Still on the hunt for a Jeep....

3,151 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And found this!

1977 CJ-7

I think I may have finally found a potential winner until I have an house and a garage to do major work on it.

What are y'all's thoughts?

My boss wants me to buy his 2008 JK Unlimited Sport (45k miles) for $22k. It's definitely all Jeep brah'd out with bumper, lift, 35's, and winch but I don't think I want anything that new nor do I really want a car payment before I buy a house.
TxLawDawg
AG
Have you talked to the owner? That's either a fantastic deal or a scam. He's got more than $5500 in it if he did all of the things listed. Besides, why is it on the Killeen craigslist if it's located in Frisco?
Gigemags05
AG
That is a pretty good deal if its as advertised.

He has replaced a lot of stuff, the biggest being the tub. But other than the tub, most of it was inexpensive.

I would check the usual spots on the frame for rust. Maybe bring a magnet and run it over the body to see if there is excessive bondo on certain spots.

I would also check the oil pressure. with the engine being that old, it could be starting to get tired, although the mileage isn't terrible.
Gigemags05
AG
also, a CJ for $5500>>>>>> a 2008 jeep for $22k.

New jeeps are a dime a dozen, and all pretty much blend in with each other. The old CJ's, especially clean ones like that, are getting more and more rare.

Obviously I am biased because I own a CJ. But I think there is no comparison between owning the two for a "fun" vehicle.

Now if it was a daily driver that'd be a completely different story.
Dill-Ag13
AG
That looks awesome
TX_AG_10
AG
Agreed. That's a nice rig if everything is as advertised!
KY AG
AG
If it was a 5 - sure. But I've never been a big fan of the death trap 7. So I would pass.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Besides, why is it on the Killeen craigslist if it's located in Frisco?
Because it's not a far drive. I know several people who live in Houston and list in CS, Austin, SA, CC, and Dallas when listing non-as-common vehicles. Merely casting a wider net in hopes of catching a buyer and why not? It is free after all.....

Looks like a good deal, but go into it with open eyes and clear head. Ensure that it truly is a good deal by checking over the normal problem areas.
Gigemags05
AG
I was under the impression that the 7 was the safer of the two.

I'd own either without hesitation.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I've talked to the owner thru email, seems legit.

From the list of stuff he talks about, i am also having trouble believing he only wants $5,500.

Ill probably go check it out this weekend (Sunday) if it's still available. Unless i talk myself out of it somehow.
clarythedrill
Add is pulled. I have been checking craigslist daily for the last month looking for a good CJ, and only one I saw in Frisco was a CJ7 that was painted gun metal gray with no top or doors. They were asking 5500 for it, but it was nothing special.
Corps_Ag12
AG
quote:
Add is pulled. I have been checking craigslist daily for the last month looking for a good CJ, and only one I saw in Frisco was a CJ7 that was painted gun metal gray with no top or doors. They were asking 5500 for it, but it was nothing special.

That is the ad I had linked above.
clarythedrill
Good luck with your search. There are some really nice ones out there, but they seem to be in the 9k range, and I am not going to pay that much. Have you thought about opening up the search to include YJs? There are some nice ones out there with the inline six for reasonable prices.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I've thought about it since you can do a YJ to CJ front clip conversion. I just like the look of the CJs so much. You can also pull the dash of the YJ and install a CJ dash in its place since the tubs are basically the same.
Silvy
AG
MJ
Dr. Faustus
AG
ZJ

Corps_Ag12
AG
I'd love a J10 truck too (think Tremors)

or even Twister (but with Tremors front end)

clarythedrill
Corp_Ags, I too like the front end of the CJ better, but having owned both a YJ and CJ, I have found the YJ to be just an all around better vehicle. The gauges seem to work better on the YJ, and since they are separated, they are easier to work on when they stop working, which I have found rarely happens on the YJ. I am surprised no company made a bolt in replacement grill with round headlights, instead of having to replace the front end of the YJ with CJ parts. Seems you could make a killing making those and selling to YJ owners.
Gigemags05
AG
It is true that there are probably fewer differences between the cj and yj than there are between the yj and the tj.

It's more than the round headlights, though. The front clip of a yj looks a lot different. Almost a little shorter.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a yj
And I'd be very happy with it. But there is no doubt a cj has that classic look that draws me to it.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
I'd love a J10 truck too (think Tremors)

or even Twister (but with Tremors front end)

Actually I saw a nice one on CL yesterday. The color combo is nice too.....

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4726237016.html
Corps_Ag12
AG
That does look clean, maybe it'll still be there when I'm at the Woodlands in a couple weeks. I love how Jeep never bothered to change the radiator support when they changed the grille every couple years. Just made it work
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.