O'Brien Pub

7,075 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mazzag
Cowboy1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been here 45 minutes and haven't been able to get a drink yet.

They will never be accused of sending people out of this place too drunk to drive.

Remember why it's been years since I've been here.
sandman82
AG
Used to enjoy going there after work for a pint or two. But, got tired of smelling like an ashtray every time I walked out of there. Would rather enjoy my beverage where I don't have to put up with second-hand smoke!
Tube
One of the worst places I've been in that regard.
Captain Pablo
AG
I think they are non-smoking now... at least thats what I heard... could be wrong

I heard a lot of complaints about them last night... cover charge, crowded, poor service

I guess it was just a st. Patrick's problem
Cowboy1990
It is no smoking inside, but they've got a tent set up right outside the door where the smokers all congregate that you have to walk in through.

$10 per person cover.

Hot inside.

Doesn't matter any time I've ever been there, which hasn't been much the last ten years, but it is always had extremely poor service.
mazzag
AG
$10 cover? That's crazy.
aggiece98
AG
quote:
$10 cover? That's crazy.

Not normally, it was for St. Patrick's...

And it is now non-smoking inside.
mazzag
AG
I think o'briens is run by ags? What about scores? Some friends went there last Thursday. Don't know much about ownership of the business.
aggiepaintrain
AG
and how is that your business? sounds like they are making changes for the better.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
and how is that your business? sounds like they are making changes for the better.

Wait wut?
txag7
AG
Scores isn't run by Ags but is run by some great people. Cold beer, hot pizza and wings. It gets pretty good reviews. Especially with the Gin complex having live music on Friday and Saturdays now.
TempleAg97
AG
I used to go to OB's often. Now I only make it once every few months. I don't go as often because I don't like the bands they have now but I still get good service when I go.

St. Patrick's Day at night is an anomaly for service. I was there earlier (4ish) when it was full but not packed and got great service. Also almost always get great table service on a regular night.

As far as the $10, they had ten different musicians that day. In my case, I was leaving to go to OKC to watch the Ags and only had about an hour so they were nice and didn't make us pay!
BMX Bandit
Why did you wait 45 minutes?
Cowboy1990
There with a friend I hadn't seen in six to eight months. He was there chasing tail. Didn't want to be a bad wingman.
The Debt
There is no tail to be had at OBs
agsalaska
AG
Went there for the first time last weekend and saw The Damn Quails. Wife and I had a blast. Will definitely go back. I was worried about the smoke after hearing about it but it's no smoking inside now. Fun place.
TempleAg97
AG
Had a good time at OB's at local talent night with my wife last night. No cover. Good musicians. Quality beer. Price per pint is steep but nothing new and I drink for quality over quantity now so that okay.

Major props to the no smoking. It's actually clear now. Makes it a MUCH more enjoyable experience.
Captain Pablo
AG
I've been several times since the no smoking policy went into effect and its been fine...

Do not care for the Green Door... now that place is smoky
agsalaska
AG
We Ubered there from Belton. When she told as the kitchen was open til 1am or something we knew we were set.

I did walk down to a store about 3 blocks away on MLK and 3rd I think to buy a can of snuff. That was fun.

I am looking forward to going back. We have two real young kids and our babysitter is a MHBU student who left for the summer. BUt we will figure something out.

TempleAg97
AG
Alaska-I've had a steak and other stuff there a few times and it's always been good.

As far as walking to MLK, I wouldn't recommend it. As Chris Rock said "there's some violence going on" and the area around Temple's MLK is no different.
agsalaska
AG
Yea I am a pretty big guy but am getting a little old. I probably wouldn't do that twice. Unless of course I had 3 double whiskeys and no Skoal.
mazzag
AG
I don't like walking from the entrance to my car. Next time buy skoal before you go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.