Beers in Tyler

7,991 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Stive
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where should I go to grab a beer when I'm in town? No high falutin bars, just something casual with cheap beer.

I'll be there for work 1-2 nights per week.
Post removed:
by user
cledus6150
AG
Chuys has cheap lone star during happy hour, other than that everything in this town blows for drink prices.
Stive
AG
quote:
Chuys has cheap lone star during happy hour, other than that everything in this town blows for drink prices.

I moved out here from Dallas. If you're whining about drink prices in Tyler, you haven't been out of East Texas in a long time.

Go to Stanley's, sit on the porch, get a beer at the outside bar, and listen to some live music.

Nothing high faluting about Stanley's.
OregonAggie
AG
What nights do they have live music? What other places in Tyler have live music? I'll be out there Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday nights.

I wanted to try their BBQ anyway!
cledus6150
AG
I have been to stanleys a few times, had no positive experience any of the times I went. I am counting down the days till I can leave Tyler and head back to Houston.
Stive
AG
No positive experiences how? With the food? The beer? The atmosphere?

I honestly didn't know that was possible.

I've met people that, for example, like Country Taverns ribs better than Stanley's, or would rather have this from here or that from there....but I've never spoken to anyone that didn't have a good experience there.
Stive
AG
I'll text Josepi and have him weigh in, he'll know.

I think it's pretty often but I've got four kids and the chances I get to go eat out where I want to go on a week night are about once a year.

Regarding eating there, make sure you get there at a (kind of) early hour. I think they're open to 9-10 on a weeknight but I've been by around 8 before wanting to grab a sandwich on the way home and they've been completely out of meat. The way Nick sees it, he'd rather tell people that at 8 than have 2 briskets and a pile of pork left over at 9:30 to throw away.

So what kind of work brings you to town?
OregonAggie
AG
I'd rather go to a place that runs out. You know it's always fresh.

As far as work, I'm in pharmaceuticals. I cover from East Dallas to Texarkana and Lufkin.
Stive
AG
Big territory.

What specialty are you calling on and what's your drug?
Post removed:
by user
cledus6150
AG
Damn right never liked East Texas and never wanted to live here, but you have to go where your job wants you to.
Stive
AG
If you wanted/want out that bad you can always change jobs. It's not like Houston hasn't been one of the hottest job markets in the country over the past decade.

I've discovered that a place is usually as fun/welcoming as you allow/want it to be. We weren't from Tyler, moved here 5 years ago, and have absolutely loved it. We got involved, tried new things, and have had a blast.

My brother in law grew up in Arlington, and wound up in Mt Pleasant Texas about 10 years ago. He got involved, met a bunch of new people, gave back to the community in lots of ways, and now loves his small town life.
OregonAggie
AG
I can't post product names but it's 2 testosterone products and a product for Peyronies disease. Look that up if you want some NSFW photos. I mainly call on urology and endocrinology, but I also call on IM/Family practice.

Very large territory but I used to have the whole state of Oregon so I'm pretty happy with it!

I'm pretty excited about the area and also the BBQ. I've heard great things about Stanley's from numerous sources.
Stive
AG
The IM/Family practice docs can be brutal in Tyler. If you need any help on when/how they'll see reps, hit me up. My wife has been calling on this area for quite a while with good/great success. She doesn't call on Endo/Urology but she knows all of the IM/Family folks. She probably knows folks calling on Endo/Uro too though if you need insight there.

She worked pharma in DFW before we moved out here and in 10 years of doing it, she's convinced Tyler docs are the worst....she has a theory why that I can share with you later if you'd like.

Good luck!

And there's a pretty wide spread crew of us in here (quite a few different towns represented). We can probably hook you up with decent food/catering options in just about every corner of this area if needed. Just let us know!
Josepi
AG
Stanley's has live music every night of the week except Saturday, and it's closed on Sunday.

Tuesday is open mic night, and it's also kids night, so there are usually 10-12 kids running around the patio if that bothers you. On Fridays, they typically bring in a decent Austin band, and they charge cover. Friday nights get packed around 10. There's no cover any other night.

And as far as someone who doesn't like Stanley's and can't wait to get back to Houston? We probably wouldn't be friends.
Josepi
AG
Also, I don't know about the atmosphere for drinking, but that new pizza place in the new giant shopping center on the south side has a really good beer selection. It would be a good place to watch a game as the TV situation is also good.
Stive
AG
I knew Josepi would come through on this.

I also thought his opinion of the Stanley's hater might show up as well.
Dro07
AG
New craft beer place called Rose City. Haven't been yet so I can't tell ya how it a. They have about 50beers on tap I think. Stanley's is a must and like someone said above, if you don't make a friend while ur there then you are probably an ass.

Do not go to Lago too expensive but scenic. Icehouse isn't worth it IHMO
Josepi
AG
quote:
I knew Josepi would come through on this.

I also thought his opinion of the Stanley's hater might show up as well.

I know people who don't like Tyler, but even those people like Stanley's. I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't like Stanley's. Especially this time of year, how could you not like sitting on that porch?

