Well...may be that it's time for a new (to me) truck

4,415 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Green2Maroon
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My F250 crapped out another water pump today. Hard to complain I suppose, I am at over 400k on the truck and things are going to just start needing replacement. Just frustrated that I have had poor luck with water pumps on this thing - this is pump No. 5 for me now.

Between this and some other nagging things, I'm finally at the point I think a new to me truck is in the mix. Shouldn't have passed up on a nice Ram 1500 diesel just a few weeks ago, but I digress.

Probably looking at the Ram 1500 diesel, lariat trim, 4wd. I have no real need for a 3/4 ton, but I do love my diesel and the longevity and mileage that comes with it. Any place I should look? I would actually prefer a used one with low (say less than 30k miles) over new. I'm in the Houston area. I've already looked online some at the usual suspects.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Budget?
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Gassers last a long time now, too. If you need a half-ton, get one, and save the money.
I have no desire for a gas engine
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Budget?
like to keep it 45 or under if at all possible
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
quote:
quote:
Budget?
like to keep it 45 or under if at all possible
I know that you said that you prefer used but Vernon Auto Group in Vernon, TX has brand new Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD with the EcoDiesel for $46,971. They will deliver as well for a small fee. The used truck market is insane and made my decision to buy new pretty easy. That was a year ago though.

Also, you might want to go test drive one of these new EcoDiesels. At 240HP, they are a bit sluggish for my liking.

http://www.vernonautogroup.com/new/Ram/2016-Ram-1500-29b2088e0a0e0ae867b7b79b415f831d.htm
Corps_Ag12
AG
Dibs on the 7.3
schmellba99
AG
I test drove one a while back - compared to a high horsepower gas engine, they are sluggish. But I had absolutely zero issues with the ability of the truck to get up and go, even when I was already cruising at 70+ down the highway. I don't drive like a maniac much anymore though either, so it's not as big a deal to me as ride (the new Dodge's are incredibly smooth), interior comfort and mileage.

I'm not digging on the knob shifter on the dash, but that's about the only drawback I have for the 1500's outside of their immediate need for at least a 3" leveling kit to get them to not sit so low. But that is all half tons it seems.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Dibs on the 7.3
It may well be up for sale soon, haven't decided.
TulaneAg
I'm about to put my 14 GMC DenaliHD with 28k miles on the Duramax up for sale if you might be interested. I'm in Houston. Username at yahoo dot com if you are interested in talking.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I'm about to put my 14 GMC DenaliHD with 28k miles on the Duramax up for sale if you might be interested. I'm in Houston. Username at yahoo dot com if you are interested in talking.
I just can't justify a 3/4 ton anymore. That's what I have now, and when I bought it a long time ago I was doing a lot of pulling and what not, but I haven't pulled anything that a half ton wouldn't pull in a long, long time.
PFG
AG
quote:
but I do love my diesel and the longevity and mileage that comes with it

Does not apply anymore to the modern day diesel. Sensors on top of sensors on top of filters on top of sensors on top of DEF.

quote:

You really should drive a new half ton....might change your mind.
lawless89
If you're upset about changing out the water pump, then you REALLY aren't gonna like the new diesels and the stuff that breaks down on those things.

Get a 2011+ F150 with the 5.0. Great engine, lasts a long time and MPG ain't so bad either. You won't regret it.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
but I do love my diesel and the longevity and mileage that comes with it

Does not apply anymore to the modern day diesel. Sensors on top of sensors on top of filters on top of sensors on top of DEF.

quote:

You really should drive a new half ton....might change your mind.
I have, and it didn't. The Fords are vastly overrated with their ecoboosts and with any sort of load on them what little mileage and power you do get disappears quick. Not a fan of the GM products. Looking at the Nissans as well, forgot they have the Cummins in their half tons.

And sensors on top of sensors is in any engine these days, gas, diesel, electric - doesn't matter. They are all more complicated than they need to be.
Silvy
AG
quote:
And sensors on top of sensors is in any engine these days, gas, diesel, electric - doesn't matter. They are all more complicated than they need to be.

Damn near every sensor is there to maximize the efficiency and performance of the engine. The only sensors I can think of that do basically nothing are rear O2 sensors.

