Oil Dirt....Kilgore (or other places in East Texas)

10,922 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BMach
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad in Mt. Pleasant used to buy oil dirt from a company in Kilgore, but he can't reach them anymore and assumes they're shut down.

Does anyone know of a company/business that sells oil dirt in NE Texas? Kilgore is an hour away from MP so if he's willing to go that far, I'm guessing that's a decent radius. So.....Tyler, Kilgore, Henderson, Carthage, Longview, Marshall, etc.

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Physical Graffiti
AG
I am getting a few names for you in Tyler and Kilgore. My dad has an oil/gas business and knows the location of the companies but not the names off the top of his head. He is going to get them and I'll post them here.
Stive
AG
Thanks.
Physical Graffiti
AG
While I'm waiting for him to get back to me... my dad did say there was a place on Old Jacksonville in Tyler between Rice Rd and Crow Rd on the West side that sells Oil Dirt.

When I get that name and the other's that his partner (Who is in Alaska and not checking e-mails until tonight) knows from Kilgore, I will post them here.
Stive
AG
quote:
While I'm waiting for him to get back to me... my dad did say there was a place on Old Jacksonville in Tyler between Rice Rd and Crow Rd on the West side that sells Oil Dirt.

When I get that name and the other's that his partner (Who is in Alaska and not checking e-mails until tonight) knows from Kilgore, I will post them here.
Good deal....thanks. I'll ask some friends of mine in Tyler if they know the name of it.
Josepi
AG
I'll go ahead and be the D. A. who puts his hand up.

What's oil dirt?

A Google Image search brings up a nude painting. I'm assuming your dad isn't into collecting nudes is he?
Stive
AG
quote:
I'll go ahead and be the D. A. who puts his hand up.

What's oil dirt?

A Google Image search brings up a nude painting. I'm assuming your dad isn't into collecting nudes is he?

Not that I'm aware of!!!!

Oil dirt is sand and oil mixed together and is one of the most common road toppings used in east Texas. Most of the time you're driving on a "black top" country road, it was made out of oil dirt, that was grated, spread, and then rolled and compacted down. When it sets up, it hardens up and you have a county road.

Dad uses it for 3/4 mile of driveway laid over an iron-ore base since it doesn't get as dusty as iron-ore by itself.
Josepi
AG
Interesting. I wonder of that's an East Texas thing, as I've never heard of it before. Growing up in South Texas, once you turned off the black top, pretty much every back road was coliche. If it hadn't rained in a while, the dust was awful. You could see another vehicle coming a mile away from the dust trail.
Stive
AG
Yeah it's a lot more popular here. Someone told me one time why, and I think it had something to do with the fact that there is a lot of oil up here that's got a different viscosity that makes it harder to refine. So since there's a lot of that (cheap) that can't be used for much, they put it on the roads.
Stive
AG
Any word?
TreeFarmer
AG
We moved to Mineola last year, and it turns out that 2 of my 3 barns have oil dirt on the ground as the floor (in place of plain old dirt, blacktop or concrete). I had never heard of it before either, but would be interested in learning where to get some as one of the barns needs repairs.
Aggie-Stuck-at-SFA
Dad works is the Welsh power plant over in Cason. I think they sell leftover coal ash as concrete to people to built roads in their land. I'll ask him tomorrow and let you know for sure.
BMach
AG
Also known as oil sand
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.