Should I get a paint job at MAACO

12,035 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Silvy
Another Doug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 10 year old Accord that I will probably keep it another 6 months. The clear coat is pealing to the point that it is very noticeable and is sure to be a factor when I try to sell it. The car's kbb value is probably around $4000. The MAACO in question would be in B/CS.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I'd sell it as is. Maaco is like putting lipstick on a pig.
The Fife
Basically. Their paint jobs to me look like the car was in an accident and put back together poorly.
TxLawDawg
AG
I'll respectfully disagree. In my opinion it all depends on what your paint looks like now and what you're looking for. Obviously it's an inexpensive paint job, so it won't be perfect. However, in many circumstances it can make a vehicle look much better and increase the value.

Many years ago I bought a '91 Toyota 4x4 as a toy. The truck was supposed to be red, but the paint was majorly faded and looked absolutely terrible. It was actually more pink than it was red.

(Sorry, these pictures were taken at night and aren't good, but you get the point.)

Like you, I hated the paint but didn't want to spend much money on the truck, so I took it to Earl Scheib (cheap paint jobs, just like Maaco). I think the paint job cost me less than $500, and the results were amazing.

Man I miss that truck.

[This message has been edited by TxLawDawg (edited 11/17/2010 12:03p).]
KRamp90
AG
quote:
Earl Scheib

"I'll paint any car, any color for $ 99.99!"
el_scorcho
AG
If you can handle some of the prep work and remove the trim that you don't want just taped off, you can actually get a fairly decent job done. Again, it's the prep that makes the difference.
DakotaAg01
AG
I've had good experiences with Maaco. I had my truck repainted when I was in HS in Houston and it looked great up until I sold the vehicle. Also, in late 2000 or early 2001, I had some fender flares painted at the BCS Maaco. I noticed just the other day that they have a small amount of oxidation on the top edge. So I got about 10 years out of that one.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I had a crown vic painted by maaco. THREE times within 60 days.

Never again

As el scorcho said, its all the prep work, which sounds like you dont want to do.

Basically, they sanded my car with a scotch brite pad, and used a single stage process. Clear coat with color pigment in it and sprayed the car and gave it back to me. This was the "Supreme" paint job.
Aggietaco
AG
I'll throw in another rep for Maaco. I had an '88 Jeep Wagoneer for my first vehicle that needed paint pretty badly, especially after a few bites from rocks and trees, so I took it to Maaco. They did a damned find job of matching the original factory paint with a slight tint that matched the wood grain a bit better. The only work I had to do was a bit of over spray removal from the windows and some of the chrome trim. The paint was still holding up well when I took it back to stock and donated it to Goodwill after 5 years of service.
Max06
AG
Every MAACO is independently owned & operated, so the quality depends solely on the ownership.

The MAACO here in B/CS is pretty good from what work I have seen from them.
malibu9in1
lipstick on a pig!!! i havnt heard that in a month of sundays! U get what u pay for at maaco. I spent about 2k on paint and stuff alone on my malibu. This will give u a idea on what stuff costs.
RyanC
AG
I had a friend who went to Maaco once. His car came back having never been wet sanded (paint had the feel of an orange peel) and had rampant overspray, including on the interior carpets. Stay far away.
tinker35
I would have to a agree with malibu.

They recently did a job on a vehicle for my wifes work.

They were really behind on schedule, and the paint didn't lay very well.

They also left tape all over the inside of the gas filler (not a big deal to take of but, definitely questions the quality control)

I does look like the have different levels of service (I know that my wife work was higher end of their packages)

If I was going to be putting paint on just to sell the car, I would just discount it and let them mess with it.

If I was going to keep it, I would go to a higher end shop (my 2 cents, crap broke again)
CATAGBQ04
AG
MEH, MAACO paint job is a MAACO paint job...nothing more.

You get what you pay for.
TMoney2007
AG
Do your own prep work and you might end up with something worthwhile. If you don't, expect overspray galore.
Trinity Ag
S
I would also document the before & after with a lot of pictures to show that the paint was for cosmetic reasons and not because are covering up rust or hiding the fact you hit a rhinoceros going 90 MPH.
Madman
AG
If you have a decent canvas they are going to do a decent paint job. If you are expecting a lot of time and attention to detail they are probably not the right place.
BaronVonAggie
AG
Prime and tape it yourself and it'll come out ok. You'll still have a million imperfections, bubbles, and general awfulness but hey thats Maaco. It'll look ok from 20 feet away in traffic if thats what you're after.

[This message has been edited by BaronVonAggie (edited 11/20/2010 4:56p).]
Myha30
quote:
quote:
Earl Scheib

"I'll paint any car, any color for $ 99.99!"

Are you still doing this?
Myha30
Just wondering are you still doing this?
Mookie
AG
Da fuq?
Knucklesammich
Greatest TTT in history or most random?
Silvy
AG
The fine folks of the Auto Board didn't even know who I was yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.