New Shoes! Track Day!

3,479 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gator2_01
Gator2_01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Black Betty got some pretty new shoes.

I know, I know, it's an automatic. So I'll have plenty of folks who are "real drivers" judge me.

Don't care: Track Day!

I took the Advanced Road Racing course at Driveway Austin today so now I'm able to drive all three track setups. Obviously the big track is the ticket. I replaced the stock pads with EBC Yellowstuff - I'll be swapping to Carbotech XP10 before I drive the long track again. Yellowstuff pads were a bit better than OEM, but not good enough for multiple 100-40 brake zones stacking up. I also am not a huge fan of the Nitto 555G2 tires. Even though I went from a 245/275 setup to a 285/305 setup I don't see noticeable increase in grip. In fact, I was putting down the same lateral G's on the stock Eagle F1 Runflats before the new wheels.

Still. Track Day!

I've got plenty of room to improve and now I have the ability to go drive any of their tracks for practice!

JBLHAG03
AG
New tires look awesome. Nice ride.
BigRobSA
Nice!

While it's not equipped with the fun-stick, it's your car and you're actually having it "put in work" as it were, using it for its purpose. Fun.

More power to you!

As for grip, I switched to Pilot SuperSports on the GTI and they're grippy as heck. Maybe give them a shot when you next get new rubber.
aggiebq03+
What are you cleaning your car with? Looks amazing it's so clean on the side.

I've got no problem saying is never keep up with you on the track. Nice video.
Gator2_01
AG
BigRobSA - I've used PSS and love them, but got a great deal on the new 555G2s to try them out. I won't be using them again!

aggiebq03+ - You can attribute that shine to new paint, photo filters, and maybe a bit to Meguiar's Gold Class wash.
BigRobSA
quote:
BigRobSA - I've used PSS and love them, but got a great deal on the new 555G2s to try them out. I won't be using them again!

aggiebq03+ - You can attribute that shine to new paint, photo filters, and maybe a bit to Meguiar's Gold Class wash.

Good to know. The 555s were a possible choice, but went with the PSS.
Gator2_01
AG
I almost forgot, there was a pretty quick car out there...

That guy had ~1500 miles on the ACR and it still had dealer tags on it! THAT. CAR. IS. FAST.
Gator2_01
AG
Played down at Harris Hill Raceway today for SCCA's Track Night. Had three good sessions and ended up running a 1:37:45 in the third session - dropping my fastest time by 4 seconds from the first session through the day!

Gator2_01
AG
Today was a GO FAST day brought to me by SCCA Track Night in America! Spent the afternoon/evening up at Motorsport Ranch Cresson driving the 1.7 mile track CCW. Here's my best lap - 1:28:95. I was happy with the performance for my first time at the track!

robertcope
Cresson is my favorite track in Texas, especially the 3.1m track!

Buck O Five
AG
Litterbug!
ILikeTacos
AG
Gator2_01 said:

Today was a GO FAST day brought to me by SCCA Track Night in America! Spent the afternoon/evening up at Motorsport Ranch Cresson driving the 1.7 mile track CCW. Here's my best lap - 1:28:95. I was happy with the performance for my first time at the track!

Dang that guy in the blue Porsche 911 turbo in front of you is fast!

(That's me)
Corps_Ag12
AG
Do you anything with the Porsche racing team out there at Cresson?
ILikeTacos
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Do you anything with the Porsche racing team out there at Cresson?
No sir, I am just a dude that likes to go out to the track every once in a while and do hood rat stuff with my hood rat friends. Some buddies from the Cadillac V Club encouraged me to go out to this SCCA Track Night in America and it was an awesome time! I highly encourage anyone else to go out there too!

Last night was my first time to drive my porsche on the track, and while it is bone stock it can't stay that way for long. It was between 90 and 95 degrees yesterday and I was getting some brake fade towards the end of sessions. Definitely need a fluid change, and might as well do pads at the same time. Also the P-Zero stock tires are pretty awful and can't wait for them to wear out to maybe throw some Michelin Super Sport or whatever the replacement is now (4S?) on the car.

So I use Harry's LapTimer as well on my phone and two days ago I had a person tell me that it wasn't accurate so I used my VBox Performance Box to back up the lap times and as far as I can tell Harry's was very accurate yesterday. The fastest I ran yesterday was a 1:27.70 but luckily backed it up with a slew of 1:28's and 1:29's in minimal traffic. I will get vid in a sec.
Silvy
AG
Need more Torque Thrust II, pushrod v8, and t-tops.
ILikeTacos
AG
silverado_lover said:

Need more Torque Thrust II, pushrod v8, and t-tops.
LS SWAP ALL THE THINGS!

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6094045667.html
ILikeTacos
AG
AG 07 said:

So I use Harry's LapTimer as well on my phone and two days ago I had a person tell me that it wasn't accurate so I used my VBox Performance Box to back up the lap times and as far as I can tell Harry's was very accurate yesterday. The fastest I ran yesterday was a 1:27.70 but luckily backed it up with a slew of 1:28's and 1:29's in minimal traffic. I will get vid in a sec.
Video, sorry for the bumpiness and the hooting and hollering. I get stoked when i drive.

robertcope
Harry's, Trackmaster, and other simple lap timers actually do a pretty decent job at lap times. There was discussion about this many (wow, 7) years ago about how here: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/373-track-data-using-your-phone-androidbbiphone/

They're not that great at giving you the ability to analyze data, though. For that you need higher resolution data, more accurate G sensors, etc, like you VBox probably has. But for simple lap times, they're fairly accurate.
Gator2_01
AG
AG 07 said:

Gator2_01 said:

(That's me)
You'll notice at the 0:30 point that the guy in the blue 911 got a flag that matches his car. For those not in the know, the blue flag means you're holding up traffic, lol.

