Wedding in Tyler

2,557 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by JABQ04
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
headed to Tyler for a wedding this weekend. Anything good? Bars? Never been and looking for stuff to do afterwards.
buy_dont_lease
AG
Not a ton in the way of bars (worth going to) here. Rose City Drafthouse is a new joint on Broadway that has ~55 beers on tap. Juls on Old Jacksonville has a smaller but still solid beer selection and some interesting cocktails. Lago Del Pino is a little outside of town, and you'd be going them more for the views and drinking on the patio than anything else. Republic Icehouse on University is the best sports bar, but it's just a regular bar, no fancy beer selection.

For food, Stanley's BBQ will probably be where most everyone agrees you need to visit while you're here. Ribs and sandwiches are their strength. The Mother Clucker is probably the most unique offering, it's worth a try.

There are other good places to eat that aren't chains, but they're specific to what you're looking for. For burgers, the old standard is Jucy's, and the new kid on the block is Burger Grind. I prefer Burger Grind, but both are good. Lola's sandwiches in Flint is outstanding, but it's basically just a gourmet sandwich joint. Happy's Fish House is good for fried seafood. Newk's is a chain, but it's a good soup/salad/sandwich place. Juls and Cork both do good Sunday brunches.

I'll let others chime in, but that should get you through the weekend.
Stive
AG
After the wedding? So assuming it's a night wedding, you're going to be limited to the reception, Juls, Rick's (down town on the square) and the first few listings that buy_don't_lease put up there.

There's not much of a "late night bar scene" in Tyler.

If you're in town for lunch early enough hit Stanley's for a place that's on most peoples BBQ list of places to try; the Mother Clucker, ribs and sandwiches are your best bet. Don't try their brisket and compare it to the central Texas BBQ powerhouses....they're not there yet. But get there early (11 or 11:30), I'm not sure if it's still the case, but they used to always sell out at lunch on Saturdays by about 1:30.

Enjoy the trip!

JABQ04
AG
Thanks. Getting in tonight (from Houston). Wedding is early afternoon of I'm not mistaken. So evening should be free. Look forward to looking into some of these places.
Stive
AG
quote:
Thanks. Getting in tonight (from Houston). Wedding is early afternoon of I'm not mistaken. So evening should be free. Look forward to looking into some of these places.

I hope it is not outside!!!
JABQ04
AG
quote:
quote:

I hope it is not outside!!!

Me too. Totally serious. I really can't remember. Have to wear a suit since I'm an usher. Free beer though afterwards so I got that going for me.
Stive
AG
What'd you end up doing while you were here?
JABQ04
AG
quote:
What'd you end up doing while you were here?

Really not too much. Hing out Friday and drank beer then wedding and reception Saturday. After 6 hours of free beer I went to bed at 10:30 pm. Then woke up Sunday and ate at a really nice diner ( can't remember the name) and head back home. All in all I liked Tyler. Need to come back with the wife at some point. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hope to try some of them one day.
Stive
AG
Alright guys....let's figure out where he had breakfast...

In what hotel were you staying? Any major intersections nearby? Have to drive far for breakfast?

I'm guessing The Diner, or Egg and I.
buy_dont_lease
AG
Gotta be the Diner.
JABQ04
AG
WE stayed at a courtyard Marriot on Broadway. The diner was just down the road a bit. Not very far. There was a gym or some crossfire place behind it. Odd enough when we left breakfast a helicopter was in the parking lot picking up someone for the hospital?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.