House design in Temple

2,771 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mazzag
buckyisking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anyone recommend a house designer in the Temple area?
GIF Reactor
AG
Try Tim Rafferty @ Neal Architects in Temple. 778-1466
Matsui
AG
Keila builders
Great folks
Goose812
AG
Great House Plans
Frank Pendleton
254-228-7817
FrAgOlRock
AG
I can tell you who not to use and that is Eagle Ridge Builders...
TexasAggie89
Keila didn't go to A&M, but he bleeds about as deep maroon as you can get. Kids all went to A&M and he's at Kyle for every home game... That family is Aggie to the core....

Great guy
c-jags
just met Kiela the other day. super nice guy. and in an A&M shirt.

Bobby Arnold does some FANTASTIC homes, but i don't know where all he builds.
mazzag
AG
quote:
Can anyone recommend a house designer in the Temple area?

Just curious, where are you building? There's some great builders in the area that don't build in "master planned" neighborhoods. I can recommend several off the radar, but just curious of your needs.
buckyisking
AG
Troy
mazzag
AG
Jim Volney & Tim Kasberg are good custom builders.
mazzag
AG
quote:
I can tell you who not to use and that is Eagle Ridge Builders...

Why do you say this? Don't know much about them except that we're getting slow paid for work we've done on his lots. I guess liens are an option but some homes have closed. I guess my next option is title insurance?
FrAgOlRock
AG
My wife and I initially began designing our first home with him. During our first conversation we picked the lot and the floor plan and I told him the price range that I wanted to stay between. He said "that isn't a problem." We worked with the architect to make a few changes to the floor plan over the next 3 months (nothing major and no additional sq.ft.). Changes were mostly lighting locations, hose bib locations, and flooring selections. After the changes he came back and said that we were "well within the price range".

Well, fast forward a month and we are about to finalize the floor plan and sign documents to begin building and he comes back with a final price that is more than $30,000 higher than my max price. I told him that we were not purchasing the house for the price he specified. He got a little frustrated and said that he felt like there was a miscommunication and that he didn't mean to lead me on. I told him that there was no miscommunication. I was VERY CLEAR from the beginning. During the first conversation about the price I said, "if we can't be in this price range then we shouldn't be talking" to which he responded "I understand and we will be well within that price range."

After I told him we wouldn't be purchasing the home for the price he asked he then tried to guilt trip me into buying the house by justifying the cost and saying that he had already paid the architect for services rendered. Rather than argue with him I cut my losses and paid $2000 for the floor plan. This gave me sole ownership of the floor plan. Sole Ownership!

Well, the house that I designed and paid for is now sitting in the Valley Ranch neighborhood on the lot that I picked out.

HE ACTUALLY BUILT IT. The best part of this whole story is that he sold it for LESS that I was willing to pay for the house on the same lot.

So yeah, I would not recommend using Eagle Ridge Builders.
Ctxaggie
AG
Bucky, if you are not ready to build and just need a designer, there are several architects in this area that can fully design a home from scratch. If you have already have a floor plan in mind based on something you saw online or in a magazine, a drafter may be all you need and will save you money. But understand that drafters usually don't have the creative minds like an architect and they usually can't start from scratch. Drafters usually need something to go by as they draw floor plans and elevations. I used RD Chaplin in Temple on a custom home that I just built, and I was very pleased with his drafting services and fees.
mazzag
AG
Sorry this happened. I've always been suspicious of him and now my suspicions are confirmed. Not just your example but too much time is spent chasing him down for money and his house pads make me raise my eyebrows. There are a lot of good builders in the area and budgets will usually determine who folks use.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.