Security against tailgate and vehicle theft?

2,684 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RC_57
Old Jock 1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a 2014 F-250. My tailgate was recently stolen. The new one gets installed today.

1) Any recommendations for tailgate security measures other than Keeping it locked? Tie in the lock to my key fob? I've heard there are some other good DIY ways to make theft really difficult?

2) What's a good, cost-effective measure to avoid whole-vehicle theft? Does the Club still work? LoJack? Yes, the 1990s are calling, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!
Corps_Ag12
AG
Hose clamps on both sides of the tailgate (makes dumb thieves think they need to take both off).
Aggietaco
AG
1. Keep your tailgate locked.
2. Hose clamp.
3. Back up close enough to an object that makes it difficult to remove tailgate, especially if parking for extended periods of time.
4. Petition to reinstate loss of hand rule for convicted thieves.
sts7049
AG
Quote:

the Club
sawemoffshort07
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8253DAT-Stainless-Tailgate/dp/B007OSL3DY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477079500&sr=8-1&keywords=tailgate+lock
JSKolache
AG
Keep it locked. If it doesn't have a lock, check Pop And Lock for alternatives.
Old Jock 1997
AG
sts7049 said:

Quote:

the Club

As helpful as the laughing Emoji is...do you have any alternative suggestions, which was the entire point of my post and the entire thread? My apologies if that wasn't clear enough.
Old Jock 1997
AG
sawemoffshort07 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8253DAT-Stainless-Tailgate/dp/B007OSL3DY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477079500&sr=8-1&keywords=tailgate+lock

Thank you! I've ordered one and will install it Monday.
sawemoffshort07
AG
No problem. Got one on mine and on the work trucks. Enough of a deterrent to hopefully rule out your tailgate
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Jimmi Jammers for your door panels.
Hoyt Ag
AG
About to get a 2016 F150 w/ 5.0. Do these work for the 2016 as well? What about LoJack or something similar, is it worth it? What do yall recommend?
Mr. Dubi
Buy a Dodge...
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

About to get a 2016 F150 w/ 5.0. Do these work for the 2016 as well? What about LoJack or something similar, is it worth it? What do yall recommend?
Depends on where you work/keep the car garaged etc.

And dont keep spare keys in glove box.....

And yes the Jammers work.
BlackLab
AG
I've heard of a lot of Ford owners that get their locks popped. Is this a Ford thing or does it happen just as much to Chevy/gmc?
Hoyt Ag
AG
Live in Heights, work downtown. It wont fit in my garage, so being in the driveway I want to get some extra security. Plan on getting wheel locks and Jammers, but is something like LoJack worth it or something of the like?
Hoyt Ag
AG
Didnt like them on the test drive.
Matsui
AG
back into driveway at home so its close to garage/house
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Live in Heights, work downtown. It wont fit in my garage, so being in the driveway I want to get some extra security. Plan on getting wheel locks and Jammers, but is something like LoJack worth it or something of the like?
ITs a lot of effort to steal new trucks with he 80 bit keys.

Really, even a flashing LED light on the dashboard makes thieves walk the other way.

I've installed dash LEDs that turn on automatically when the ignition is switched off and blinked like a LED car alarm light.
RC_57
AG
Aggietaco said:

1. Keep your tailgate locked.
2. Hose clamp.
3. Back up close enough to an object that makes it difficult to remove tailgate, especially if parking for extended periods of time.
4. Petition to reinstate loss of hand rule for convicted thieves.
Follows to the "t" what I practice

Except for #4

After having my new race trailer full of tools and spares stolen, I say "Choot em"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.