Buying a Rental Car?

2,856 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by kag00
kag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found a 2015 F150 with a little over 32k miles that is exactly what I want for a good price but it was a rental and I am a little concerned about how the truck may have been used and maintained. I am buying from a dealer who says that it was rented through Avis. The Car Fax is clean with no wrecks or significant maintenance items performed. They have had it for almost 2 months and on the lot for just over a month and I hope they will be ready to deal.

Any tips on what I should be looking for when buying a rental? Anyone know a good mechanic in Austin that could give it a good check before I buy?

Here is the truck.
www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/677516961/overview/

crowman2010
AG
I sold a lot of rental vehicles when I worked at CarMax back in the day. The maintenance on those vehicles is usually on par with the manual, however, you can likely be assured that it was used pretty rough. Take it to your local shop and have them give it a good inspection (especially the suspension).
BigRobSA
You'll get both sides of the argument here. Some will say "I bought a rental, and it's been fine." and others, like myself, who have seen rentals get abused like no other who will say "Nope!! Notgunnadewit!!!".

Best thing is to have a respectable mechanic give it a PrePurchase Inspection.
kag00
AG
I know way too many people who ascribe to the "no road too rough or curb too high for a rental car" theory and that is my main concern. As long as a mechanic will be able to spot problems easily that is an informed risk I am willing to take.
The Wonderer
AG
Would you marry a former hooker?
crowman2010
AG
quote:
Did she follow the maintenance schedule?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
Well, there were lots of fluid changes..
crowman2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Well, there were lots of fluid exchanges..
FIFY
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Well, there were lots of fluid exchanges..
FIFY
Nope, just drain and refill. You know how flushes can mess up the running gear.
permabull
AG
Burdizzo
AG
https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2778159/last#last

Read the post from Dr. Nefarious, it has a bunch of stars
kag00
AG
Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
OP, I have connections at that dealer. Email me at username at gmail dot com and I can put you in touch.
kag00
AG
Email sent. Thanks 1Ag!
kag00
AG
Moving forward on this one. The one issue I have is that I am not sure I will be able to have my mechanic check out the truck since it is an hour+ away. The car is not certified and only has a small amount of the initial warranty remaining.

I am trying to decide if I should take it as is and get an extended warranty once the initial runs out. I normally don't buy them but this was a rental so there is more risk on this car.
Dr. Nefario
In the past 10 years, many, if not most, of the rental agencies have implemented flags in their systems that prevent a vehicle from being rented if maintenance is due. My company allows a manager to override the flag once. A dishonest employee can certainly circumvent the system, but standard maintenance is taken seriously and the days of 15k miles between oil changes are long gone.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
Moving forward on this one. The one issue I have is that I am not sure I will be able to have my mechanic check out the truck since it is an hour+ away. The car is not certified and only has a small amount of the initial warranty remaining.

I am trying to decide if I should take it as is and get an extended warranty once the initial runs out. I normally don't buy them but this was a rental so there is more risk on this car.
5/60 Powertrain.

I dont see you having any risks.
kag00
AG
That my conclusion as well. Addationally, if I can make a deal work I am going to drive the thing straight to my mechanic to find any potential problems and send it in for any needed warranty repair as soon as possible.
kag00
AG
Picked up the truck Thursday. The people at Tommy Vaughn in Columbus were great to work with. Easy and straight foward negotiations and painless process.

I can't here speak highly enough of the customer service as well. There was an issue with the new wind shield leaking that I discovered when it started raining like crazy just as I was about to pull out of the dealership. Even though I had already signed the paperwork to take it as is they got their service manager to look at it and ended up paying to have it completely re-set (would have replaced it totally if needed). There was never a question about it and they stepped up and fixed it as quickly as possible.

Thanks to 1Ags for providing a great reference over there as well.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.