How often do I need tire rotation?

4,363 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought my car late 2014, a demo car that had about 10k on it and until now it's about 20k miles. The last time I have it for servicing this month, he said he saw some wear on the rear tires and I needed to get tires alignment done and rotation also.
It's a BMW so getting it done at a dealership is expensive.

How often do I need to worry about alignment/rotation?
Silvy
AG
6k miles for rotation

Get alignment if you notice abnormal wear.
aggie_wes
AG
What silvy said. Ideally you rotate tires every oil change.
SG09
AG
Duncan Idaho
Will discount rotate and balance my tires if they are over 10 years old?
Silvy
AG
Nope
Duncan Idaho
Is that a law thing or a company thing?
Silvy
AG
Company, it's an issue of liability.
mm98
AG
I'm surprised it holds air after 10 years.
JSKolache
AG
Do it when you change the oil - i.e. 5k or so
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The range varies but 5-12K is a good idea, which is more than what most people do.

permabull
AG
Silvy
AG
quote:
All discount tire locations will rotate for free even if you didn't buy from them. They know by providing that service they will likely get you to come back when you are looking to buy tires.

FIFY

Same goes for their free flat repair.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Some discount tire locations will rotate for free even if you didn't buy from them. They know by providing that service they will likely get you to come back when you are looking to buy tires.

Edit... Don't BMWs come with 3 years of basic service included? Shouldn't your rotation be paid for already?
Yes, full basic maintenance is included with the purchase for 4/50k for cars bought after 7/1/14. MY 2017 and newer cars are 3/36k. Tire rotations are not included though.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx?mobileoverride=true
permabull
AG
Silvy
AG
When I started, we wouldn't balance for free if tires weren't purchased from DTC. About mid-way through my employment there, we were balancing for free, regardless of where the tires came from. I'm not sure of their current standing.

I paid $28 for my certs, each tire costs $165, and install is $16 /wheel. If your tire needs to be replaced and isn't covered by a cert, you'll also be paying an install fee. If the tire is covered by cert, the only fee you'll pay is for the cert on the new tire. In my case, it was definitely worthwhile to buy the certs.

You do not get bumped up in line due to certs, but if they come across an issue that requires a tire to be replaced, the tech would tell an inside guy about the issue, grab the new tire, and start mounting it on the wheel.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
Silvy
AG
You can haggle prices at DTC
BombayAg
hypeiv said:

Some discount tire locations will rotate for free even if you didn't buy from them. They know by providing that service they will likely get you to come back when you are looking to buy tires.

Edit... Don't BMWs come with 3 years of basic service included? Shouldn't your rotation be paid for already?

Yes, I would think so. But he called me during regular (free) service and said that he thinks it needs alignment and that it would cost $195 (I think). I decided to hold off for now.

But maybe the rotation is free. I'll email him.
BombayAg
silverado_lover said:

6k miles for rotation

Get alignment if you notice abnormal wear.

Thanks for the info. I am about 10k so I will have to get it done.
I'll check, but off the top of my mind I don't remember seeing any abnormal wear.
BombayAg
The Wonderer said:

Quote:

Yes, full basic maintenance is included with the purchase for 4/50k for cars bought after 7/1/14. MY 2017 and newer cars are 3/36k. Tire rotations are not included though.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx?mobileoverride=true

Oh, no tire rotations? I bought mine in Dec 2014 but it was a 2014 demo model so the actual "purchase date" is a few months earlier. I have emailed the Customer Care rep, so let's see what he says.
BombayAg
silverado_lover said:

You can haggle prices at DTC

I have typically bought my tires from tirerack.com and the last one from Costco. I got them from DTC about 8 years ago. tirerack prices are very good.
Buck O Five
AG
If you have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, drive for about 8k miles with a grin plastered to your face, then replace.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Buck O Five said:

If you have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, drive for about 8k miles with a grin plastered to your face, then replace.
The 19s on my 7 series lasted around 12K...lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.