Auto transport recommendations

1,556 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agnerd
Sq16Aggie2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My parents are going to be spending a few months at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and want to have their car transported over there so they can get around while undergoing surgery. Can y'all recommend a reputable auto transport company to use?
CanyonAg77
AG
Road trip + one way ticket for a retired friend of theirs?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Id suggest finding a family friend and asking them to drive it there.

Two day trip at the most.
texrover91
AG
If it comes to needing a broker; Laura at VSG is who I use:

laura@vehicleshippinggroup.com

Duncan Idaho
CanyonAg77 said:

Road trip + one way ticket for a retired friend of theirs?

Or their son. Who could help get them settled.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Not DAS.
CanyonAg77
AG
So, just for fun, I ran a Houston to Baltimore quote. Basically $550. A Southwest ticket is under $100 if you go far enough out, and adding 2-3 nights in motels plus meals and gas, it's probably a wash.

I don't blame the OP for not doing it himself. He's probably young enough he doesn't have a lot of vacation built up. Or he might have kids.

But I am serious about a retired person or couple. There's probably one of their friends who wouldn't mind having a little mini-vacation paid for. Maybe even be willing to share some of the costs, especially if it's to help out a friend in need.

Another consideration might be a long-term rental. Or go to one of the web sites where you take over the lease for someone. Or even buy a cheap car in Baltimore, and sell it when you leave.
Sq16Aggie2006
CanyonAg77 said:

So, just for fun, I ran a Houston to Baltimore quote. Basically $550. A Southwest ticket is under $100 if you go far enough out, and adding 2-3 nights in motels plus meals and gas, it's probably a wash.

I don't blame the OP for not doing it himself. He's probably young enough he doesn't have a lot of vacation built up. Or he might have kids.

But I am serious about a retired person or couple. There's probably one of their friends who wouldn't mind having a little mini-vacation paid for. Maybe even be willing to share some of the costs, especially if it's to help out a friend in need.

Another consideration might be a long-term rental. Or go to one of the web sites where you take over the lease for someone. Or even buy a cheap car in Baltimore, and sell it when you leave.
I'd love to do the trip; unfortunately the old man was the President/CEO of our family companies, and with his illness it's passed on to me and I can't take the time away from the office right now we're so crazy busy.

My parents are absolutely fine with whatever it costs; and it turns out that a freight forwarder of ours does auto-shipping and is going to put it in a closed box by itself for 1300. It's a BMW X5M, so I want to make sure it doesn't get dinged when it's on the way there.

Thanks for the help gentlemen, great advice all around.
texrover91
AG
That's not a bad number for a FF/box (assuming it's Texas to east coast) and broker fees. Open from west coast I've been around 850-950$ With fees

Word of caution to all - they're unavoidable but watch out for those pesky Russian transporters - there are good ones and oh so bad bad ones - (speak English much?)
Rexter
Dang. I work a 4/4 schedule and would have driven it and hopped on SWA to get back....assuming I could have stopped in Atlanta for a day or 2 on the way.
FC12
NM
Fairview
AG
When we moved from Houston to Colorado I had our three cars shipped. I researched a ton and found the most reputable place I could because the industry is known for being terrible. Never again. If I had to do it over again I'd make multiple trips.
IDAGG
AG
Ehhhh X5M..........Baltimore? Make sure their auto policy covers theft.

OTOH I bet you could get some volunteers to drive an X5M to Baltimore that would be willing to pay their own way.

In all seriousness, I am glad you found a good auto transporter.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Try Wagoneer or Ready Transport.
Silvy
AG
How much time do you have?
agnerd
AG
Blue Ridge Parkway is on my bucket list! Let me know If the shipping thing falls through. I can probably drive it up there for a plane ticket if the scheduling works out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.