Elite Cafe closes

4,018 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aust Ag
Demosthenes81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Wacos-landmark-Elite-Cafe-closes-doors-after-nearly-a-century-367683011.html

Wednesday was their last day. I did not see that coming.
Bulldog73
AG
Whoa. Didn't see that coming at all.
EMY92
AG
I didn't eat there frequently, but every time that I did the place had a good crowd.

I was surprised when I saw that story earlier.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Not surprised. We are there several times, every time food was bad and service bad.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Yeah, I think I ate there exactly once just to say I did it. And from memory, that was circa 1990.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Meh . Lived in Waco for 25 years.. have eaten there once.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
I ate there back 55 years ago and it was so nice then. My husband and I moved here in 1978 and our first meal in town was Elite Cafe at lunch time soon after we returned the U-Haul truck. Through the years Elite has suffered greatly being hit or miss with all meals. You would go and think this place is fabulous and the next visit maybe two weeks later you would have sworn they served leftovers from their home fridges! A big physical update in early 80's gave it renewed life but the food or the staff always was hit or miss. In early 90s they started a fajita bar that was almost always excellent and they would cater that to your facility....they should have stayed with that winner, pushed it a little longer and more aggressively.

When the Elite Cafe was bustling 55 years ago so was the Lone Star Motor Court, just around the circle on LaSalle Ave and it's still going, but I don't know how well.

My son took his girlfriend's parents to the Elite Cafe to ask for their blessing when he proposed marriage to her in 2011...if we had had notice of the intent to close the cafe I would have asked about a menu for posterity for him.
Larry S Ross
AG
We ate there a week are so ago for the first time in years and it was horrible. Lived in Waco in 72/73 and ate there regularly and it was great back then.
f2foxes2001
AG
When owned by Sammy Citrano, it prospered. After he sold it, it was over.
Truman2001
AG
New "Fixer Upper" project? Chip and Joanna Gaines, #Magnolia buy historic The Elite restaurant.

http://m.wacotrib.com/news/traffic/magnolia-buys-historic-elite-cafe/article_01396cc6-2557-5fc5-8e5a-778158c4138d.html?mode=jqm
EMY92
AG
They seem to have the Midas touch with projects recently. I would expect lines stretching around the circle once it opens.
80s Guy
quote:
They seem to have the Midas touch with projects recently. I would expect lines stretching around the circle once it opens.
Ain't no way any of us locals will even get a chance to get it for months. The lines will be out the door.

The worst part is my daughter is about to start driving from Chilton to Waco through the circle and now she will have to deal with all those out of towners crowding in for a meal and hope for a peek.
Bulldog73
AG
We always cross over in front of Univeristy High to avoid messing with the circle as is, now it'll be even worse.
EMY92
AG
I don't think they are planning on starting the "renovation" until next year, so there is some time to figure out another route.
80s Guy
Maybe so, but the lookie-lo's driving around the circle to.see it then heading over to Lasalle to buy antiques are still a concern
EMY92
AG
Best bet is to avoid the circle. No one knows what to do, then combined with idiots that don't understand merge and/or yield, it's a great recipe for a wreck. I know several people who have been rear ended on the circle.
BohunkAg
AG
The city of Waco or txdot or whoever will at some point figure out its best option is to get rid of the circle. Especially now. A giant wheel of death isn't worth it just for nostalgias sake
80s Guy
quote:
The city of Waco or txdot or whoever will at some point figure out its best option is to get rid of the circle. Especially now. A giant wheel of death isn't worth it just for nostalgias sake
Had that discussion with the wife last night after watching the feature on the news about it. At one time, I can see how it was nice and unique but now, it is covered in dead grass and looks rather lifeless. She grew up in Chilton and remembers it fondly from her childhood but to me, it's just another pain in the a$$ when driving in Waco.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
It keeps me from going to places on it, I hate circles that much.
agsalaska
AG
That's too bad. I met my mother there to show her the Aggie ring on my finger the day I got it.

I ate there fairly recently for breakfast and thought it was pretty good.
Aust Ag
AG
I come into Waco every few weeks for business. I have to confess, I'm a regular "circle of death(!)" offender. I think I've got it figured out, and sure enough a second later, I've got people honking at me. I'm still working on it.
EMY92
AG
You can't figure it out because few know what the hell they are supposed to be doing.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
It keeps me from going to places on it, I hate circles that much.

Circles are the new fad in traffic control now. Lots of them showing up everywhere.
Aust Ag
AG
quote:
You can't figure it out because few know what the hell they are supposed to be doing.
I also cover B-CS for business, and they've got one at the end of Old College Main that almost got me killed last week.

Rabid, not sure these things are a good idea.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.