Used 3/4 Ton Decision (Gas vs Diesel)

3,852 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by EskimoJoe
TX_AG_10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have 20k to spend on a used truck. Just recently got out of a 2015 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Been using it as a daily driver and to haul our 6,000lb TT around every month. Before the Ram, I used to pull the TT with my 07 Sierra 1500, but it was getting up there in miles and the 4 speed wasn't ideal.

My wife is no longer working so I'm trying to do the Dave Ramsey thing and move to something with no payment. I've got 2 trucks that I'm seriously considering. Really wanting to stick with 3/4 ton route for the suspension and braking reasons when towing.

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Z71 Duramax (bone stock) with 170k miles ($20,000). It's apparently all highway miles from Houston to New Braunfels driven by a grandpa that owned a pipeline controls company. Interior is immaculate, but the body is in fair condition.. Not great, but not terrible. Has a few scratches and one big dent behind the rear driver side tire from a blow out. Looks like it could be repaired with paint less dent repair.

vs

2011 Chevy Silvy 2500HD LT Z71 6.0 with 130k miles ($19,000). This is a buddy of mine's truck he's getting rid to also try and drop payments. It's a real clean truck, just doesn't have some of the creature comforts that the GMC has.

I know the diesel will always have better resale value, but I also know that repairs and maintenance is more expensive. Also the diesel should get slightly better fuel mileage, plus they pull like a dream. For these reasons, I'm leaning toward the duramax.

The appealing thing about the gasser is that it's a few years newer and doesn't have as many miles. My buddy is going to let me hook it up to my TT on Thursday and see how well it pulls. I've never towed with a 3/4 ton gasser. Only with my gas half ton and the Ram diesel.

Any suggestions/advice from anyone else who's gone through this decision? Anything else I'm leaving out when weighing the pros/cons?
CrossBowAg99
AG
I drove ford diesels for 10+ years. My last one was an '08. In 2014 I bought a f250 gas and could not be happier. The only thing that I miss is being able to have an aux tank with extra fuel.
Corps_Ag12
AG
That Duramax is pre-DEF (so it's DPF), so all you'd have to do is a DPF delete/EGR blocker & it'll run like a scalded ape. It's basically an LBZ with emissions control crap on it.

My buddy has a 2011 LTZ 2500 6.0 4x4 and I've pulled with it loaded down before. Although it doesn't have the immediate put on the power that a diesel does, it's got enough balls to pull a load just fine. I think his has 115k on it with zero issues. Averages 14-15 mpg with the lie-o-meter. I think it has 4.10's too.
TX_AG_10
AG
That's the plan if I do get the Duramax. I know both trucks are solid and they are so close in price/condition it's a toss up. I'm just torn as to which one will give me less problems over the next 3-5 years.
Corps_Ag12
AG
How many miles per year?
TX_AG_10
AG
15k-20k. 80% highway.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I took insurance out of the equation, and the cost to own for the next 5 years is .26/mile for diesel & .25/mile for gas, based on these factors:

- Diesel is 20k + 2k for DPF delete
- Gas is 19k
- Drive 18k a year, 80% hwy
- Diesel gets 13/20, avg 19
- Gas gets 10/16, avg 15
- Estimated cost to own for 5 years on both trucks is $4,500 (maintenance, tires, etc.)

Gasoline is 1.79 at the pump, diesel is 2.09 at the pump

Free spreadsheet for y'all, enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbrkc9cfofeu3yi/Car_Cost_Comparison.xlsx?dl=0
Silvy
AG
Don't get a GMT-900
Sodbuster05
AG
Keep in mind that there was big update for the 2011 model year, not just powertrain but frame, brakes, etc. 2011+ have much better brakes and seem to handle payload much better IMHO
locogringo
AG
With only 1K separating the price, the diesel is probably the better "investment". As far as "how used" they are: Lower miles on the gasser doesn't necessarily mean less motor wear, diesel last longer.

Both are solid, proven motors. I would suggest deleting the DPF if you go D-Max route (as stated above), EGR block-off is not as crucial but is pretty cheap and relatively easy, so could go either way on that. I just turned 65K on my deleted '12 without an EGR block-off and no issues. They say the block off is only needed in very high boost situations (Bro-dozing)
SG09
AG
Maybe I missed it in your post, but I didn't see the reason for wanting a 3/4 over a well equipped 1/2 ton. At 6k lbs it doesn't sound you don't really need a 3/4, unless I'm missing something.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Dave Ramsey thing would to be for you to sell the TT and the Truck and buy a 1500 dollar Civic and buy a nicer beater every 6 mos until you get a nice enough car that you'd be happy with, but not all of us want to look like meth heads rolling around in a 91 Accord with no AC.....
Agmechanic
AG
Screw dave. Debt is cheap
Rexter
If you consider Ford, I will be putting my truck in the market as of October 25. Ill have a better deal than both of those.
TX_AG_10
AG
Went and looked the Duramax. There is oil gathered between the block and transmission. First thought was rear main, but after looking online, it seems the number one culprit is the PCV. Apparently there are a few areas that are vulnerable for oil to leak out. Looks like most guys do a PCV reroute. If that's not the problem, I'm not sure where to look.. Here's a pic I snapped if anyone is interested. Didn't see any oil drippings on the ground.

Corps_Ag12
AG
Honestly if you're trying to save money I wouldn't get something you're going to make a bunch modifications & put money into it after purchasing.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
That drain plug is pretty hysterical.
clarythedrill
quote:
I have often wondered by Chevy puts their drain plugs on the side of the pan instead of the bottom. I cant begin to count the number of times I have not placed the drain pan in the correct offset position before the final removal of the plug, only to see the scalding hot oil arc over the drain pan and leave a Exxon Valdez size oil spill on my garage floor.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
Nobody ever told the owner that an adjustable wrench isn't the right tool for that job.
Rexter
quote:

It's obvious that Jose has been doing the oil changes. Typical wear from a Mexican socket set.
TX_AG_10
AG
Info on truck?
Rexter
'08 F250 Lariat 6.4, 4x4, 135K, deleted/tuner/exhaust/monitor. Not a bro dozer.
Within the last year I've done all 4 shocks, brakes/rotors, BFG AT KO2s on King Ranch 20" wheels. I've added a center console, Ranch Hand, headache rack, tool box.
It has a bed liner, man step, rear camera, leather, heated front seats, Husky liners, limo tint, premium sound, intake, Peak ELC.
I have, but not installed, EGR block-offs and coolant filter.
Oil changes every 5K, fuel filters every 10k. Motorcraft oil and filters only.
I have all stock parts to go with the truck. Exhaust, intake, jump seat.

If you want more info, send me an email.
Rexter1200 at yahoo
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I'd go with either of the two diesels. Rexters pickup sounds slick.
aggieforester05
AG
My Tundra is the same way, but it arcs right into my wheel and gets all over the rim. Fun times, that's one vehicle it's worth it to take to Jiffy Lube.
TX_AG_10
AG
Update!

Ended up finding an 06 LBZ in excellent condition! 2006 Silverado LT3 CrewCab 4x4 with 139k miles on that was right in between the price of the two other trucks I was considering. Have a few things planned out. Add Tow mirrors, removed the running boards and probably crank the torsion bars. It has a 5" cat back magnaflow with muffler, but I'll probably end up straight piping it in the future. Still undecided if I'll add a tune or not. Here's a pic from the sellers post.

Silvy
AG
Not a GMT900
GTBullitt68
AG
Congrats on the LBZ!
EskimoJoe
Couldn't have picked a better towing rig. Love the LBZ!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.