F250 Maintence & Mods

4,665 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CATAGBQ04
htownag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright I'm a little new to this board. I searched around using the function. Maybe I'm just impatient or it's that bad, but I have some questions about my F250

2013 F250 6.7 FX4

I'm coming up on 80k miles. I'm looking to do a DPF/EGR delete, tuner, and cold air intake.

Looking for thoughts, opinions, or experience if anyone has this. Read on other diesel forums and watched countless youtube videos of people loving the more HP and MPG for their trucks. I'm wondering is it really worth it and do inspectors look for that stuff. I mean my guy charges $7 cash for a diesel inspection, so I'm thinking he doesn't care at all. K&N cold air intake is what I was looking at. Like the idea of reusable air filters.

Side note, when does everyone change their oil? I usually go 7-10k and rotate my tires every 10k.
Amazon has a cheap deal if you change your own oil and do full synthetic. I subscribed to the 3 gal of full synthetic that ships every 5 months. Works out to roughly $18 a gallon which is the cheapest I found after shopping walmart, home depot etc.

For the troubles

The Wonderer
AG
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG

Truck nuts...must have truck nuts.

Also...slam, dip, and swap. Definitely swap.
htownag10
AG
haha unfortunately I'm not looking to roll coal. Just looking for better gas mileage really.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
haha unfortunately I'm not looking to roll coal. Just looking for better gas mileage really.
You bought a 5900 pound brick with a diesel engine and you're concerned about fuel economy?

Your current plan is about the best you're gonna get.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
quote:
quote:
You bought a 5900 pound brick with a diesel engine and you're concerned about fuel economy?

Your current plan is about the best you're gonna get.
It's all the new rage...bragging about fuel economy in a pickup. Makes no sense to me.
htownag10
AG
I know what I bought/what I was getting myself into, but thank you though. My warranty is almost up and I'm deciding if it's truly worth it or leaving it as it stands. If it saves me money in the long run then it's a plus.
schmellba99
AG
Can't help with any mods, my truck is mostly stock.

I do have a K&N cold air intake. Can't really tell you that it makes much of a difference one way or another to be honest with you. I've just had K&N filters on vehicles for so long that it's habit to just drop one in when I get a vehicle.

As far as oil - I use Royal Purple in my F250, change the filter every 5k miles (add about a quart of new oil at filter changes) and do a complete drain & change every 20k miles. My highly scientific test of rubbing used oil between my finger and thumb tells me that the oil still has some life left when I change it. Seems to work though, i'm at a shade over 400k. Just wish I could get a water pump to last longer than about 90k miles dammit.

Only other mod I've done is a Superchips. Nothing fancy, just a plug and play programmer. Ford had their diesels so de-tuned that you almost have to have it to get some sentiment of performance out of it (2001 year model for me).
The Wonderer
AG
If it was the 6.4L, I'd advocate harder for it for both the MPG and bullet-proofing. The 6.7L doesn't have many of the same problems, but you should see an uptick in efficiency. Just have to weigh the economics of the mods versus the fuel savings and how long you plan to drive the truck to see if it's worth it long term.
htownag10
AG
I'd like to have this truck as long as it runs. Not huge on constantly having a truck payment. Think I'll at least do the cold air intake everything else will be pro vs cons.
The Wonderer
AG
Research it and see if there are any actual real life gains from owners that have done that. Nowadays, intake systems are about at max efficiency from the manufacturer. CAI can be more harmful on MPGs in some applications.
saltydog13
AG
Tune/Delete and put in a 2015+ turbo since you have a 2013.
htownag10
AG
Apparently the thing to do is to use small hole in the wall inspection places to pass or go to one in a small town just in case my guy doesn't pass it. It only takes him 5-10 min to inspect my truck. Just didn't watch him do it last time to see what he looks for
EskimoJoe
quote:
Tune/Delete and put in a 2015+ turbo since you have a 2013.

Definitely either do the turbo or set aside $3k for when it goes out. It will go out.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Mine is stock for now but I'm well under warranty.

