Looking at the price of trucks...

12,331 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
craigslist link please

San Antonio Beater
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Don't forget the gov mandates a lot of things as standard these days which chases the base vehicle price to sky rocket. Like that back up camera but don't need it, too ad it's standard. Like that fuel mileage increase but don't want the extra cost of maintenance on that engine or the cost of the exhaust system on that diesel, too bad it's standard due to cafe requirements.

Bought the last two vehicles new solely for the power train warrant due to power train complications. Twin turbos 6spd/cvt transmissions are things I don't want to replace
In the driveway. No matter, Ford/Subaru conveniently "can't replicate". Only buying used old stuff going forward or super cheap so it'll be easier to let it rot in the yard than burn the money I paid for it. Thoughts and prayers for the fools buying anything 40+
THIS.

All of these brought to you by the gubmint....

Dual Airbags/SRS
ABS
TPMS
Side Impact Protection
Backup Cameras
Brake/Throttle Override
CHMSL
Emissions requirements
CAFE Standards/Fuel Economy requirements
Bumper impact standards

Call me crazy, but I think all these things are good.
I agree. They are.

But because of all those, the early 90s days of buying a single cab F150 with the 4.9L I6/5 Speed and TX/OK package with Cruise/tilt/bed light and AC/Dual Fuel Tanks, AM/FM Stereo for $11,999 are over.
Burdizzo
AG
quote:
quote:
craigslist link please

San Antonio Beater

I hope you're not the guy who just emailed me asking if I'd finance $400/month for this truck.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
So I take it I am in the minority here. The below are the vehicles I have had since 1996.

77 chevy (used)
92 chevy (used)
96 Chevy S10 (used)
98 dodge (new)
01 Z71 (new)
05 f150 (new)
07 Ram Hemi (new)
11 Hummer H3 (new)
13 Ram Hemi (new)
16 f150 (new)

The only one I didn't "buy" was the H3...I leased it. I have always been on the upside of the loan so didn't have to worry about being upside down on any of them.
1993 - 89 Camaro RS (used, cash)
1995 - 81 GMC S15 (used, cash)
1996 - 92 Ranger (used, cash)
1998 - 98 Dodge Ram (new, 5 yr note, traded in)
2000 - 00 Civic (new, 5 yr note, paid in 3)
2007 - 07 Dodge Ram HEMI (new, 5 yr note, paid in 2.5)
2016 - 16 F150 (new, 5 yr note, paid in ???)
htxag09
AG
Bought an F150 in '10. Plan on driving it for at least 5 more years. Flip side is I'm scared to death of what trucks will cost at that point in time.
Absolute
AG
It has kept me out of trucks. Just not willing to pay the premium when I can drive a nice car that I like and make it work for work. Would have paid twice as much for a similarly equipped truck to the low mileage g37 I got used.
Buck O Five
AG
There is a strong correlation in North Katy for the SUV's parked in front of the homes to be worth more than the homes themselves. In the nice houses in South Katy there are a lot of older Hondas and Toyotas.

We are headed towards a subprime auto crisis, which I hope means some great deals on vehicles.
aggieforester05
AG
I'm going to stick to two older vehicles for now a sports car and a truck. Can't see myself paying $40K for a low trim level truck or $50K for the nicer ones. I'm paying my truck off tomorrow and both of mine will be paid for. I don't want any more car payments for a long time.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
There is a strong correlation in North Katy for the SUV's parked in front of the homes to be worth more than the homes themselves.
I'm a north Katy LOLpoor....
Dr. Doctor
AG
Car/Truck Prices

Realize I'm bumping an older thread, but found this article lamenting the same topic. Interesting take they had was cars are following inflation; trucks/SUVs are not.

~egon
mellison
AG
I have no references to back up this statement but, I was under the impression that larger vehicles are priced higher (in relation to production costs) in order for the manufacturers to recoup the cost of the CAFE hit that they take on the larger, less efficient automobiles. Is this right?
aggieforester05
AG
I don't know the exact answer to that, but I do know that CAFE standards are weighted by vehicle weight. That's why I hate them so much, they disproportionately affect high performance cars. They are more fuel efficient than trucks/suvs but are subject to more stringent standards/penalties due their fuel efficiency to weight ratio. We've still got it good right now, but when CAFE takes full effect V6TT & V8 sports/muscle cars will be few and far between. They will also be very expensive.
bobinator
AG
Reading this thread, does anyone have any suggestions for smartly buying a truck these days? I'm looking at getting a new (to me at least) one towards the end of the year or perhaps early next year, but prices just seem outrageous.
htxag09
AG
Seems nowadays the cheapest price you're going to get is the Internet price. Just keep an eye on websites. This is mainly for new, though I'd imagine it would hold fairly true to used.
AlphaBean
AG
Got nearly 25% off sticker plus 0% back in April using auto trader to cast a wide net. Drove to Oklahoma City to make the deal.

I decided what I wanted then started looking. Found the best deal online and negotiated further. Then gave local dealers, including where I test drove, a chance to meet or beat. One eventually called me back saying they'd meet but I was already halfway to Ok City so just kept driving.

Be patient. Start looking before you NEED to buy. Pounce when it's right.
Buck O Five
AG
All these Houston area rains are bound to have produced some cheap trucks at TexsDirectAuto.
bmks270
AG
The starting price of any 4x4 is pretty high.
Drewmeister
AG
It certainly is now!

In 1995 my grandpa bought his "last new truck I'll ever buy", a Chevy K2500; I'm not 100% sure on numbers but I think list was $21k and he paid $16-17k. His requirements were simple: long bed, A/C, 4wd, and at least a 350, and that's about all he got -- it was a regular cab/long bed, bench seat, manual locks & windows, manual 4x4 selector on the floor (but auto trans), and it was perfect for working around the ranch and moving tractors and cattle trailers. (It also could easily fit in a garage with room to spare... not that it spent much time in one!)

An inflation calculator says $17k in 1995 is $26.8k now. I don't think you can buy any new truck for that price now (maybe a great deal on a base model Colorado?), let alone a 3/4-ton 4x4. Also, long bed trucks seem to be quite rare now.
Presley OBannons Sword
Macarthur said:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't forget the gov mandates a lot of things as standard these days which chases the base vehicle price to sky rocket. Like that back up camera but don't need it, too ad it's standard. Like that fuel mileage increase but don't want the extra cost of maintenance on that engine or the cost of the exhaust system on that diesel, too bad it's standard due to cafe requirements.

Bought the last two vehicles new solely for the power train warrant due to power train complications. Twin turbos 6spd/cvt transmissions are things I don't want to replace
In the driveway. No matter, Ford/Subaru conveniently "can't replicate". Only buying used old stuff going forward or super cheap so it'll be easier to let it rot in the yard than burn the money I paid for it. Thoughts and prayers for the fools buying anything 40+
THIS.

All of these brought to you by the gubmint....

Dual Airbags/SRS
ABS
TPMS
Side Impact Protection
Backup Cameras
Brake/Throttle Override
CHMSL
Emissions requirements
CAFE Standards/Fuel Economy requirements
Bumper impact standards

Call me crazy, but I think all these things are good.

Sure, if you're big into the government knowing how to look out for you because you can't take care of yourself.

Most of this stuff should be optional.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.