At that point AG07 decided to stop holding me up on the track!
ILikeTacos
AG
Gator2_01 said:

AG 07 said:

Gator2_01 said:

(That's me)
You'll notice at the 0:30 point that the guy in the blue 911 got a flag that matches his car. For those not in the know, the blue flag means you're holding up traffic, lol.

At that point AG07 decided to stop holding me up on the track!

Yeah I saw that flag and said **** that guy. Hopefully you know the flag workers last night were ****ing awful.

Don't make me pull out the video where you gave me the point by...
Gator2_01
AG
Get yourself a Ram Mount to end that jumpy video
ILikeTacos
AG
Gator2_01 said:

That's a Ram X mount....
Gator2_01
AG
AG 07 said:

Yeah I saw that flag and said **** that guy. Hopefully you know the flag workers last night were ****ing awful.

POST IT! We were both being held up by a Viper and a supercharged Vette. I was trying to encourage others to allow passing - and it appears that your $100k car is a second faster than my $30k car.
Gator2_01
AG
AG 07 said:

Gator2_01 said:

That's a Ram X mount....
Really, so is mine. Crazy difference.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Ah, just curious. You have a few go fast cars so I didn't know if the Porsche was a new venture with them.

My friend signed up with them as a mechanic/pit crew guy a while back, so I was going to ask him if he'd worked on a new blue 911 turbo yet.
ILikeTacos
AG
Gator2_01 said:

AG 07 said:

POST IT! We were both being held up by a Viper and a supercharged Vette. I was trying to encourage others to allow passing - and it appears that your $100k car is a second faster than my $30k car.
Ahh yes, the de-evolution of cost in all car discussions.

#1 - I have an ATS-V as well. I love the Alpha chassis and have turned the same exact lap times in that car which is pretty identical to your SS in every way. I know how great the new camaro/ATS-V/CTS-V chassis is and I put absolutely 0 stock in that.

#2 - You know it comes down to driver out there. Does it make you feel any better that the miata record is like 1:19 on that same track that you drove a 1:28 on? That a car worth $7K out drove your $30K car? That is silly. Just be happy that we had good times.
Gator2_01
AG
I'm sure that spec Miata cost at least $10k!
robertcope
My Miata is faster than my NSX and S2000. Well, not really, but it's easier to drive it faster for a bunch of reasons, mostly because if it gets balled up it's not a huge loss!
Gator2_01
AG
Okay, Okay, I'll post it.
Points of interest in this video:
~1:30 Gator points AG07 by
~3:08 Viper spins out ahead of us, clearing the path.

I forgot there was that Mustang holding everything up. Also AG07, why are you driving in the Intermediate group? Based on this video, I'd assume your 1:27.7 was limited due to traffic.

Tonight I drove in the Advanced group down at Harris Hill, mostly due to 18 cars in Intermediate and 9 in Advanced. I'll post a few videos after this.

Gator2_01
AG
RobertCope, who were you driving with there? That 3.1 course looks awesome!
3:09 that Miata was dangerous. Shortly after you cleared your windshield for quite a while!
robertcope
Gator2_01 said:

RobertCope, who were you driving with there? That 3.1 course looks awesome!
3:09 that Miata was dangerous. Shortly after you cleared your windshield for quite a while!
That was with The Drivers Edge. Great organization. http://thedriversedge.net/

The video doesn't do the elevation changes justice, either!
ILikeTacos
AG
Gator2_01 said:

Okay, Okay, I'll post it.
Points of interest in this video:
~1:30 Gator points AG07 by
~3:08 Viper spins out ahead of us, clearing the path.

I forgot there was that Mustang holding everything up. Also AG07, why are you driving in the Intermediate group? Based on this video, I'd assume your 1:27.7 was limited due to traffic.

Tonight I drove in the Advanced group down at Harris Hill, mostly due to 18 cars in Intermediate and 9 in Advanced. I'll post a few videos after this.

3 reasons I was with intermediate:
1) I haven't driven on MSR in about a year, and really haven't been on any track in about 9 months, real rusty.
2) That was my very first SCCA event, didn't want to assume I was advanced in a group that would be mainly racecars.
3) That was my first time to drive that car on track, have only had it about two months.

As you can tell from my line in your video, I am ALL over the place still trying to figure out the right line for the 911. The front feels so light on the car, and the ass loves to rotate, but then the AWD kicks in and keeps you going the right way, so then it gets me all confused. I am looking forward to getting back out with it when I can.
Gator2_01
AG
Harris Hill was my next destination - dropped over 4 seconds off my previous best lap!

Gator2_01
AG
On my quickest lap of the night I ended a bit too quick to enter turn 1 and explored the offroad capabilities!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.