winch rating capacity?

1,178 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Burdizzo
AgTech88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the pulling capacity of a 2000 pound rated winch? Sounds like a dumb question... but what I mean can a 2000 # winch pull a car weighing more than that since it is a rolling load?

I have to load a car on a trailer - car weighs 3000 pounds + - can I use a winch rated at 2000 pounds?

Hope that makes sense...
dlp3719
AG
I'd say you're good.

....Be sure and film it just in case.
big ben
AG
If car can be put in neutral your fine
dubi
AG
big ben said:

Says the guy whose truck is wrecked on all 4 sides!
permabull
AG
AgTech88
AG
OK - so you guys sound like you know what your talking about...

I have to get these cars into a warehouse that has a 2' high dock and our ramps are 8' long. The car is a little under 3500 pounds.

Is the 2000 pond winch enough to drag it up the ramps?
MouthBQ98
AG
That's a 4:1 slope. Actually fairly steep. Keep in mind a winch only pulls at its max rating on the first wrap around the spool. As you get to the second, third etc later of cable you are increasing the radius of the spool and proportionally lowering the torque provided by the gear ratio, i.e. Increasing the load on the motor.

A snatch block and playing out twice as much cable will allow it to work.
javajaws
AG
If you use a snatch block and double the line back you will effectively double the pulling power of your winch. But unless your winch is a total POS I think you'll be ok. You only have the rolling resistance up the ramp to pull, which will be less than the total weight of the vehicle (unless you get hung up on something or the vehicle doesn't otherwise roll).
big ben
AG
dubi said:

big ben said:

Says the guy whose truck is wrecked on all 4 sides!
CanyonAg77
AG
Did you not like the answers you got on the Outdoors Board?
Burdizzo
AG
Keep in mind if you use a snatch block you also need double the cable. Depending on how far you need to pull, that may or may not be an issue. Make sure you spool has enough room for all that cable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.