I was in Longview this last weekend...

4,287 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aggieforester05
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First time since 2012 and man does Pine Tree area look run down. Demographics have changed considerably. There is a Mexican grocery store at Loop 281 and Gilmer in the old Tom Thumb / Skaggs. That was kind of shocking to see. Has Whitey completely vacated PT?
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
Gotta be better than previous tenants. That Skaggs always stunk.
ag2dabone
I agree with Brewer. I shop there fairly often.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
First time since 2012 and man does Pine Tree area look run down. Demographics have changed considerably. There is a Mexican grocery store at Loop 281 and Gilmer in the old Tom Thumb / Skaggs. That was kind of shocking to see. Has Whitey completely vacated PT?

Yes. The demographic has changed quite a bit. Pine Tree is considered a title 1 low income school now, k-12. It was only k-8 when I was there but trickling up.

And add me to the camo that thinks that mercado is awesome.
aggieforester05
AG
I live in Pine Tree and sure there is some rough neighborhoods, but there is a lot of nice neighborhoods too. The mercado is great and the meat market kicks the whitey grocery stores asses.
ccrdag
S
WOW, things must have really changed since I left in 1986. When I was in HS 82-86 PT was considered the Rich School in Longview...........
Reginald Cousins
S
LOL
YouBet
AG
quote:
WOW, things must have really changed since I left in 1986. When I was in HS 82-86 PT was considered the Rich School in Longview...........
If we are honest, we were never the rich school in Longview. The elite core of white kids that actually attended Longview High School were the rich kids and, thus, rich school in longview. Those of us that went to PT were by and far middle class. Longview was unique in that you had a small core of rich white kids surrounded by poor black kids.

P.S.: interesting spell check note with iOS....I typed something and it auto corrected for "poor black". But that's a different topic....
Reginald Cousins
S
thatsracist.gif?
AggieGunslinger
AG
What year were you, youbet?
YouBet
AG
quote:
What year were you, youbet?
aggieforester05
AG
quote:
If we are honest, we were never the rich school in Longview. The elite core of white kids that actually attended Longview High School were the rich kids and, thus, rich school in longview. Those of us that went to PT were by and far middle class. Longview was unique in that you had a small core of rich white kids surrounded by poor black kids.

P.S.: interesting spell check note with iOS....I typed something and it auto corrected for "poor black". But that's a different topic....
I can attest to this, I spent four years at Longview High. I went to Trinity for late elementary and middle school, so Longview High was quiet a culture shock. It really wasn't that bad though. I also worked as a pharmacy delivery guy on the south side of Longview. Those two experiences gave me a lot of insight into the way things are on the "other side of the tracks". Then going to A&M after Longview HIgh was another culture shock, but a much much better experience.
JCOnTheMic
AG
"Pharmacy delivery guy", huh? Walter White may have a job for you then. We called that "carrying" in Gladewater when I grew up.
aggieforester05
AG
It was for an actual pharmacy, but there really isn't much difference is there. Everybody loved me, I brought them their government drugs on the 1st of the month. Wasn't uncommon for them to be doing "other" drugs when they answered the door.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.