Nick has plans to expand the place too. Once the lease on the shoe repair and the tax prep places run out, I would expect to see Stanley's take up that whole corner.

On a side note, everyone knows the Mother Clucker and the Brother in law are ridiculously good, but if you haven't tried the beef fajita torta, your missing out. It's my new go to.

Also, in a month or so, they will be making Texas Summer beers again. It's a Shiner Ruby Red bird beer, vodka, and lemonade mixed together. Really good on a hot summer night on the patio.
OregonAggie
AG
Good BBQ? Live music every night and kids running around?

You said cold beer?

Well sounds like my kind of place.

I'll definitely check out Rose City as well
Stive
AG
What's the new little local brewery over on Vine? True Vine? Something like that?
Stive
AG
Yeah Cledus is definitely going to be the odd man out around here with his mindset.

I'm not going to scream that Stanley's is the best in the world or even the best in Texas. I've only been to a couple of the legend places and they all have their strengths . Stanley's sandwiches and ribs are top flight....ridiculous good (but that's one mans opinion) . Their atmosphere is great as well. The brisket is just ok to me, their turkey is awesome.

But for someone to roll through and claim they've never had a good experience there? Seriously? The dude was probably pissed they didn't have a drive through and Golden Arches.

That or I'm being trolled.
Dro07
AG
quote:
What's the new little local brewery over on Vine? True Vine? Something like that?
It's true vine and they open up every last Saturday of the month for a open house. They have like 4 of their reg beers on tap and also like 6 experimental beers. Usually a has food by curbside tacos/ Stanley's and places like that. They have music as well. You can buy tickets in advance I want to say $10 or at the door $15 and it comes with 3-4 beers. First 100-200 people get souvenir mugs. We have been going for everyone of them since our first time for Octoberfest. Recommend it to anyone that likes craft beers. They did some expansions so I don't know if there will be one next weekend.
Josepi
AG
quote:
It's True Vine, and I think a few places around town carry them. I've had it a few times, and it's alright. I'm glad Tyler finally has a micro-brew, but I still think East Texas is ripe for the picking for a solid micro brew who knows what they are doing, and more importantly has a good marketing plan. I'm always trying to think up new beer names for an a East Texas brewery...Rose City Red....Lobo lager...etc...
buy_dont_lease
AG
quote:
Also, I don't know about the atmosphere for drinking, but that new pizza place in the new giant shopping center on the south side has a really good beer selection. It would be a good place to watch a game as the TV situation is also good.
That would be Rotolo's. I haven't had pizza there, ironically, but the calzones and sandwiches were just OK. However the beer selection is really impressive, and there are numerous TVs with sports going. I'll give it another shot with the food, but I'd probably go back again anyway just for the beer selection.
buy_dont_lease
AG
quote:
quote:
....but I still think East Texas is ripe for the picking for a solid micro brew who knows what they are doing, and more importantly has a good marketing plan.
Agree their marketing plan is a bit... odd. Maybe they thought they had to go the super Christian route in order to keep the Green Acres folks from running them out of town?

As for best micro brew in the area, I know it's not Tyler, but Cedar Creek Brewery takes the prize (not that there's much competition). There is definitley room for another entry in microbrew market here, I hope someone gets on that.
AGC
AG
quote:
quote:
It's true vine and they open up every last Saturday of the month for a open house. They have like 4 of their reg beers on tap and also like 6 experimental beers. Usually a has food by curbside tacos/ Stanley's and places like that. They have music as well. You can buy tickets in advance I want to say $10 or at the door $15 and it comes with 3-4 beers. First 100-200 people get souvenir mugs. We have been going for everyone of them since our first time for Octoberfest. Recommend it to anyone that likes craft beers. They did some expansions so I don't know if there will be one next weekend.

They're open from 5-8 on the 25th (were kept closed last month by the city). They'll have Rotolo's for grub. I'll be there with my wife and family socializing if anyone else makes it out. A few ags volunteer and serve too, so look for rings.

Stanley's is great for food, music and drinks. They screwed up a to-go order of ours and I ate free just by mentioning the screwed up order. Never had a problem there (and I fall into the 'hate tyler' category, the people are really the only reason worth staying IMO).

I've heard good things about rose city draft house (behind racket and jog) but haven't been there myself yet. We're moving back into town in a few weeks and will be heading out a lot more.
Post removed:
by user
Dro07
AG
quote:
I make better beer than any tyler brewery...

when should we expect you to start selling it?
Stive
AG
Why wouldn't the city of Tyler let them open their doors last month? Any one have a clue?

Dro07
AG
They were expanding from what i had heard and ran into some code issues i think. Might be more to it but thats what i heard.
AGC
AG
quote:
They were expanding from what i had heard and ran into some code issues i think. Might be more to it but thats what i heard.

Probably just that but they weren't specific when venting, just blamed the city for open taps not happening.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I had a sample of True Vine at the Taste of Tyler the other night. Their Rose City IPA was one of the best beers I have had in a long time.
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.