Buying a Jeep Wrangler

4,562 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
thaed137
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So wife has been wanting a Jeep for a long time. I couldn't find a more recent thread in my searching. I have a few questions. We would be looking at a 4 door Wrangler. We tend to keep our vehicles for 8-10 years.

I'm looking at the Rubicon level Jeep but am unsure if it is necessarily worth it or not? I think we would eventually want larger wheels and maybe a few other upgrades, nothing crazy.

We typically buy new but if looking used are there certain years to look out for? Reading showed the engine changed after 2012?

I know we will want a hard top but are there other features that you deem must haves or are there some I should stay away from?

Any other general advice? Is waiting for next year's models going to be worth anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.
permabull
AG
TSW2012
AG
Is this going to be a daily driver or weekend toy? What's the budget? Late model used are near as makes no difference the price of new.
thaed137
AG
This would be a daily driver for my wife.

From my research so far, I know the higher end tends be upper $30's. Something in the $25-$40K range is what I'm probably in.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Used late model rubicons are going for 40-50k right now
thaed137
AG
Yah doing more research on that it seems to be closer to the those prices. I was taking the MSRP on the Jeep Website and going from there and not sure if those are based on two door models instead of the pictured four door because when I do a physical search the price jumps. Maybe that is the ploy.

I'm ok going that high if they are worth it compared to a Sahara etc..
javajaws
AG
Here's my thoughts:

If you plan on getting 35" tires you might as well get the Rubi so you can get 4.10 gears. If you'll be getting 33" tires though the 3.73 is a great match and you can save yourself some money for tires and bling by not getting the Rubi. But if you plan on serious offroading (rock krawling, mudding, etc.) you'll probably be better off with the Rubi since it comes with lockers and the Dana 44 up front.

You can re-gear and/or add lockers to a Sport...but you're talking $1k/locker and $500 for gears + labor.

If you don't want the Rubi, get the Sport unless you like the color match fenders/hard top.

No one who has ever bought a Rubi has ever said "I wish I would have got a Sport/Sahara instead".

Deals CAN be had...I got my '16 JKU Sport for 10% off msrp (Austin).
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have Jeep dealer contact near houston if you want new.

IMO, if you want a jeep, buy the cheapest one you can buy (S or Sport or whatever) and build it the way you want it.

You get a blank canvas. Go as mild or wild as you want.

Change your wheels and tires to what you want

Change the gear ratio to 3.73 or 4.10s to push the tires, lockers, add

Leather or neoprene covers,

All the 'murica stickers/graphics you want. Confederate flag, Wounded warrior, dragon logos etc.

Still come out cheaper and have a more capable machine than what the factory can offer, plus the fun of building it.
ac04
if it's a daily driver for your wife you do not need a rubi. order a new sport with the options you want.
Street Fighter
AG
I've heard that your ***** will fall off if you don't get a Rubicon.
Say Chowdah
AG
Jeeps are like boats. Determine why you want it and go from there.

If you like bass fishing in lakes, you don't buy an off shore sailboat.

The buying and customizing is a really good idea if you are into doing the work.

If she wants it for the cache, a lifted, cleaned and waxed Rubicon is a hard to beat (even if it never gets off the asphalt)!
bmks270
AG
I ordered mine from factory, 4 door sport with 3.73 and trac-lok, side step rails, hard top, with the connectivity package, automatic, cloth seats. To see the price just enter those specs on the website. Also, took about 8 weeks for delivery.

If it is going to be a daily driver I personally think the higher price of a rubicon could be better spent depending on your finances.

Your wife will probably never need a locker, and if you check some videos on the wrangler's "brake lock differential" it is pretty impressive, it uses the brakes to brake the spinning wheel to cause the wheel
With traction to rotate, mimicking the funtion of a limited slip and/or locker, though it is no replacement for a locking diff, it is way more capable than just open diffs.

My only complaint so far is the horrible audio quality which I plan to upgrade all of the speakers.

The sport could definitely look more aggressive with a more aggressive tire than came with it, and maybe a different rim, but it still looks pretty damn good after a nice detail with the nice clean dark glass and bright silver rims on the sport.

I have to say however I like the rubicon rims.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

seriously???
CATAGBQ04
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Have Jeep dealer contact near houston if you want new.

