Truck bed partitions

21,724 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by AgEng08
AgEng08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So... I'm sure you've all seen people put a 2x6 or something in the slots in the bed of a truck to keep things from sliding around/add some tie down points.

I found some decent ideas online of what other folks have done (pics below).

I was curious if any of you guys have come up with any cool ideas for a bed partition. I figured the folks on Texags would have some pretty innovative ideas.

To avoid a thread derail...
Yes, I've seen ratcheting cargo bars.
No, I don't have a bed liner on my new truck, but in my experience things can still move around a pretty good bit in the back with a liner. I will be getting a line-x liner at some point in the future.

This guy cut slots along a 2x6 and recessed a 1/4" lag bolt in the center of the slots to allow stuff to be tied down easily with bungees.

Similar idea with eye bolts.

This guy added a compartment behind the 2x6

Any other good ideas???
The Wonderer
AG
Shower or curtain rods. Cheap, light weight, and easily adjustable.
AgEng08
AG
Yeah... I had considered that as kind of the same idea as the cargo bar. If the slot in the bed isn't in the right place a cargo bar or tension rod of some sort would be a good idea.

I was thinking a 2x6 with the slots and lag bolts would be nice because you could tie stuff down to it.
The Wonderer
AG
Yep. I use them because I have a Bed Rug and using wood tears the fibers up. Plus, I'm not only relegated to the predetermined slots.
Silvy
AG
My dad uses an untreated 2x4
mustang6tee8
AG
Sorry for off topic OP, but this has to be addressed:
quote:
My dad uses an untreated 2x4

Silvy
AG
He even uses in the EcoBOOOOOOOST
mustang6tee8
AG
Say it ain't so!
moore42
AG
Please tell me you aren't doing this so you can drive with your tailgate down for "better fuel mileage".
AgEng08
AG
Nahh man. I am getting a Bakflip F1 and want something under the cover to, like I said, keep stuff from sliding around/tie stuff down.

I thought that maybe someone on this forum used the 2x slots in their truck bed for this reason and would have a cool idea regarding a mod to the 2x to make it a little better/more useful.
agnerd
AG
I just use unmodified 2x6s only to keep things from sliding. In my mind, if it needs to be strapped down, it needs to be attached to a permanent mount that can't loosen if you hit a big bump. While the modificants look cool and seem like a good idea, I just don't think I'd ever use them given the amount of other tiedown points already in a truck bed. Maybe if I had them I'd use them.
AgEng08
AG
I'm not talking about securing a serious load here. I'm talking about using a bungee cord to keep a box or tool bag from sliding around.

Also, aren't there like 4 tie down points in a truck bed (my truck doesn't have stake hole pockets). Not really a huge amount of options.
agnerd
AG
If you only have 4 tie down points, I could see them being very useful. I have 8-12 to work with plus the rails. And since I'm usually driving alone, I use the cab for anything small or light-weight.
Gigemags05
AG
I can't think of any reason someone would opt to go spend $6-$8 on a 2X6 and lag bolts,then spend the 20-30 minutes on cutting it to the right length and adding the slots, just to have a big board that gets in the way when you aren't using it or need to haul a larger load.

A cargo bar is about the same cost, is more versatile, consumes less space, and is more easily stored.
AgEng08
AG
Nerd...
I may do this, utilizing holes for Ford accessories track, for some secure tie down points (from f150forum.com)

Gigemags...
I'm not sure if you're serious. You can easily lift out a 2x6 if needed and it wouldn't take up much more space, if any, when compared to a cargo bar. Also, if you used a 2x6 and wanted to load up a bunch of stuff and a 4 wheeler or motorcycle, you could park the 4 wheeler or motorcycle on top of the 2x6, but probably not a cargo bar.
Gigemags05
AG
I am serious.

A 2X6 isn't near as efficient as a cargo bar and isn't as versatile. I do realize you might not be able to drive a four wheeler over a cargo bar, but other than that, I don't see any advantage to a bed partition.

To each his own.
AgEng08
AG
My actual plan is to have both a cargo bar and a 2x6.

I will be putting a bakflip cover on my bed. With the 2x6 (similar to the first image) in the slot in the rear of the bed it will keep items easily accessible from the tailgate. I will be able to secure items at any point along the width of the bed to the 2x6. The cargo bar is a little more limited, in that it would only keep items from sliding forward and doesn't really create a point where I can tie things down with a bungee. I saw you can get a cargo bar that will secure items to the corner of the bed when needed, which is kind of cool. Also, the 2x6 will allow tall and short items to be secured, while a bar may allow a short item to slide underneath and a tall item to tip over the bar if the bar is secured low.

The cargo bar will be used when the 2x6 doesn't allow enough room or I need to secure something to the front of the bed.

There are pros and cons to both, but thanks for your input.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.