Torchys to Old EL Chico

13,896 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Dro07
Owlagdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Across from Lee in Tyler. Opens this fall, unless they get some "other creative notion". Ought to make a go of that place after several failures.

3 new Walmarts for Tyler. About time the gentlemen's agreement between Brookshires and HEB ends.

Brookshires opened a Super One across from HEB in Corsicana. So Tyler ought to be a stop in between Corsicana and Carthage stores.
AGC
AG
Thanks for the info.
buy_dont_lease
AG
quote:
Across from Lee in Tyler. Opens this fall, unless they get some "other creative notion". Ought to make a go of that place after several failures.

3 new Walmarts for Tyler. About time the gentlemen's agreement between Brookshires and HEB ends.

Brookshires opened a Super One across from HEB in Corsicana. So Tyler ought to be a stop in between Corsicana and Carthage stores.
Location on the Walmarts? Are we talking superstores, or their neighborhood grocery concepts?

Great to hear about Torchey's, my boss told me the same thing over lunch today.

Thanks for the info.
Owlagdad
2 neighborhoods and one super store. One on old Jacksonville and Grande - in front of Palomar apts, one up 155 by Earl Campbell and one on loop and 5th- I think in those woods before old Swanns- I think that is the super store
Stive
AG
I thought the one on the east loop is at the loop and 31.
Dro07
AG
It is
Owlagdad
You guys are right. I read read map incorrectly. I had always thought it was on that corner, because it was being referred as "Chapel Hill" Walmart and plans were not going through until beer election passed.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I wish the HEB in Carthage was a good one. It's pretty rough.

However us Marshall folks are glad Shreveport is getting a Whole Foods.
Post removed:
by user
Dro07
AG
speaking of whole foods... any of you guys go to that store where Bed Bath and Beyond used to be? Natures or something like that?
buy_dont_lease
AG
Natural Grocers is what it's called. I've not been to this one, but I've been to others. They have great produce and a good selection of specialty foods. Also tons of vitamins and supplements and natural health and beauty products. A bit pricey, but if it's conveniently located to your house you should check it out.

Apparently Aldi is going in on Loop 323 across the street from the Super 1 and Wal-Mart. Never shopped there, but it's interesting to see some competition in grocery stores here.
easttexasaggie04
AG
At least Whole Foods usually has good produce and a good butcher. That's pretty much all that matters to me. Shreveport is closer to me than Tyler.
paula90
I am so excited about Aldi's coming to Tyler. When Longview's store was announced in April, I was hoping that Tyler was next. I have been going to the Rockwall Aldi about every 6 weeks since we moved the Tyler. I still saved money after I included the gas money to Rockwall. Aldi prices are as good as or better than Walmart.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Driving to Rockwall for a grocery store?
Stive
AG
Yeah, call me confused.

If they're "as good as WalMart", why not just, I don't know, go to WalMart?
AggieGunslinger
AG
I went in one a long time ago, you pay for bags, have to put a quarter in a machine to get a cart, you get it back when you return the cart and the limited name brand stuff wasn't any cheaper than Walmart. Maybe I am wrong on the last part.
Owlagdad
Fish Daddy's and Zoe's kitchen to Cumberland. Zoe's has the sign up up already.
Stive
AG
Where at? Cumberland and Grande?
Josepi
AG
Cumberland Park. The new giant shopping center
Stive
AG
Silly me. When I read Cumberland, I was picturing Copeland and was trying to figure out where on Copeland 2 restaurants would go in....all I could come up with was that new place going in where it dead ends into Grande.

Now it makes sense.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Any of you folks going to be coming out to the swim center Saturday to visit with the Yell Leaders.
Josepi
AG
Didn't even know about it. When is it?
AGC
AG
Just started a thread about it. This Saturday from 5-7.
Stive
AG
On that note, what percentage full is Cumberland sitting at right now? Are they 75% leased up? More?

What other big names are expected there that aren't there yet?
Dro07
AG
quote:
That place had so much potential
buy_dont_lease
AG
quote:
On that note, what percentage full is Cumberland sitting at right now? Are they 75% leased up? More?

What other big names are expected there that aren't there yet?
http://thevillageatcumberlandpark.com/Directory.aspx

Looks like about 70-75% full.
AggieGunslinger
AG
quote:
quote:
That place had so much potential

How has it come up short?
Dro07
AG
for one they completely slashed all the trees down when civil actually did a great job of keeping a lot of the natural landscape. Would have made for a lot of unique areas for shopping and hanging out with possible terraced outdoor patio spaces for restaurants. Now its all flat with crappy "ornamental" trees.

Two it was suppose to be a confined outdoor shopping center with parking in the perimeter so to have a more of a enclosed shopping experience like La Cantera in San Antonio. Avenues with outdoor dinning on the streetscapes where people could walk around and hang out. Think outdoor shopping malls instead we have something that reminds me of outlet stores. There is more but you get the idea... so much potential to bring people and actually make it a destination.
AggieGunslinger
AG
gotcha, I agree with you on all those points.
Stive
AG
When they started slashing the property I asked a friend of mine why they insisted on cutting down every tree (there were some giant, gorgeous old trees out there). He said it's easier/cheaper for them to throw up the construction without the trees and they can always plant trees later.

That conversation was sad to me.
Josepi
AG
quote:
When they started slashing the property I asked a friend of mine why they insisted on cutting down every tree (there were some giant, gorgeous old trees out there). He said it's easier/cheaper for them to throw up the construction without the trees and they can always plant trees later.

That conversation was sad to me.
Yep. Cheaper/Easier is rarely the best way to do something.

On a side note, as a man, other than the restaurants, I would have very little need to ever go to that shopping center. 90% of the businesses there are directly marketed towards women.
Dro07
AG
I am far from a Tree hugger but that sight made me sick.
Dro07
AG
they need a good sports bar down there so you can go while your significant other is shopping. Yard House would be a great addition
tx.agg.96
AG
quote:
they need a good sports bar down there so you can go while your significant other is shopping. Yard House would be a great addition
Josepi
AG
quote:
Rotolos (or however you spell it) actually has a pretty great beer selection, and good TV set-up. It's obviously not a designated sports bar, but it would be a good place to kill an hour or two.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.