If you don't like GM products based off the '07-'13 trucks, then check out the '14+ trucks. Everybody knows that '07-'13 GM trucks suck ****.
Buck Compton
AG
That's why the guy recommended the 5.0... I have the 2016 5.0 and it's an awesome truck.
TSW2012
AG
If you look at the price of used diesels then youll quickly see its not that far off of new prices. With the 2017s on the lot there may be a deal on a new 2016 super duty.
PFG
AG
quote:
The Fords are vastly overrated with their ecoboosts and with any sort of load on them what little mileage and power you do get disappears quick

Same can be said for the Ram Ecodiesel. The truck is built for 1) MPG bragging rights and 2) The "I drive a diesel" hand raisers. The towing and payload numbers are pretty vanilla. But you said you wanted longevity and milage, so the lack of oomph in the Ram shouldn't concern you.

If you want a new 1/2 ton diesel truck, then God Bless America, buy one. But you'll be one of the few to think the Ram Eco is a more powerful truck than the Ford Boost or 5.0.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
That's why the guy recommended the 5.0... I have the 2016 5.0 and it's an awesome truck.
I work with a lot of guys with them as well....not much good to say about them overall. Plus, I really don't like the ford interiors on the half tons.
schmellba99
AG
If i actually towed anything of magnitude on any regular basis, it would come into play no doubt. But I don't, and the only thing I may tow in the near future will be a small bay boat, so basically no appreciable load.

The ecoboost brags about towing, but their mileage with any kind of load falls off to nothing and the performance goes to nothing as well. Without a load they are very speedy and have a lot of power though.
mm98
AG
This thread is going well...
Guitarsoup
AG

quote:
Probably looking at the Ram
Thoughts and prayers.
sts7049
AG
the titan is uglier than an infected nut sack
dubi
AG
quote:

quote:
Probably looking at the Ram
Thoughts and prayers.
My boss just passed 36k miles with his 2 year old Ram 3/4 ton diesel.

It has been in the shop probably 20 times.
Dill-Ag13
AG
quote:
the titan is uglier than an infected nut sack

You misspelled Ridgeline
locogringo
AG
Sounds like the Dodge eco diesel or the Titan are your only options. Diesel Colorado/Canyon could be an option if the other 2 dont do it for you, little smaller of a truck tho (but much bigger than any other Colorado/Canyon of thr past)

Titan isnt a terrible looking truck. Looks are are a personal prefence, other's oppinions dont matter much (but yes the ridgline may be the ugliest thing ever). The Ferd board is just upset that the ecoboost is now irrelevant. You go to GM for tried and true gas engines. GM or dodge for full size diesel. And now a half ton diesel for an alternate engine option in a half ton. BUT if you want some GADGETS, ford all the way, pretty sure they will wipe your butt for you soon.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have dodge contact in Columbus TX....
schmellba99
AG
quote:

Can you email me? Sxhmellba at yahoo.

Many garcias.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:
quote:

Many garcias.
not my business, but did you misspell your email? Is it supposed to be the same as your username here?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Many garcias.
not my business, but did you misspell your email? Is it supposed to be the same as your username here?
Was wondering the same thing.
schmellba99
AG
Dammit. Yes, i did.

schmellba at yahoo
wunderbrad01
AG
I too am interested in the 7.3 should it come up for sale. Wunderbrad at hotmail.
The Kraken
AG
I've had my 1500 Ecodiesel for 15 months and 31000 miles. Not one issue has come up. Lifelong Ford owner before this purchase and so far I'm happy with it. It does have a small bit of turbo lag but after driving it a while you get used to it and adjust driving with it. Otherwise I find the performance just fine.

Lone Star trim with leather seats, 2 wheel drive, picked it up for $34,000. If you want a Laramie 4x4, you could probably get one for $41-$46K depending on how many rebates you qualify for and how good you at tracking down deals.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Many garcias.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
My boss just passed 36k miles with his 2 year old Ram 3/4 ton diesel.

It has been in the shop probably 20 times.
lots of posts like this get thrown around on this board by one truck brand supporter against a brand he doesn't like. I'm always suspect. a brand new truck has been in the shop roughly every single month since he bought the truck?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.