IMO, if you want a jeep, buy the cheapest one you can buy (S or Sport or whatever) and build it the way you want it.

You get a blank canvas. Go as mild or wild as you want.

Change your wheels and tires to what you want

Change the gear ratio to 3.73 or 4.10s to push the tires, lockers, add

Leather or neoprene covers,

All the 'murica stickers/graphics you want. Confederate flag, Wounded warrior, dragon logos etc.

Still come out cheaper and have a more capable machine than what the factory can offer, plus the fun of building it.

That's how I ended up with this magnificent heep that I'm about to throw more parts at

Presley OBannons Sword
BustUpAChiffarobe said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

seriously???
for the same reason it costs eighty grand to get a new F-250
JD05AG
AG
Change the factory headlights no matter what you go with. They are horrible.
El Chupacabra
You most likely don't need a Rubicon. The offroad capability of a Sport is probably more than you'll ever need. And you'll like it more as a daily driver.

I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited. I've taken it to the mountains, in sand, mud, trails, etc, and very rarely needed 4L, much less locking front and rear axles. They're nice to have, as is the electronic sway bar disconnect, but unnecessary reallyespecially for your wife's daily driver.

If you like decent sounding music in your car, plan on getting the Alpine upgrade or spending a few hundred bucks aftermarket, because the stereos absolutely suck. I put the Kicker speakers in front and back and it is sufficient for me.

If you're not opposed to travelling, some of the volume dealerships can get you really good deals. I got mine in Bozeman, MT for 13% off of MSRP, because they price matched a volume dealership.
Fidel Cashflow
Don't want to hijack this thread, but also been mulling over the purchase of a wrangler unlimited. Would like the matching hard top and leather. Plan would be to put a small lift to accommodate 35's. Is there a good time of year to purchase for the best deal? I'm still shocked at the resale value when researching these. Almost makes sense to just go brand new as used models are still in the upper 30K range.

AggieDruggist89
AG
I dd'd a wrangler from 1990 to 1995 while in grad school. My IQ dropped 37 points as it knocked around my noggin against my interior skull...

Gave it to my older bro...Ag c/o 86... he got rid of it quick. His IQ remains...
aggieforester05
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

BustUpAChiffarobe said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

seriously???
for the same reason it costs eighty grand to get a new F-250
Absolute insanity!
javajaws
AG
Fidel Cashflow said:

Don't want to hijack this thread, but also been mulling over the purchase of a wrangler unlimited. Would like the matching hard top and leather. Plan would be to put a small lift to accommodate 35's. Is there a good time of year to purchase for the best deal? I'm still shocked at the resale value when researching these. Almost makes sense to just go brand new as used models are still in the upper 30K range.
The 2017s are coming out right now. I don't believe the price has gone up significantly but they did add new LED headlights. I doubt you'll find a good deal just now on the 2017s but you might be able to get one on an in-stock 2016. Most everything else is the same between 2016/17 - the big change will be for the 2018 model year (JK->JL).
thaed137
AG
So the Jeep finally came in. Wife is super excited about it. We ended up wanting enough bells and whistles that the price difference between the Sahara and the Rubicon was like $3k so went ahead and got the Rubicon. We ended up ordering the Jeep because we couldn't find anything in Texas with what we wanted and had a tough time finding them with side impact airbags. I am happy with the purchase and think we will have this Jeep for a long time. 1ags connection that I used for my first truck was awesome as always and even got a good deal on our trade in. I've never been one for warranties but they offered a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty that I ended up getting as when we want a new car 10+ years down the road we can leave this one at the cabin in Montana.

I am getting locking bolts for the wheels currently and thinking of replacing the antenna for something more low key. Anything else you guys recommend?

Thanks for all the help.

javajaws
AG
thaed137 said:

Anything else you guys recommend?

More pictures of the driver?

Nice looking Jeep. Rubicon wil have even better resale should you ever sell it and you'll be glad you have it if you take it rock krawling.
VonDownByTheRiver
I just bought this antenna, love it. http://amzn.to/2jwtoMi

Zero loss of reception.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I'm thinking about selling mine but not sure just yet. It is either that or swap out the engine in mine. It is a 2007 with the small engine. I need something with more power and better gas mileage.
Furlock Bones
AG
i have the 13 inch antennaX. there is a slight loss of reception. i'd go with the 15 inch above if i was buying again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.