it from veering right. I'm in the lane to the right of me within 5 seconds of taking my hands off the wheel. Been reading up on various Kia car forums and getting pretty worried as this seems to be a common issue.

Since this occurred immediately after the new tires and alignment, which is the culprit? The pepboys experience this morning was a TERRIBLE and long ordeal, and I'm honestly afraid of having these fools touch my car again but something is wrong. Is another alignment at a different place a good idea?
The Wonderer
AG
The Wonderer
AG
First off, don't go to Pepboys. Since you already have, take back to them and tell them to fix it.
coppag92
AG
The Wonderer said:

1. First off, don't go to Pepboys.
2. Since you already have, take back to them and tell them to fix it.
Ditto and Ditto
Furlock Bones
AG
The Wonderer said:

Haha yes.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
1. Never let pepboys work on your car.
2. WHat kind of tires were installed?
3. What does the alignment sheet say for before and after measurements? Please post a photo of it here.
4. If the rear camber was far negative, it would have shown on the sheet. THe way to correct this would be to install camber bolts. These are not expensive at all and will let you adjust the camber if its far out of spec.

IIRC Kia Sorento and Santa Fe both show -1 Deg Camber as the alignment spec.
FDXAg
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

1. Never let pepboys work on your car.
2. WHat kind of tires were installed?
3. What does the alignment sheet say for before and after measurements? Please post a photo of it here.
4. If the rear camber was far negative, it would have shown on the sheet. THe way to correct this would be to install camber bolts. These are not expensive at all and will let you adjust the camber if its far out of spec.

Well, go ahead and blast me now because:

1) I now know never to use pepboys. I was just planning on getting tires there.

2) The new tires are Definity HP100 ...made by Cooper tire

3) I'm an idiot, but I was never given a sheet detailing the specs of the alignment when it was finished. Part of that is because I didn't even think about it after being there for 4 hours...ugh. Would they have the ability to get this sheet from the alignment when I go back to tell them they need to fix it?

4) Should I be dealing with them anymore and would they be able to adjust using the camber bolts you mentioned or do I need to find an actual alignment shop for that?

Also, is the veering to the right issue I'm now having due to the rear camber being off or is that more related to a front end alignment issue? Before the new tires and alignment, the car didn't have an issue keeping straight when I let go of the wheel.
FDXAg
AG
I'm going to try and get a rear picture of my vehicle and post here for y'all tonight so you can see if the rear tires look off. Honestly, after just looking at google image search of pictures of the back end of some Kia Sorentos, I'm now not so sure mine is any different looking. They all seem to look slightly bowed out to me. I wonder if they are set that way from the factory?
The Wonderer
AG
FDXAg said:

I'm going to try and get a rear picture of my vehicle and post here for y'all tonight so you can see if the rear tires look off. Honestly, after just looking at google image search of pictures of the back end of some Kia Sorentos, I'm now not so sure mine is any different looking. They all seem to look slightly bowed out to me. I wonder if they are set that way from the factory?

As MouthBQ stated:
Quote:

IRS is soft and with the tall top heavy bodies of SUV, the camber helps with body roll. It almost seems like they don't even take tire wear into account.

And 1ags:
Quote:

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Quote:

Well, go ahead and blast me now because:

1) I now know never to use pepboys. I was just planning on getting tires there.

My friend was the manager at the copperfield one, I trusted him when he was there but when he left, I never let them touch anyones car.

Quote:

2) The new tires are Definity HP100 ...made by Cooper tire

Careful. Look at the sidewall. Some Definity tires are made in Ohio, many others are made in China.

Quote:

3) I'm an idiot, but I was never given a sheet detailing the specs of the alignment when it was finished. Part of that is because I didn't even think about it after being there for 4 hours...ugh. Would they have the ability to get this sheet from the alignment when I go back to tell them they need to fix it?

They should have the record on their aligment machine history. ASk for a sheet. The sheet will show before and after. Even if they aligned it and were unable to get it within spec, they should have told you. I'm surprised the person who aligned it didnt drive it to verify it was ok before giving it back to you.

Quote:

4) Should I be dealing with them anymore and would they be able to adjust using the camber bolts you mentioned or do I need to find an actual alignment shop for that?

IF you paid for an alignment you damned well better be able to have a straight driving car. You may have to pay for the bolts if they're needed. Without the specs its hard to tell. The factory bolts may offer NO adjustment or only a teeny bit.

Quote:

Also, is the veering to the right issue I'm now having due to the rear camber being off or is that more related to a front end alignment issue? Before the new tires and alignment, the car didn't have an issue keeping straight when I let go of the wheel.

Most modern cars have 0-2 degrees of negative camber. Camber wont cause a pull but uneven camber will. I.e. they adjusted it on one side but not the other.
FDXAg
AG
Uhoh, just looked at my sidewalls and they are made in Thailand. What does that mean and how bad is that?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Better than China.

I'd go back in and speak to the service manager about the alignment issue.

Explain to him that the car pulls worse than before tires and alignment, explain that you werent provided a sheet with specs and before/after data.
aggie897
AG
I had an alignment done at the local dodge dealer after they replaced shocks under warranty. When I asked for the print out they said they would go get it. The tech came back and said he couldn't find it and it wasn't saved in the system. I called BS and they refunded my money. It's a shame people aren't honest or stand behind their work anymore.
I hope they take care of your situation or refund you.
FDXAg
AG
Went back tonight after work to get the spec sheet and was told the machine only saves the last 10 alignments done. This was after I called earlier in the day and was told they could retrieve it for me.

They did say I could come back tomorrow and they'd check it again and correct it if it's wrong....

Sigh
dubi
AG
Our Tucson had a camber issue that was fixed with an after market camber kit.

Make them put your car back on the alignment machine and get the measurements for you.

Also tell them you want real tires, not the crap they sold you. If they won't take them back, dispute the purchase on your credit card.

Only buy cheap tires to sell a car.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
FDXAg said:

Went back tonight after work to get the spec sheet and was told the machine only saves the last 10 alignments done. This was after I called earlier in the day and was told they could retrieve it for me.

They did say I could come back tomorrow and they'd check it again and correct it if it's wrong....

Sigh
Pep Boys
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.