Premier ER Plus (where my wife works) opening in Temple

6,474 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 45-70Ag
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1655128971434166

They are opening one across from Baylor hopefully in the early summer and have broken ground in Temple. Not exactly sure where it is in Temple, but hopefully it serves a need in the market there that isn't available.
dodger02
AG
These things confuse me.

I understand the business model: they are staffed and equipped like a hospital-based ER which allows them to bill the crazy ER rates.

But if you're a patient needing life-saving ER care, wouldn't you call 911? They're taking you to the hospital and providing ER care while on the road.

If you're not in a life or death situation - you have a choice: Go to an "urgent care" or walk-in clinic for coughs, colds, etc. or go to the ER. I'm going for the former.

I'm told by well-informed sources that if you're sick enough to get admitted, many hospitals aren't direct-admitting you from a private freestanding non-hospital affiliated ER. You're eventually going to wind up in their (the hospital's) ER and get all the same tests duplicated prior to your admission.

Why go through that?
Tube
Very recently I needed stitches....at 8:45 pm. I got back home at 3:00 am. I would very much prefer a stand alone er in those situations.

I've heard they only need around 15 patients a day to be profitable.
BohunkAg
AG
1) Premier has an urgent care as well. It's separate and they bill urgent care rates. They try to work hard to make sure people get the right level of care.

2) They have deals with the hospitals to direct admit precisely so you don't have the situation you speak of, where you go through the same levels of tests in both ERs. That would be silly. So yes, they can direct admit to the hospital.

I'm obviously biased, whoever told you about them not being able to direct admit is grossly misinformed. That was one of the big things they had to get straightened out before they opened. Hospitals make their big money off big procedures like surgeries and inpatient stuff, so they were somewhat willing to work with the freestandings, especially since they contract with the hospitals for other services, like radiology for example.

It's sort of a mutually beneficial deal, believe it or not. It seems to be going OK.
BohunkAg
AG
Also, if you are going to an urgent care, you are likely to see a physician's assistant or a nurse practitioner. One benefit Premier has is that there is always a doctor on site if you were to need one.....
Matsui
AG
What's the difference between stand alone urgent care and stand alone emergency room?
The Grinder (99)
AG
I'm pretty sure the location is on west Adams; specifically on the West bank of pepper creek
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
What's the difference between stand alone urgent care and stand alone emergency room?
Stand Alone ER is a higher level of care. Full workups, doctor, etc....for major stuff. Urgent care is for minor stuff like stitches, flu, stuff like that. Where you can't get into you regular doctor but you need medical care. As such, you get charged lower prices.
Terry Hathaway
Temple location is on Adams next to the new Freddy's
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I have scott and white health plan teacher insurance. Why would I go to an non sand w facility if my copay is low as long as it is scott and white.

If I can drive, I am not calling an ambulance. I recently went to urgent care at Belton because I knew If I went to the sand w emergency they would probably have admitted me at my age with severe pneumonia and I did not have the time or money to go into the hospital.

Even when I broke my hip, I called my sis in law for a ride and managed to hop to the car because I don't want the expense of a copay for the ambulance.

So what is the cost advantage of the free standing.

I have dial a doc because it saves me money. I will be right next to the free standing one under construction, but I simply don't understand what the advantage is?
BohunkAg
AG
I don't know enough to answer 3GA, except that you get to see good, experienced docs, as they've picked and chosen from the best docs, in the urgent care there is not always a doc available. They give you choices and treat you professionally, and not like a number like they do in the ER.

Again, I'm obviously biased, but the one they have in Woodway has been a resounding success. They have very loyal customers and good word of mouth.

Health care is obviously a very personal choice, and this is just another choice out there...which (I think) is a good thing. Sounds like you had a good experience with the urgent care...heck, that's where we always urged people to go with minor injuries even when my wife worked in the Providence ER.
JAW3336
AG
Apparently a stand alone ER is opening in the new unopened walgreens building on central and 31st in Temple.
aggieduke
AG
We use the one in Woodway and love it.

Only place we go with our 3 kids.
BohunkAg
AG
An article on the new one in Waco in case anyone is interested.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/premier-er-plus-working-to-open-nd-greater-waco-location/article_4f38a83b-132a-5d05-be22-3ec2eb3ba9ec.html
c-jags
Just found out one of my friends is going to be there. I knew he was opening a clinic but their are 3 new ones popping up in the same road this year.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Bohunk-- if you could shoot me an email

My company is looking to change contract for our cleaning service for our facility. We are needing to find a service more attuned to the needs of medical facilities and I am curious who your wife's locations utilize.

Thanks
tylerd06
Hey Bohunk. My Dad lives in Temple and would really like to work at Premier ER. He is a former HS coach and looking for some part time work. Do you know if they are still hiring for front desk positions and who he could get in contact with? Thanks.
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
Hey Bohunk. My Dad lives in Temple and would really like to work at Premier ER. He is a former HS coach and looking for some part time work. Do you know if they are still hiring for front desk positions and who he could get in contact with? Thanks.
I don't know who is doing the hiring. I guess they are going through a firm. Here are their openings here it looks like:

http://www.premier.care/careers-1
3rd Generation Ag
AG

I can walk to the Temple location. It is that close. Do they take the Scott and White insurance with the same copay as going to the Scott and White emergency? If they do they will be really busy since many in Temple have some form of that insurance. If they don't, or if you have to pay in full up front and then submit for your money back, I think it will really hurt their business.

d0
jt2hunt
AG
They will do great!
tylerd06
Thanks bohunk. I'll look into it
45-70Ag
AG
Dr. Zeka (spelling) at the Waco location on 84 saved my daughters life.

What we thought was a routine stomach bug was an E. Coli infection that led to HUS and a 34 day stay at McLanes in temple.

Forever indebted to him.
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
Dr. Zeka (spelling) at the Waco location on 84 saved my daughters life.

What we thought was a routine stomach bug was an E. Coli infection that led to HUS and a 34 day stay at McLanes in temple.

Forever indebted to him.
Zecca. Guido is a great guy! Very nice. I will pass that along to him if you don't mind.
45-70Ag
AG
Don't mind at all
bigtruckguy3500
Would you happen to know what clued him in to the diagnosis, or did he pick it up after blood work?
45-70Ag
AG
That was a whirlwind month

We were there on a Saturday, the day before Easter and she was having some fairly severe symptoms related to the E. Coli infection. During that initial visit they took a culture and from what I remember he just had E. Coli checked which if I remember correctly isn't a normal request............I could be wrong in that recollection.

Saturday night her symptoms subsided and we were sent home. Woke up Sunday and the symptoms were back and so went back to premier where we spent about five hrs before being admitted to providence by my daughters pediatrician. (Not a fan of providence).

We were at providence until Tuesday when we got confirmation from the culture that she had an E. Coli infection from strain 0157 h7.

She was immediately taken to McLanes where we discovered she had Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome and that began a 30 day fight for her life. 11 days in the picu at McLanes followed by 14 days on a regular floor.

Came home and she was back at the hospital three days later with C. Diff. That began another week in the hospital.

She's a trooper and I'm amazed at the age of three what she was able to deal with. Today you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her she was ill.

We were told be the doctors at McLanes that Dr. Zecca saved her life.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.