Help FJ80

6,934 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
02CobraC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need advice on price. Guy is selling me a 95 with 350k miles. Leather is worn. Has the 3 factory lockers. He wants $4,000. What is a good buying price?
aggiepaintrain
AG
How are the axles, head gasket, suspension components, armored? Rusty? Paint good?
Lots of variables
02CobraC
AG
Need to check suspension. Owner uses it for trails has its regular brush scratches, no dents no extra accessories besides plain bumper
aggiepaintrain
AG
02CobraC
AG
Exactly what I was thinking. Wanted to make sure I was in the ball park. Thanks!
mrmill3218
AG
I wouldn't pay 4k for one that has 350k miles on it. I got one for $2,500 that has 250k miles.
02CobraC
AG
Mill, yours has three lockers? I know you can add them, but if you do how good do they work?
TSJ
AG
02CobraC said:

Mill, yours has three lockers? I know you can add them, but if you do how good do they work?

I have a triple locked fzj. The center diff engages pretty easily with shifting to low range. The axles can take a while; the gears have to align before locking out. Don't test them on pavement, find some dirt.

If it doesn't have a good maintence history have several thousand bucks set aside to catch up on preventative maintenance.

Good luck!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TSJ said:

02CobraC said:

I have a triple locked fzj. The center diff engages pretty easily with shifting to low range. The axles can take a while; the gears have to align before locking out. Don't test them on pavement, find some dirt.

If it doesn't have a good maintence history have several thousand bucks set aside to catch up on preventative maintenance.

Good luck!
Did you do the CDL mod?

aggiepaintrain
AG
only several thousand?

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

only several thousand?

The age old "nothing more expensive than a Cheap [insert Luxury/specialized vehicle here]....."
mrmill3218
AG
02CobraC said:

Mine only has the center diff lock.
TSJ
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

TSJ said:

02CobraC said:

Good luck!
Did you do the CDL mod?

Negative, I've got a 94 so it I am little more limited on finding a switch. I have the harness pulled through opening when I get around to it. It just hasn't been a priority yet.
Complete Idiot
02CobraC said:

Need advice on price. Guy is selling me a 95 with 350k miles. Leather is worn. Has the 3 factory lockers. He wants $4,000. What is a good buying price?
How do you plan to use the truck? Daily driver? Weekend driver? Trail rig?
02CobraC
AG
Mainly ranch and travel from the valley to SPI. Won't be a daily driver.
02CobraC
AG
So when the front and rear lockers are engaged, does the rear locker light flash and the front locker stay solid? I ask cause I engaged both lockers and the rear was flashing.
p_bubel
I would assume flashing means there was some sort of problem with engagement.
TSJ
AG
02CobraC said:

So when the front and rear lockers are engaged, does the rear locker light flash and the front locker stay solid? I ask cause I engaged both lockers and the rear was flashing.
Solid light means that axle is locked. Mine dont necessary lock at the same time and you may have to turn a little to get the rear locked up. I don't suggest turning if you have front locked as it is a no-no to do any real turning with the steering axle locked.

Next time just turn on the rear and find some dirt and do some figure 8's. If the light doesn't come on you'll have to do more in depth troubleshooting
02CobraC
AG
Thanks....went out again and tried it on some gravel. Front locker light immediately turns solid, the rear light blinks until you move forward a bit. Don't think that's normal if you need it at the time and won't work till the vehicle actually moves.
Complete Idiot
Nah, that's pretty normal - be lucky it even works on a vehicle at that mileage. It could probably be taken apart and serviced if you want better performance, but as long as it locks I call it a locker.

My rear locker is rusted out and would have to be replaced. 3 locked wheels is enough for anything I'd try to do.
TSJ
AG
If you activate rear axle when you have a slipping situation, one side of the axle will spin and line up the diff and lock. It shouldn't be a problem for more than a couple of seconds.
aggiepaintrain
AG
the build goes on, and on, and on...

02CobraC
AG
Dang! Very nice!
02CobraC
AG
Mileage is pushing me away a bit but for $2,500 and he has agreed I say why not. Still have till Sunday to decide if I pull the trigger. Want for the beach.
Complete Idiot
02CobraC said:

Mileage is pushing me away a bit but for $2,500 and he has agreed I say why not. Still have till Sunday to decide if I pull the trigger. Want for the beach.
It's a good beach rig.

I bought mine a couple years ago, I was told by the local Land Cruiser shop that you can part out the factory locker system for $2k alone. YOu can't really lose much money at $2500.
02CobraC
AG
Sounds good
KY AG
AG
Looking at this one in a few hours. Thoughts?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5835042916.html
02CobraC
AG
Looks good. I don't know much about LC but I do know about not giving too much money. Offer $5,000
aggiepaintrain
AG
Check undercarriage for rust, seats are likely shot. Hood needs repainting. Check paint all over including top. Ask about head gasket. Need more info about tires, suspension, AC.

Not seeing $7k
KY AG
AG
Thanks APT, going to do just that.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I may have one for sale at Christmas....
02CobraC
AG
Details? Pics?
CATAGBQ04
AG
Better be taking it to BB first!
02CobraC
AG
Well I bought it. Hope I can display the pic.

CATAGBQ04
AG
Think I saw one in Turks and Caicos just like that last week
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.