Texas DMV just revoked the titles of every Ariel Atom in Texas

32,274 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by dubi
Yuccadoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You read that right. According to the letter from the DMV: "They pose a risk to the general public".

Texas is now out in front in the race with California to exhibit true left coast thinking. Cowboys, the fruits and flakes are taking over.

I'm not going down without a fight. I'll make my own plate: QQQQ
BigRobSA
Has there been an overabundance of accidents where Atoms are out murdering people left and right that I haven't heard about?
Mookie
AG
A clear and present danger.

Yucc, tell them they can pry your atom from your cold dead hands.
Yuccadoo
No. I don't know of a single accident in Texas involving an Atom.
aggieforester05
AG
Why in the world is our government wasting time on this kind of stupidity?
Furlock Bones
AG
Jeevus Christ
Centerpole90
AG
Horse's laugh @ TXDOT (DMV, whoever)
FLATOUT
AG
Really? That's Bull****.
Centerpole90
AG
http://www.arielatomchat.com/forums/thread2198.html
BigRobSA
A buddy of mine here in Iowa has a VW-based buggy he fab'd from scratch. WAY more "dangerous" (and it's not dangerous at all with an air-cooled engine as powerplant. ) than an Atom with current tech all around and it's Iowa DOT certified and street legal.
Goat Man
AG
I just don't understand. How can an Atom be LESS safe than a motorcycle? Idiots.
Yuccadoo
quote:
http://www.arielatomchat.com/forums/thread2198.html
Yeah Centerpole, that Axecent guy seems to have his head screwed on right.
Yuccadoo
Coincidence?

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2014/dec/27/ticker-barry-moores-dead/#

This happened in California:

The nephew of Texas-bred mega-millionaire John Moores has died after a crashing his rare British-made Ariel Atom into an SUV on a curvy Rancho Santa Fe road on Christmas Eve.

Barry Alexander Moores, 21, the son of Barry Owen Moores, a noted optometrist and inventor, died 3:58 p.m. on Christmas Day at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla.According to TV news reports, the crash happened at two o'clock in the afternoon and may have been linked to speeding.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Wait, so revoked titles or revoked registrations?

Who owns it if they revoked titles? The state? No one?
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Why in the world is our government wasting time on this kind of stupidity?

Because we don't stop them from doing it. I know this isn't the politics board but over the past 102 years we've gone from a nation with a government accountable to the people to one with the people accountable to the government. One step at a time they have taken over our lives to the point where they make pretty much every important decision for us. It shouldn't shock you that **** like this gets passed in a world where they tell us damn near everything else along the way.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Coincidence?

The nephew of Texas-bred mega-millionaire John Moores has died after a crashing his rare British-made Ariel Atom into an SUV on a curvy Rancho Santa Fe road on Christmas Eve.

Barry Alexander Moores, 21, the son of Barry Owen Moores, a noted optometrist and inventor, died 3:58 p.m. on Christmas Day at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla.According to TV news reports, the crash happened at two o'clock in the afternoon and may have been linked to speeding.
So it was revoked because some rich idiot gave his 21 year old son an Atom?
Centerpole90
AG
I didn't figure you for a cobra guy, but just knew you had to be in there somewhere.

I presume revoking the titles relegates them to the track?
p_bubel
Absolutely insane to do this after the fact.
Yuccadoo
Guitar....I was just appealing to the conspiracy theorist in all of us. 9>)

CenterP.....pretty much makes it a track only car or a very expensive paperweight, as was mentioned elsewhere.

Before I bought it, I did my homework, talked to DMV, tax office, etc. THEN I shelled out the substantial purchase price BECAUSE it was my desire to have this car for driving on the street and DMV/tax office told me that the conditions and title under which I was purchasing the car would make it simple to register and title in Texas....which it was.

I just didn't anticipate they could subsequently state that they 'erroneously issued title and registration' and revoke a right previously granted to me with no further hearings, finding of facts, or substantiation of their claims. They will pay for the postage to return to them my title, plates, a copy of their letter to me and the registration sticker with their self-addressed envelope.

