2014 Ford Explorer - Alternator?

1,619 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoTheySay
SoTheySay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Mid last week I was having issues with electrical things, mainly the touch screen. My backup cam wouldn't always pop up, sometimes the entire screen was black, clock was wrong. I assumed it was just something wrong with the screen.

I was sitting in traffic a day or two later and felt the car sorta stall a few times. I went the same day to have my battery tested just in case. I was told that my battery was fine but there was an issue with my charging system but they weren't sure what.

I intend to take it to Ford tomorrow but any ideas as to what I'm looking at? Mainly how long this is going to take and how much it's going to cost me.

Being a one car family in this household is hell.
The Wonderer
AG
Are you under warranty?

If not, you can have your alternator tested at Oreillys or Autozone.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Who told you?

These signs are are classic battery failure signs.

Considering your car was built over 3 years ago, its time to start looking at the battery...
dubi
AG
Run to Walmart and get a battery.
SoTheySay
S
Under warranty - was a lease that I JUST bought out and purchased an extended warranty on.

Had the battery tested at Wal Mart. I replaced the battery within the last year or so.
The Wonderer
AG
Two batteries under 3 years sounds a little suspicious.
SoTheySay
S
I got the car in October 2013. Battery was replaced sometime just before Christmas (I remember entertaining children in WalMart for ages).
SoTheySay
S
I honestly don't know enough about cars but I do spend a lot of time in mine. I drive over 20k a year. And probably spend way too much time idling with sleeping children and emailing.
dubi
AG
I always asssume battery.

Quick and easy. And cheap.
SoTheySay
S
He said it was perfectly fine. Then he went to get something and run a more thorough test. That's when he said it had something to do with the charging system and said alternator was a possibility.

I was fully prepared to purchase a battery.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Well if its under warranty take it in.

SoTheySay
S
I called this morning and they suggested I do a reset on the touch thing. I've done that and everything I mentioned before - backup camera, time, screen - it's all working.

I purchased this in Caldwell so if I take it there they will look at it for free and I won't have a deductible. If I do it here I am charged just for the diagnostic and will have a deductible.

The issue with bringing it in is that they ask you to leave your car for the day. Not exactly the easiest thing for me.
I'm going to see how it plays out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.