CARFAX Report requests...Read Here

82,933 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cruiserag2020
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy All,

For the past 3 or 4 years, many members of Texags Auto board have purchased carfax subscriptions for many various reasons and out of graciousness and generosity, have shared our subscriptions with Texags members.

As of Jan 1, 2010, Carfax has changed their subscriptions. There are no longer 'unlimited' accounts. You can buy one report, or 5 reports. No more unlimited reports.

Because of this, the automotive board asks that you don't litter the board with, "Can I get a CarFax report please?" threads. Here is a link to their WEBSITE.

You can either ask the seller to provide one or spend the money to get one on your own.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 1/19/2010 11:03a).]
AggieDruggist89
AG
yeah!! What he said!
AG
I would like to start an "I beat carfax" thread where we all admit to having a near totalled vehicle resurrected without any hits on carfax so that we can prove how worthless it is.

BigRobSA
When I traded in my Mustang, I disclosed both accidents (both times I was hit, other's fault) and the approximate dollar value of repairs. Iowa law dictates anything over $1600 (IIRC) be disclosed, but neither of mine equalled that much. I still felt it the honest thing to do.

The salesman came back and told me that the carfax only showed my trips to dealer for oil changes and the like, nothing about the repairs.
CATAGBQ04
AG
I bet my little hit and run incident will show up on mine...
The Fife
Are there competitors to Carfax that do unlimited searches?
Mookie
AG
The only way to get it is with a dealer account.

So I'm off the hook now?
AgGrad99
AG
Also, for $5, you can now get a vehicle history report directly from the NMVTIS:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9DFJ97O1&show_article=1
Prestige Worldwide
AG
As a car dealer, I hate CARFAX. Here are the reasons why:
1) There are an incredible number (mind-numbing actually) of vehicles that have extensive body/paint work that do not show up on a CARFAX report.
2) These people market to a customer (the consumer) and tell them to ask their "reputable" dealer for one (as if they are FREAKING FREE).
I am mostly just a hater because I can't think of a product to market to a customer that they can get someone ELSE to pay for, but the reality is that consumers have this AMAZING loyalty to a CARFAX report...
Prestige Worldwide
AG
As a car dealer, I hate CARFAX. Here are the reasons why:
1) There are an incredible number (mind-numbing actually) of vehicles that have extensive body/paint work that do not show up on a CARFAX report.
2) These people market to a customer (the consumer) and tell them to ask their "reputable" dealer for one (as if they are FREAKING FREE).
I am mostly just a hater because I can't think of a product to market to a customer that they can get someone ELSE to pay for, but the reality is that consumers have this AMAZING loyalty to a CARFAX report...
Burnsey
AG
Prestige,

A dealerships costs are passed on to the consumer, CARFAX reports aren't any different.

Ideally, the problem you talked about with incomplete or inaccurate reports will be resolved or minimized. There's nothing wrong with an informed consumer...

Prestige Worldwide
AG
quote:
A dealerships costs are passed on to the consumer, CARFAX reports aren't any different.

When I price a vehicle and then the customer asks for a Carfax, I don't say "No problem, give me $15 bucks." I print them one and absorb the cost of it.

Don't misconstrue the point of my post. I am in favor of an informed customer. It actualy makes my job easier. I would figure an informed customer would appreciate knowing that a CARFAX will not keep them from buying a previously wrecked vehicle.
aggiepaintrain
AG
How do you feel about "Kelly Blue Book"?
Prestige Worldwide
AG
quote:
How do you feel about "Kelly Blue Book"?

No comment...

"This is my office and beat laboratory."
Mookie
AG
if you are a dealer, why are you paying per report? don't you have the unlimited access?
Prestige Worldwide
AG
1) I don't pay for a subscription.

2) when a customer requests one, I provide them with Carfax's competitors report.

I inherently disagree with the way Carfax markets their product. I believe they misrepresent the information they actually provide. Just my .02
regurkmatt
you can email the guy on "the car guy show" and he'll send you a car fax for free...
taxpreparer
AG
Prestige, like I tell all of my business clients, I am not an expert at the XXXX business (in your case CAR,) but there are certain expenses that should be included as overhead. I am surprised that you do not have cost of CarFax included on every car on your lot. In fact, I think you should consider whether displaying the document on the car would increase the perception of the integrity of your business.

carfax lies.
fighterpilot
S
Many used cars on dealer lots were rentals in their past lives. Rental companies are self insured. I frequently see cars that came from auction with a clean Carfax that, when inspected, show signs of extensive body repair. Carfax only works if the history is reported. However, a 'total' will almost always show up on the report.
Bewareofgigem
I asked a salesman for a Carfax once. He said I didn't need it, it was a 2007 and he stood by the truck 100%. Plus it cost him money to get one - complained the same as Prestige is. I told him to give me my keys and left. I hate worthless salesman that are more concerned with their bottom line.
GtownRAB
AG
Your post is missing the whole point. $15 bucks on the price of a car is nothing. The validity of CARFAX is what is in question. I lump them in with Consumer Reports. All of people fall for their crap and believe it helps them make a more informed decision.

They are there first to make money.
helgs
AG
Here's 1ags as Sarah Palin on the set of Larry King Live:

http://xtranormal.com/watch/6696525/

Context: http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1633882&forum_id=46

[This message has been edited by helgs (edited 6/8/2010 4:00p).]
AgLA06
AG
Maybe you guys in the industry can give more insite, but when I was looking for a vehicle we did both the Carfax and NADA reports. This was a year ago, but the NADA reports were a one time fee or unlimited subscription depending on what you wanted.

The NADA reports had much mor info and had seemed to be more exact. In one case the NADA showed a bent frame from an auction sale while the Carfax showed nothing.

“A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.” F.L.W.
Mookie
AG
an auction announcement from a manheim auction will only show up on autocheck. they do not report to carfax other than the listing.
Walter Kovacs
AG
ttt
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Thank GOD! Blue Diamond for you sir.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ttt
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ttt
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
jh0400
AG
ttt
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TTT
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ttt
Silvy
Aggie0712
Got it...Thanks!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.