OIL CHANGE EVERY 3,000 MILES? OH HECK NO, HOW ABOUT EVERY 15,000 MILES

4,643 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by schmellba99
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blackstone says

quote:
Toyota engines tend to wear quite well and your 3.5L engine is no exception. Universal averages show typical metal readings after about 6,700 miles on the oil. You put 12,000 miles on this fill and wear still looks great. Impressive, even! There are no problems here - this engine is still going strong. No contamination was found that might be a concern, and the oil itself held up well. No fuel or moisture was found, and silicon and insolubles show normal air and oil filtration. Go ahead and to 15,000 miles next time. Iron will increase slightly, but all else should hold steady.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Mobil-1 5W-30 15,000 mile oil.
Picard
AG
But will the filter hold up that long?

AggieDruggist89
AG
quote:
But will the filter hold up that long?

If the filter failed, wouldn't Blackstone analysis show a different result?

SG09
AG
No thanks lol
robertcope
Not many 3000 mile OCIs anymore, haven't been for a long time.

robert
Duncan Idaho
No way am I going to trust your fancy science.

I am going to keep doing 3000 mile oil changes with pure 30 at non detergent (I might use one of those fancy new castor bean based oil additives) just like my great grandfather did.
Dill-Ag13
AG
3,750 is the interval on my WRX
robertcope
quote:
Hah, I knew someone would bring this up. Even started to mention that it's the shortest OCI that I know of in a modern car.

robert
AggieDruggist89
AG
This is the analysis from Blackstone. The oil was in for 12,000 miles.

aggieforester05
AG
3K mile synthetic intervals on my Mustang due to oil fed supercharger. Would get really expensive if it was a daily driver.
BigRobSA
Did oil change for a car with 8k on it between changes, cartridge filter fell apart when I pulled the filter housing off.

I do 5k in the GTI and the Silvy. In my new-to-me racecar, I'll stick to between 3k and 5k. I beat on my cars and changing oil regularly is cheap insurance.
EskimoJoe
We once let an international 446 v8 irrigation engine on natural gas go 300 hours on an oil change. Normal oil and filter interval was 100 hours. This engine ran wide open non stop day and night powering a 1000 gallon per minute well pump and a 480 volt generator for 300 hours straight. The oil i drained out of it was as clear as the new oil i put in it. In car terms, 300 hours x 60mph = 18000 miles on that oil change.

Natural gas vehicles usually have longer intervals because it burns so clean.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
We once let an international 446 v8 irrigation engine on natural gas go 300 hours on an oil change. Normal oil and filter interval was 100 hours. This engine ran wide open non stop day and night powering a 1000 gallon per minute well pump and a 480 volt generator for 300 hours straight. The oil i drained out of it was as clear as the new oil i put in it. In car terms, 300 hours x 60mph = 18000 miles on that oil change.

Amazing to see how clean the oil coming out looks, isnt it?
Ragoo
AG
My now wife then gf had her Camry seize up because she didn't change the oil. No idea how long it had been but after opening up the engine it was all soot.
Dill-Ag13
AG
quote:
quote:
Hah, I knew someone would bring this up. Even started to mention that it's the shortest OCI that I know of in a modern car.

robert

Yup. And the they do NOT handle extended intervals well at all. I'm talking early turbo death and rod knock. I do 4k, I could maybe do 5k but it's not worth the $30 savings a year or gray hairs.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
My now wife then gf had her Camry seize up because she didn't change the oil. No idea how long it had been but after opening up the engine it was all soot.

How long between changes and failure?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
FWIW, this is a UOA on my old Mercedes, sample was at 12,000 miles and they recommended that I keep running it....

Natasha Romanoff
Every time I went to change the oil on my 2012 Accord at 5,000 miles, they would check the oil sensor and turn me away, saying I could go till the sensor was at 15%.

Now I change probably every 10,000-12,000 on average.
hatchback
AG
quote:
In my new-to-me racecar, I'll stick to between 3k and 5k.
Is this the Audi A4 that you've been working on, or did you get another toy added to the stable?
Absolute
AG
Same on my g37x. Has a tiny filter. Seems excessive to me but I don't really mind doing it. Have heard that engine runs hot and at a high pressure, whatever that means and it is probably bs. I generally get to it between 4000 and 4500 once the reminder comes on.