We'll see what happens when it runs out.
sts7049
AG
we all know you won't own it that long
BigPuma
The Wonderer
AG
quote:

Are you going to own it when the warranty runs our?
htownag10
AG
Well I've got some more research to do on CAI and now turbos. I've heard the horror stories about the turbos going out in them

Appreciate the help though
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Well I've got some more research to do on CAI and now turbos. I've heard the horror stories about the turbos going out in them

Appreciate the help though
Might want to look at a turbo timer. If I recall correctly, they'd burn out from not being able to cool down/oil circulating after high usage.
htownag10
AG
Thanks, I'll look at those as well.

So far what I've read about CAI is that people suggest the S&B w/ the cover off. Oiled or dry depends on preference, but most suggested dry. Too much oil and you gum your turbo. Too less oil and you dust it. Runs about $289

H&S mini maxx and SCT will both do the same tunes, but H&S is more expensive. $700-1000

ATS Aurora 400 is apparently the first and only true drop in turbo replacement
The Wonderer
AG
Personally, I'd go with performance dry reusable filter.

htownag10
AG
so would a turbo timer work better than just replacing the whole turbo?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Why would you replace the turbo? Just to go bigger?

A turbo timer allows the truck to run with the key removed until the EGT temps drop to a safe level (usually around 300-400* depending on where you place the EGT sensor). Allowing the engine to idle continues to pump oil and lube the bearings in the turbo, thus helping prevent premature failure.
saltydog13
AG
Just don't turn the truck off immediately after driving it hard and the turbo will be fine. Don't waste money on cai and stay with the stock air filter. That's ~$300 or whatever it costs that can go towards the delete
htownag10
AG
I was just going off the previous suggestion a poster made about upgrading to a 2015 turbo, but if that turbo timer solves the problem I'd rather do that since its only $200 for timer instead of 3k for a new aftermarket turbo factory drop in.
Rexter
It takes about 30 seconds for EGTs to drop to 350 or less for my truck. 60 seconds gets it to 280 or so.
htownag10
AG
Do you run a timer?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
I was just going off the previous suggestion a poster made about upgrading to a 2015 turbo, but if that turbo timer solves the problem I'd rather do that since its only $200 for timer instead of 3k for a new aftermarket turbo factory drop in.
I'm not saying it will prevent turbo failure, but allowing oil to circulate while the turbo spins down and EGTs come down will help keep the bearings from seizing up if they're still spinning pretty high upon shut down. You don't necessarily need a timer, but you have to be cautious about just parking and shutting down without giving the truck time to come down before you cut off its oil flow.
htownag10
AG
This is my first diesel. I've had it for 3 years and I'm still finding out how they work and what to take care of etc. Would of never thought about that with the turbo. Still feel lost when I want to do stuff to it to make it last.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
quote:
Why would you replace the turbo? Just to go bigger?

A turbo timer allows the truck to run with the key removed until the EGT temps drop to a safe level (usually around 300-400* depending on where you place the EGT sensor). Allowing the engine to idle continues to pump oil and lube the bearings in the turbo, thus helping prevent premature failure.
Typcially the EGTs drop like a rock when you let off the go pedal. UNless you're hauling some huge load and immediately pull over and shut it off right away, you'll find it hard to ever have overheat scenarios, but it usually takes less than two minutes for the EGTs to drop to a safe level to cool down anyway.

On my 01 7.3L even with it juiced to the max with 42 lbs of boost, I never saw EGTs over 1300 and even pulling a 28' travel trailer, by the time I pulled into a fueling station, the EGTs had dropped to a safe level.
Rexter
quote:
Do you run a timer?

Nope. I have an Edge monitor and just watch it. Temps will drop to 325ish stopped in gear. Slip into park and they go lower. I'm old enough that I'm not in a hurry to jump out of the truck.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
quote:

Are you saying you're interested?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you saying you're going to service it post sale?
BigPuma
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you saying you're going to service it post sale?
**** you both for making me even consider this **** this morning. Damnit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.