Best route to Destin Area

3,052 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 3rd Generation Ag
Ctxaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We leave for Destin on July 9 from Temple. We're planning to take IH10 to Baton Rouge the IH12 to Slidell, and IH10 to Florida. Are there any freeways to avoid or recommended alternative routes.
Matsui
AG
We did the 36 to 6 to 290 to 10 last year. Remember it bottlenecks around the mobile tunnel starting about 11 am. Keep an eye on waze or google maps for traffic issues on 10. We took 10 all the way to the turn off to take the toll bridge into Destin.
Matsui
AG
We stopped 4 times for food/gas/bathroom breaks and it took 12-13 hours. Something like that.
The Grinder (99)
AG
It's been at least 6 years since I did this (and even then I was starting in Conroe), but I believe taking 105 at navasota all the way to Beaumont saves at least 45 min and potentially more by avoiding Houston traffic
3rd Generation Ag
AG
We always go 105 and that is because it let use avoid Houston. The drive from here to CS is almost an autopilot thing, then navasota, Conroe and you are at the state line almost before you know it. Of course some people do not mind Houston traffic and interstates. I do. We go to Orlando, and my daughter and I have made it as far as Pensacola in an easy day with frequent stops. When the guys are with us we drive through without stopping and usually are in Orlando in about 20 hours.
TexasAggie89
Do not go through Houston. Do not go 105 through Conroe

Here's your route:
Temple (53/485) to Hearne, to Bryan, to Roans Prairie, to Richards, to New Waverly, to Cleveland, to Beaumont to I-10 East

Be sure to bypass around Cleveland

Plot exact route/roads on a map and go

Bulldog73
AG
Quit telling people my secret route!
Ctxaggie
AG
We did 105 thru Conroe to Beaumont. Will try the secret route next time.
mazzag
AG
I'm going to Lake Charles next month and this secret route seems like a lot of trouble. Please convince me why it's better than going thru Conroe plus I haven't been thru cut and shoot in a long ass time.
mazzag
AG
What about 7 to 287 to Beaumont? Anyone tried that?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
And you dont actually go thru conroe. Turn left on the loop as you get into town and go around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.