Wife's BMW only tells her to go in once a years, so I guess it balances out.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
In my new-to-me racecar, I'll stick to between 3k and 5k.
Is this the Audi A4 that you've been working on, or did you get another toy added to the stable?
Different. Not building the other S4 I bought. Going to sell it as a bone stock B5 S4. We're swapping drivetrains from it (Andyy's 400 AWHP 2.7tt) and a stock 2.7tt into mine, and we'll go through it and see if anything needs attention. It's got new brakes as of Thursday (NEVER buy "china" brakes for an S4. NEVER!!!!! They came with the car ) Also selling my A4, too.

I bought another B5 S4 that we built at Andy's about a year-and-a-half ago. It's ruhtard fast, 12VR6 swap, stock bottom end but custom heads, big 66mm T3 flanged turbo (going to sell that and go bigger T4 twin scroll turbo), fully built fuel system with 2 hi flow pumps and 2000cc injectors, custom built intake manifold, intercooler, intercooler piping, AWE tuning exhaust, an ultra-stout clutch that will make your left calf HUGE, and a whole bunch of other stuff. It has a much better exterior and interior than the black S4 from above. No AC though. It was never tuned for E85, but I'll get it tuned for it. On pump gas it made around 500 AWHP. On E85, on the current turbo alone, the tuner says it'll make 750 AWHP (about 1000 hp at the crank).
Dude sold it because he shredded 2nd gear by doing exactly what he was told not to do....dump the clutch on launch...and didn't want to spend ANOTHER $3k replacing it. We had taken the 01E trans apart already, so I ordered the gear from Germany and we'll put it together when it arrives. I'm sure the trans will give up the ghost eventually, they're only rated for about 600 crank HP. !st and 2nd stock gears can't handle it. If it goes out again, I'll get square cut 1st and 2nd. That won't break.

Please take any discussions about this car to this thread: Clickaroonie
aTm2004
AG
I've been running whichever full synthetic Walmart has on sale since 12k miles with a change between 8-9k. I'm sure I could go further, but I do a lot of stop and go driving during my commute and the $32 I spend on oil and a filter help me have a peace of mind.
KY AG
AG
I don't understand the fascination with extending oil changes. You spend roughly twice as much money on "high mileage oil" so it's not like you save much, if any, money. Plus, doing the oil change is usually when I inspect everything else (tires, antifreeze, hoses).
AggieDruggist89
AG
quote:
I don't understand the fascination with extending oil changes. You spend roughly twice as much money on "high mileage oil" so it's not like you save much, if any, money. Plus, doing the oil change is usually when I inspect everything else (tires, antifreeze, hoses).

I'm expecting to put 40,000 to 50,000 miles this year all interstate 75mph. I don't want to change oil every month and half.
KY AG
AG
That's reasonable. What Toyota are you driving?
AggieDruggist89
AG
2008 Avalon I bought with 76,000 miles for $14,500 in Jan of this year. Now has 105,000 miles.
RC_57
AG
quote:
2008 Avalon I bought with 76,000 miles for $14,500 in Jan of this year. Now has 1005,000 miles.
1 Million miles!!!

Dang that's impressive
AggieDruggist89
AG
Typo
EskimoJoe
quote:
quote:

Amazing to see how clean the oil coming out looks, isnt it?

The oil in a natural gas engine will typically break down and loose viscosity before it gets dark and looks dirty.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Truck is coming up on 100k, I should probably do an oil analysis on the next change.
JSKolache
AG
Earlier this year, Blackstone recommended 9k intervals on my '08 5.7 Tundra using Pennz Plat 0w30. Which is awesome, but I still like to keep it between 7-8k. Will have a check again and see if there's any difference after a few intervals...
agracer
AG
quote:

big difference between constant operation and start/stop, fast, slow variable speeds in a normal car engine.
Dr. Doctor
AG
quote:

Designing gas turbines for industrial situations, their oil changes are far and few between. But they start up, run for 30,000 hours and then shut down. Bit different than starting up 3,000 times, start/stop, and burning varying rates of fuel.

But they also have a better filter/control system than most cars. Steady work makes oil life a lot easier to predict.

~egon
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
2008 Avalon I bought with 76,000 miles for $14,500 in Jan of this year. Now has 105,000 miles.
What did you do with the RL?

How many miles did you get out of it?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.