Unruly kids, lack of admin support chasing Temple teachers away

3,539 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cowboy1990
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unruly kids cited as no.1 reason for mass exodus of teachers at Temple ISD

Lack of support from administration no. 2

What the hell is going on over there?

http://m.tdtnews.com/news/article_d648d442-47ea-11e6-af24-0b08592f0663.html?mode=jqm
Astrobo
AG
"Since July 7, the Temple Independent School District has lost 133 teachers from the 2015-16 school year, including some who did not even complete 90 days."

Surely this is incorrect. 133 teachers quit in 5 days?
Captain Pablo
AG
Probably meant "as of" July 7
3rd Generation Ag
AG
It might be right. That week was the END of the small window when teachers can resign from a school called the contract out date. After than the district can and usually will block you from getting another job till the end of the next academic year.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Otherwise that number is not large for a district the size of Temple, in fact it would be amazingly small.

The big issued for Temple AND everywhere now are what is mentioned. Bad kids, lack of good support from administrators, and a non teacher friendly work environment.
Gigemchicken90
AG
I don't know the number but Cameron lost a large number of teachers this year as well. I would like to see a summary of those exit interviews.
c-jags
i can absolutely promise. that number is pretty big in that short a time.

over a year? no.

but i handled outgoing accounts for Belton and i can absolutely promise you that they had nowhere near that departure rate from may to July. That's telling that a lot of people either were holding out for other jobs, and got them or just quit without other prospects.

not criticizing TISD or their staff. They have a lot harder environment and i'm appreciative of the great men and women we have there.
mazzag
AG
Says the guy that lives in Temple, but sends his kids to BISD.
Not trying to be ugly, just giving you a hard time. I don't know. I have a friend that is 45 and went thru TISD (way different demographics back then) Her 2 youngest go to Academy and the oldest goes to Temple. I asked her why and she said because he's ADHD and Academy couldn't handle him. At Temple, he's done much better because there's more kids like him and teachers there deal with ADHD on a regular basis. She went to Baylor and has a masters from TAMU, so she's not dumb.
Belton hires A LOT of their "own". Former students that have come back to the community and stay here. My son had 2 middle school teachers that only taught one year, but their husbands were military, so they probably moved. That could be part of what's going on at TISD?
templeton
http://www.kcentv.com/news/local/temple-isd-addresses-teachers-concerns/272172022

much ado about nothing IMO.

cjags--y'all homeschooling again?
mazzag
AG
quote:
"The office will always have, almost always have, more information than a classroom teacher will have, not just about what's happening in the school but also what's happening outside of the school," Battershell said.

"A lot of times we just don't know," Battershell said. "I think people presume that at the central office, that we know everything that's going on and we don't. Unless we're told something or know it we can't do anything about it."

Do what? Is this the same super temple hired away from salado? And I thought Temple brought back paddling a few years ago? I think they are just prepping tax payers for a tax rate hike to be able to pay teachers more. A little at a time. Pass the bond first, then create a panick of losing teachers so they can get more money.
c-jags
quote:
Says the guy that lives in Temple, but sends his kids to BISD.

We actually homeschool. So booya. And we only went to BISD because I worked there. Come middle school our kids will be in TISD.

Templeton, yes we are again. This probably will be the last year for our oldest.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
"The office will always have, almost always have, more information than a classroom teacher will have, not just about what's happening in the school but also what's happening outside of the school," Battershell said.

"A lot of times we just don't know," Battershell said. "I think people presume that at the central office, that we know everything that's going on and we don't. Unless we're told something or know it we can't do anything about it."

Do what? Is this the same super temple hired away from salado? And I thought Temple brought back paddling a few years ago? I think they are just prepping tax payers for a tax rate hike to be able to pay teachers more. A little at a time. Pass the bond first, then create a panick of losing teachers so they can get more money.

Pathetic quotes from the supe

And I don't think this is much ado about nothing... I have heard from teachers regarding lack of administrative support --- the problem being far worse than at Killeen ISD and Belton ISD, although I have started hearing rumblings out of Belton recently as well

mazzag
AG
My bad. I thought they still went there.
mazzag
AG

I think this belongs here

http://m.tdtnews.com/news/article_3687a5fc-4ed2-11e6-934e-776679b6d8c8.html?mode=jqm
3rd Generation Ag
AG
This makes me sad because I was a product of Emerson Elementary. It was new when I went to it.
Reno Hightower
With all those problems, maybe parents should look at getting their kids into Academy or Troy or Moody.
Cowboy1990
quote:
With all those problems, maybe parents should look at getting their kids into Academy or Troy or Moody.

Pretty sure that's already been happening for over 30 years....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.