folks in the Buchanan and Travis watersheds

25,474 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jimscott85
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talk to us. It's been a long time since there's been substantial rain over your way.
Captain Pablo
AG
Buchanan
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ewx&gage=budt2

Travis
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ewx&gage=msdt2&prob_type=stage
petey88

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think LT will ever recover. Saw a report a year or two ago that it would have to rain heavily some 25 days straight. I think it was a prediction from a LCRA Rep.

waterdatafortexas.org - lists lake levels

YouTube has some LCRA videos of helicopter flights over Travis. It is shocking to see what is now.
coupland boy
AG
It'll eventually recover. The terrible drought in the 50's was busted by one significant event and the elevation rose about 40 feet within the span of a month.

The watershed for that lake is very large and some measure of normal rainfall will surprise. The LCRA will need to manage the water differently when it is full though..
petey88

Perhaps, or perhaps not. I have seen LT rise 25 feet in one night. As you know, the Highland Lakes chain has 5 constant level lakes, and 2 that are not. LCRA has amended the amount of water released down the Colorado to the rice farmers along the coast.

But, no one can change the population explosion in Austin.
Captain Pablo
AG
Buchanan will not benefit much from the last round of storms. Numbers upstream on the San Saba R. and Colorado R. guages reflect only slightly elevated tributaries.

Travis has come up a little

The good news is Lake Belton is up a couple of feet since March and is about to rise even more. The second of two flood events at Hamilton is headed downstream right now
coupland boy
AG
I was expecting to see more upward movement.
Captain Pablo
AG
Highland lakes are snake bit

lakes out in the Permian basin are up, as are lakes in north central Texas. And while Belton wont fill up from the last rains, it just got a big boost

But the San Saba and Pedernales can't seem to catch a break

BohunkAg
AG
The Brazos lakes (Possum Kingdom, Granbury, and Whitney) are finally filling up.

The ones out west near San Angelo are historically low too though. Next few weeks will be interesting.

But Whitney is releasing water down the Brazos for the first time in at least five years or so.
Astrobo
AG
Marble Falls rain bomb in 2007. Like 12 plus inches overnight. Travis went up like 45 feet in a matter of days. Rain in the right spot and it can recover quickly.
petey88

http://kxan.com/2015/05/14/experts-recent-rains-end-worst-of-years-old-texas-drought/

http://kxan.com/2015/05/13/highland-lakes-benefit-from-rain-but-not-enough-to-bust-drought/
coupland boy
AG
Weekend looks promising.
Captain Pablo
AG
Pedernales and San Saba basins about to get soaked

keep your fingers crossed
petey88

a start

Really hope it does, especially for my friends and ex-neighbors out there.

At the time I lived there, it was a helluva ride,.. work like hell all spring and during the summer. Take the Fall and Winter off.

October was my most favorite time year. Water temp was still up, the townies and tourists quit coming, money in the bank. Sailing out there on the Catalina was very cool.
petey88

LT up 4 feet in 4 hours

http://www.golaketravis.com/waterlevel/
Captain Pablo
AG
Travis is up 10 feet since Tuesday, 6 feet since yesterday morning, and is rising

Poor Buchanan can't catch a break. Almost no change
mazzag
AG
The blanco river surged 33 ft in 3 hours. My brother just left to see if he can save his camper in luling. I don't like flooding. I really want it to stop raining.
petey88

Nolan Creek getting close to the parking lots of the businesses. Ducks walking around on the asphalt everywhere.

The tall Burger King sign on I-35 got knocked down.
mazzag
AG
I saw the Burger King sign yesterday, but at the time it was just leaning over. That was crazy. I have not been in town yet but my wet weather creek is empty. Makes no sense.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
The blanco river surged 33 ft in 3 hours. My brother just left to see if he can save his camper in luling. I don't like flooding. I really want it to stop raining.

Yeah, incredible flooding last night on the Blanco

And I'm with ya. That's enough rain for now. Lake Belton will be close to normal later this week, if not above. Too late for spring fishing, but just in time for summer recreation.

Travis will be 20 feet above March levels before it's all said and done. Still low, but a dramatic improvement over what it's been the last several years

Buchanan can't get a break, but oh well. Maybe next time
petey88

saw reports from Wimberly of people on their roofs, Blanco was 40 feet over flood stage, higher than in 1929
mazzag
AG

Nolan Creek. Maybe that's as high as it will get.
Houston Lee
AG
My 90 year old Aunt and her family were in wimberley celebrating her birthday with my 83 yr old Mom.

The group was staying in some bed and breakfast places and had to be rescued at 1 am this morning and evacuated to the high school. 911 wasn't working and my brother in Houston had to call the county sheriff to get ahold of the fire dept dispatch.

They got all the elderly out via ambulance about 4 hours later.
petey88
quote:

Nolan Creek. Maybe that's as high as it will get.
that's where it was about 7 am, did you feed the ducks ?
mazzag
AG
Um no. That's from Facebook.
Captain Pablo
AG
There's enough water flowing that I think you just might be able to get a kayak over the rocks, concrete, and rebar at 2d Avenue now
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
There's enough water flowing that I think you just might be able to get a kayak over the rocks, concrete, and rebar at 2d Avenue now

Yeeeeeehaw!
3rd Generation Ag
AG
What towns would need rain in order to help buchanan?
coupland boy
AG
quote:

Looks as if it's raining on a populated town it ain't helping Buchanan. Serious answer is the Colorado and San Saba river basins are the major contributors.

http://maps.lcra.org/default.aspx?MapType=Watershed%20Maps
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

Needs to FLOOD in the yellow shaded area

Captain Pablo
AG
Captain Pablo
AG

Captain Pablo
AG
Bigger picture --
Rain needs to FLOOD tributaries in the shaded area that are BOTH ABOVE Buchanan dam, AND also BELOW any other dam to directly affect Buchanan

3rd Generation Ag
AG
So Brady, Menard, and San Saba. Now a large watershed and in a fairly arid area.
Captain Pablo
AG
BTW, Belton is now about 3 feet below conservation pool level, and rising

Should be in great shape for the summer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.