Where is there any due process in this action?
Guitarsoup
AG
If you used an address to register it in Louisiana or whatever state you are closest to, would you still be able to drive it in Texas?
ILikeTacos
AG
If I was a betting man, I bet this has a lot to do with the polaris slingshot controversy going on here in Texas.
Dill-Ag13
AG
quote:
If I was a betting man, I bet this has a lot to do with the polaris slingshot controversy going on here in Texas.
Ding ding ding ding
TxAg20
AG
I don't understand revoking the title. I've owned many, and currently own 2, vehicles that are not street legal but still have a title.

Good luck getting sales tax back. You still have to pay sales tax on vehicles that are not street legal. In fact, you'll probably owe more sales tax as the tax rate for street legal vehicles is fixed by the state (6.25%) and non-street legal vehicles are subject to the local municipality's sales tax (8.25% in my city).

Like others have suggested, do the "Texas two-step" and register the vehicle in another state. Attorneys in Montana are easy to find and they'll do all the leg work for you.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
Coincidence?

You guys may not believe it, but I know John Moores. He founded a very successful and well known Houston based software company. He continues to be an active investor in technology companies and is a generous philanthropist. I cannot speak for Barry Owen Moores (don't know him) but John is a great man.

I cannot imagine that John has anything to do with Texas' ridiculous position toward the Ariel Atom.
Tree Hugger
AG
I'd rather they found a way to keep under-experienced drivers from operating something like this rather than punishing everyone. You have to have a special license/training to operate a semi, why not for a high-performance car? It might keep some of these idiots from shelling out cash for a Ferrari/Lambo/etc. and then crashing it on the way home because they have no idea how to safely drive it.

I will probably never own a high performance car (don't fit in most), but I would seriously consider taking some form of performance driving class before I ever would buy one. Not just for the safety factor, but you might as well know how to get the most out of the car and not just getting out there and burning up tires because you have no idea what you are doing.
Guitarsoup
AG
I still think you should have to qualify for a higher-level license to use the left lane on a multi-lane highway.
TSW2012
AG
I know this is not politics board but....
Not sure that more government is the solution to this particular problem.
TSW2012
AG
quote:
I still think you should have to qualify for a higher-level license to use the left lane on a multi-lane highway.

I think this is solution to roadway funding issues. Say 500-1000 bucks a year gets you a left lane sticker. Also car has to be less than 5 years old and in good mechanical shape. In exchange no/faster speed limit.
BigRobSA
quote:
I'd rather they found a way to keep under-experienced drivers from operating something like this rather than punishing everyone. You have to have a special license/training to operate a semi, why not for a high-performance car? It might keep some of these idiots from shelling out cash for a Ferrari/Lambo/etc. and then crashing it on the way home because they have no idea how to safely drive it.

I will probably never own a high performance car (don't fit in most), but I would seriously consider taking some form of performance driving class before I ever would buy one. Not just for the safety factor, but you might as well know how to get the most out of the car and not just getting out there and burning up tires because you have no idea what you are doing.
It should be 110% voluntary, but your idea makes sense. I say it should be voluntary because you know that if "we" allowed the govt to make up some rule, they'd f/ck it up 8 ways to Wednesday. But, yes, taking a course in how to drive a supercar would make sense prior to purchasing/driving that vehicle.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

I think this is solution to roadway funding issues. Say 500-1000 bucks a year gets you a left lane sticker. Also car has to be less than 5 years old and in good mechanical shape. In exchange no/faster speed limit.
Don't like the 5 year old rule. As long as they run good and can keep up, let them go. No reason to block something like an NSX, 911, or Ferrari just because they aren't 2010 or newer.
TSW2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't like the 5 year old rule. As long as they run good and can keep up, let them go. No reason to block something like an NSX, 911, or Ferrari just because they aren't 2010 or newer.

Just spitballing here. Maybe a secondary inspection for older cars to qualify.
Guitarsoup
AG
Nah. If the driver can pass the higher-level driving test and fork over some extra cash, they can drive anything but a Prius in the left lane.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:

But government regulation is the solution to who should drive in the left lane?
Silvy
AG
#RACETRUCK has a hard enough time passing one inspection
TSW2012
AG
quote:
quote:

But government regulation is the solution to who should drive in the left lane?

No because the roads should be privatized
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.