My new-to-me B5 S4 Racecar

4,869 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigRobSA
BigRobSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To keep it off the oil change thread currently going on, I've decided to bring the subject of my car to its own thread.

Some of you may remember I originally talked about building my 1996 12v 2.8L Audi A4 into a "racecar". After considering the hurdles, like sourcing a dependable drivetrain from an S4 to be able to handle the power and others, I decided to build a 1.8t into a 2.1L stroker with a big turbo in an S4 I bought. After building a customer's built 1.8t (not stroked) it became apparent that I'd have similar issues with sourcing accessories and such. At the same time, 2 wks ago, an opportunity to buy the above pictured car fell in my lap. My buddy billed the customer a hefty amount for the build, not including what was spent on the car. It's worth every penny. So, now I'll be selling my bonestock S4, once I go through it during a swap, and my A4. I currently, technically, own 5 cars...and I'm single. I've got 1Ags's disease, it seems.

Now, to the car:

It's ruhtard fast, 12VR6 swap, stock bottom end but custom heads, big 66mm T3 flanged turbo (Bullseye S366 - going to sell that and go bigger T4 twin scroll turbo), fully built fuel system with 2 hi flow pumps and 2000cc injectors, custom built intake manifold, intercooler, intercooler piping, AWE tuning exhaust, an ultra-stout clutch that will make your left calf HUGE, and a whole bunch of other stuff. It has a much better exterior and interior than the black S4 from above. No AC though. It was never tuned for E85, but I'll get it tuned for it. On pump 91oct gas it made around 500 AWHP. On E85, on the current turbo alone, the tuner says it'll make 750 AWHP (about 1000 hp at the crank). With more flow in the bigger T4 turbo, I could see a bunch more horsepowers and torques! GIGGETY!

Dude sold it because he shredded 2nd gear by doing exactly what he was told not to do....dump the clutch on launch...and didn't want to spend ANOTHER $3k replacing it. We had taken the 01E trans apart already, so I ordered the gear from Germany and we'll put it together when it arrives. I'm sure the trans will give up the ghost eventually, they're only rated for about 600 crank HP. !st and 2nd stock gears can't handle it. If it goes out again, I'll get square cut 1st and 2nd. That won't break.

He ran it, for one run, down the 1320. Breaking it, he STILL ran low 11s. I forget the trap speed, but I can't wait to run it myself whenever I can...or, in Mexico, of course. From 500AWHP to 750AWHP+ should net me a small gain on the 'slip.

I still have my "slow" daily, too. An approximately 400hp, high 400's ft-lb GTI. I just put in new race motor mounts....HOLY CRAP, I feel/hear every drivetrain noise, now. But, it grips even better on a launch. The stockers had right at 100k, all but about 1K of that being tuned or A LOT more.They showed it.
sts7049
AG
the only words that come to mind are, holy s***!

hatchback
AG
Giggity!
Flaith
AG
400 hp through the front wheels? Do you wear a shoulder brace when you drive it to keep it from ripping your arms off from torque steer?

badace! Why a 12VR6 and not the 2.7L?
BigRobSA
quote:
400 hp through the front wheels? Do you wear a shoulder brace when you drive it to keep it from ripping your arms off from torque steer?

LSD, big sticky meats and new mounts = less tq steer in the GTI.

While 2.7 is stout, stock internals on 12v VR6 have seen 1200 hp or so, routinely. Also, to f/ck with the 4-ring purists.

And the VR is eleventy times easier to work on than the 2.7.
Dill-Ag13
AG
DANG
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Vary nice!
Terk
AG
Is there a bratwurst erection emoji?
BigRobSA
Here's the trans, yanked apart. New 2nd gear came in this morning.

Here's the new gear, to the left of the old, messed up gear:

[Img] [/img]

Waiting on rebuild kit to rebuild the trans.
Aero95
AG
10/10 would hoon!
mustang6tee8
Tim Weaver
quote:

My Mk4 Golf TDi has about 250 ftlbs of torque and I can take off from a dead stop with no hands on the wheel. VW really nailed it with this drive train.
chimpanzee
Prayers for your manifold welds. That's absurd.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Needs more cooling.

~egon
BigRobSA
quote:
Prayers for your manifold welds. That's absurd.

When we were building it, we blew the welds on a lesser tune. This manifold's welds are thick as a Kardashian's ass.
slappy
AG
BigRobSA
Finally got time to put my rebuilt trans in, and button it back together(ish).

^
Sitting out behind the shop after its maiden voyage.

Ho-Lee Chit!

Not even at half-throttle, and not tuned for E yet so "only" about 700-750 crank hp, and it just moves.

Will try to post a vid of it running.

Still needs a catch can, some tuning (E tuned it should make around 950-1k crank/750ish at the wheels) , and a few other things..

then....

bigger T4, twin-scroll turbo. Because racecar!
Terk
AG
Tasty!!!
robertcope
Daddy like.
'03ag
I really need Rob to move to DFW and stage 3 my allroad.
hatchback
AG
OH MY!

That's just nasty. And in red, too. Very nice!
Terk
AG
nvmd... obvious answer is obvious
CATAGBQ04
AG
BigRobSA
Hopefully, this works.

Youtube was being wonky for me, so...

Anywho.

Terk
AG
Sounds niiiiiiiiice!
BigRobSA
Terk said:

Sounds niiiiiiiiice!
Thanks!

It's got one of the biggest cams a VR6 will allow: 288s. 256 duration @.050", .457" lift. With the springs/lifters I've got, it'll rev past 8k, too.
Terk
AG
BigRobSA said:

Terk said:

Sounds niiiiiiiiice!
Thanks!

It's got one of the biggest cams a VR6 will allow: 288s. 256 duration @.050", .457" lift. With the springs/lifters I've got, it'll rev past 8k, too.

Tim Weaver
Duncan Idaho
BigRobSA said:

Hopefully, this works.

Youtube was being wonky for me, so...

Anywho.

Too rumbly you should get your exhaust check for a leak
aTm papi
Video of you revving it past 8k!
BigRobSA
aTm papi said:

Video of you revving it past 8k!

When I get it tuned for E...which is hopefully soon...you bet.

It doesn't idle well at all right now, but would still be able to pwn newbs when called upon.
Flaith
AG
hell yeah
BigRobSA
Quote:

Too rumbly you should get your exhaust check for a leak

I will use your lib tears to keep the engine cool.

***silly PolBoard humor***
BigRobSA
Got it idling correctly-ish now. Noticed the throttle cable clip was not there, so I found one yesterday prior to going to the local C&C and got it all set up. Drove it around a little, trying to get a feel for the twin-disc cerametallic clutch. It's a leg workout for sure. Can't slip it at all. It just grips and goes, definitely not an inch-your-way-through-traffic kind of car.

Also talking with the tuner to get it dialed in for E. It's already totally ridiculous...let's see what MOAR POWAH does.

slappy
AG
Quote:

definitely not an inch-your-way-through-traffic kind of car.

Lol, I'm just picturing the leg cramps I was getting sitting in traffic on I-35 in a manual Jeep Liberty. Can't imagine your S4.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.