Moped Insurance

2,124 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieforester05
drewbie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't dig too deep through threads on this forum, so forgive me if it's been asked recently. I live in Houston and am considering buying a moped for recreational driving inside the loop. I've obtained quotes with various coverages and was wondering if I should go bare bones or a better package? Cost difference isn't huge, but if I can save money I'd like to.

Thoughts on cheaper coverage...if I'm at fault the damage to a car will likely be fairly inexpensive. But I'm hit by an under/uninsured motorist I could be substantially injured since I'm riding a 250 pound bike, and a cheap policy doesn't help with that.

General comments/thoughts from the auto board? Thanks!
mm98
AG
All relative to what kind of difference we are talking about.

What are the quotes totals?
drewbie08
AG
$6 a month for the basic coverage. ~$22/month for middle. ~$40/month for most coverage.
mm98
AG
I'd go with the most you can afford...$40 seems cheap.

And when I had my bike all my near accidents were inside the loop. It's a damn dangerous place to drive.
drewbie08
AG
Interesting. You sound like you've beenever riding a while and have some experience. Any general advice? I don't have any motorcycle or powered bike experience, but have been riding road bikes for 15 years.
Agmechanic
AG
You gonna die
coolerguy12
AG
Make sure you get one with working lights and plenty of get-up. Worst thing is being invisible at night and not being able to move quicker than the cars around you. I said quicker, not faster.

I suggest a Yamaha Zuma if you want affordable reliability. Both the 50cc two stroke or the 125 cc 4 stroke are great. If you go Chinese you need a 150 GY6. I can almost guarantee you that 3-4 parts will break in the first 1000 miles but if you're mechanically inclined you can fix 90% of it with a $20 part.
drewbie08
AG
I'm looking at the piaggio fly 150. I know very little about mopeds, but there is a dealer less than a mile from my house, and I had a friend who got one a few months ago who loves it.
coolerguy12
AG
Can't go wrong with an Italian moped

drewbie08
AG
Is that sarcasm? I know very little about motor bikes?
coolerguy12
AG
It's not. If you can afford Italian it should last a long time.
drumboy
AG
If you don't get a Ruckus you're doing it wrong.

How much are you going to spend on this thing? I was going to get a Ruckus several years ago cause my commute was all ITL and motorcycles could park on site at my work but I got a KLR650 for same price and then rode it to mexEEco.

I always went with cheaper insurance (Progressive) but luckily never had to use it.

Where are you getting the cheap quotes from? My old beem hasn't been insured in over a year cause I never ride it.
TSJ
AG
Have you thought about getting a motorcycle? Either way please take a motorcycle safety course, it will lower your insurance and help you better acclimate to two wheels.
drumboy
AG
TSJ said:

Have you thought about getting a motorcycle? Either way please take a motorcycle safety course, it will lower your insurance and help you better acclimate to two wheels.
I believe it's required now to get an M endorsement.
coolerguy12
AG
A Ruckus is over priced, slow, and uncomfortable. People love them which drives up the price but you're paying for the name.
drumboy
AG
You're also paying to ride this

instead of being this guy:

Plus it's a Honda so it's gonna last.
highvelocity
AG
buy a ruckus, slam that bish, collect panties
coolerguy12
AG
I agree that they look sweet but for what they are the market is crazy overpriced. I could buy a $300 Chinese moped on Craigslist and drive circles around a stock Ruckus.
mm98
AG
drewbie08 said:

Interesting. You sound like you've beenever riding a while and have some experience. Any general advice? I don't have any motorcycle or powered bike experience, but have been riding road bikes for 15 years.

I gave up motorcycles around 10 years ago. I do ride road bikes though...nothing really to compare between the two, except you're still on 2 wheels and expect for people not to see you, and be cautious of that.

The biggest learning thing for me was shifting/breaking, and the muscle memory/reflexes it takes to become comfortable with that in split second decision scenarios. However I think all mopeds/scooters are automatic so that might be irrelevant to you.

