Transmission shop in houston

2,797 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BigRobSA
OilAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2001 Silverado z71 started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. First time ever. 191,000 miles. What should I do. I would like to fix it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Circle D is very pricey but they're honest.
OilAggie
AG
So it seems to have fixed its self......
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Hows the fluid
OilAggie
AG
I drained it and refilled about 30,000 miles ago so I would think its alright. Seems like a computer issue since its shifting like it always has now.
BrazosDog02
AG
Can't you just buy a new rebuilt one and swap it out? I think that's the route I'm going with my f150. A local shop and put a new trans in in half a day and I drive it home...and have a warranty to boot. Didn't know anyone rebuilt originals anymore.
BigRobSA
GMs always have a craptastic 1-2 shift. You can tune it down in HPTuners, if you have access to it. BUt if you're not familiar with tuning, you might let someone else do it who is. You can F your stuff up, fast, by doing it wrong.

But, then, "YAY! NEW TRANS!".

OilAggie
AG
What's the going rate on a rebuilt 4L60E. I'm thinking $2,000 but that's just a guess
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
in 2008, I paid $700 for a 4L60E rebuild with converter installed.

I'm sure prices have gone up since.

OilAggie
AG
quote:

Was that at circle D?
mm98
AG
I paid about $1400 - $1800 at Gary's Transmission in Katy (he used to work for Circle D). That was for a complete 4l60e rebuild with 2/24K warranty. If I recall that also came with a free fluid drain/fill check at the 12K mark of the warranty period.

OilAggie
AG
quote:
I paid about $1400 - $1800 at Gary's Transmission in Katy (he used to work for Circle D). That was for a complete 4l60e rebuild with 2/24K warranty. If I recall that also came with a free fluid drain/fill check at the 12K mark of the warranty period.

Thanks!
sawemoffshort07
AG
I did Circle D a year ago for their rebuild (with upgraded parts that tend to fail) and a new starter for $2300. 2000 Silverado
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
quote:

Was that at circle D?
Nope.

This was a guy named hector that worked at competition transmissions on the north side of Houston.

I heard the went back to Mexico. Super good trans guy.

Silvy
AG
Don't have input on a shop, but I wouldn't recommend an OE rebuild unless you plan on getting rid of the truck soon.

At minimum, I'd get a Beast sunshell, vette servo, & Tru Cool 40k trans cooler. Ideally, you could turn the 4L60e into a 4L65e with 5 pinion planetary gears.

To give the truck more balls, you can get a 278mm torque converter from Circle D Specialties with a stall of 2600-2800 or 3000-3200. You'd still be able to tow with either TC and they cost ~ $500.
BigRobSA
For less than $3k, I had a near bullet-proof 4L70e put into my TBSS with a (separately supplied, by me) TC as well.

RPM transmission outside of Indy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.