Know the roads you're riding on...potholes, broken concrete, surface changes etc...all feel a lot different at 40-50mph vs 15mph on 23mm tires. Especially inside the loop where damn near every road is patched and uneven.

In a busy intersection when the light turns green, NEVER be the first guy through. You're on a moped so that likely won't be possible anyway....

Wear a helmet and dress appropriately.

Basically, with motorcycles or scooters in traffic, you don't get too many chances with "do-overs" if you're in a wreck so just be cautious.

And take the safety course!!!!!

Mookie
AG
i also vote for a ruckus.

I can't believe no one has commented on the difference between riding a moped and ****ing a fat chick.
Silvy
AG
CT70 > Ruckus

drewbie08
AG
mm98 said:

drewbie08 said:

I gave up motorcycles around 10 years ago. I do ride road bikes though...nothing really to compare between the two, except you're still on 2 wheels and expect for people not to see you, and be cautious of that.

The biggest learning thing for me was shifting/breaking, and the muscle memory/reflexes it takes to become comfortable with that in split second decision scenarios. However I think all mopeds/scooters are automatic so that might be irrelevant to you.

Know the roads you're riding on...potholes, broken concrete, surface changes etc...all feel a lot different at 40-50mph vs 15mph on 23mm tires. Especially inside the loop where damn near every road is patched and uneven.

In a busy intersection when the light turns green, NEVER be the first guy through. You're on a moped so that likely won't be possible anyway....

Wear a helmet and dress appropriately.

Basically, with motorcycles or scooters in traffic, you don't get too many chances with "do-overs" if you're in a wreck so just be cautious.

And take the safety course!!!!!

Great information! The mrs (no rule 1) and I are signed up for a class next weekend. It's two full days, but I've heard it's very good. I'm very familiar with the local roads, although on very small wheels you're right, it will be different than riding over on my road bicycle. Thanks again.

Edited for damn autocorrect.
drewbie08
AG
I do have an additional question or two. What's the standard protocol for parking? Can you park up near the door by the sidewalk (but not on it), or do you find a skinny spot in the regular parking lot? What about locking it up? Should I buy any separate lock to discourage theives, or is it alright with the basic security?
mm98
AG
I don't think I frequented any places that had dedicated MC parking. I just used spots close to the door, and if there was just a ton of space on the sidewalk, occasionally I'd park there. But I'd always check with the business owner too to see if they minded. Remember anywhere you park in a tight spot you have to be able to "walk and control" your way out backwards.

Regarding locking it up, I just parked, took out the key, and didn't worry about it until I left.
The Wonderer
AG
Get the UI/UM insurance you can.

The safety course is required now to get the M license (required on 50cc and higher)

keep in mind that you are riding without a cage and not a lot of power.

They are a blast to have.
drewbie08
AG
Yeah we're looking at the 150 cc option. I'm excited to take the riding class, the mrs is a little intimidated. But I think we'll learn a lot and it will be very useful if I ever buy a motorcycle. Thanks all for the comments.
coolerguy12
AG
silverado_lover said:

CT70 > Ruckus

I had a trail50 for a little while but couldn't get the damn thing to spark. I'm sure it would have been a really fun bike.
coolerguy12
AG
Mookie said:

i also vote for a ruckus.

I can't believe no one has commented on the difference between riding a moped and ****ing a fat chick.

The similarity between them. Fun to ride but you don't want your friends to know.
drumboy
AG
silverado_lover said:

CT70 > Ruckus

Yep, and I'm sure a nice one will cost as much. I saw a couple mint ones at the Barber Vintage Festival a couple years back.

I still have my first Z50 in my shed that I learned to ride on in the mid 80s that looks similar. Looks like this but more rust and dents.
aggieforester05
AG
Have you considered a Honda Grom? They look like a lot of fun:

Honda Grom

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.