Villa Montez

5,320 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Stive
ag2dabone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone been to this restaurant in Tyler? Thoughts or recommendations appreciated.
Josepi
AG
It's my favorite restaurant in town. It's definitely not Tex-Mex, so if you are looking for greasy cheese enchiladas, you wont find it here.

Like the atmosphere. It's set in an old house, and typically the service is very good.

Their drinks are fantastic, but can be kind of pricey. My wife always gets mojitos. I ordered an Old Fashioned last time and it was $9 or $10 which surprised me. It was good. The bartenders definitely know what they are doing, but maybe it's because I have been out of the "big city" for so long that a $10 drink surprised me.

I think they have arguably the best steak in town (A lot of my friends think Willowbrook has the best steak). It comes with Chimichurri on it, which I like, but you can get it on the side of you aren't sure. I've also had the Osso Buco which was ridiculously good. Queso Fundito is good. Carne Asada is good. Like the chips and hot sauce. They have some sort of coconut/jalepeno chicken soup which is really good. I don't like the enchiladas. I really prefer Tex-Mex style enchiladas that are covered in sauce, and filled with greasy cheese and onions. Their enchiladas are fairly dry with a crumbled white cheese on top. Definately more of a South American/True Mexican style.

This was probably more info than you wanted, but I made myself hungry while typing, so I just kept going.
ag2dabone
Thanks Josepi. Whats your opinion of Jake's if you have been? Looking for a good place to take my wife for our 5th anniversary.
Josepi
AG
I love the rooftop at Jakes. I think it has the best outdoor dining atmosphere in Tyler (only appetizers on the roof), however I haven't just loved a meal there in a long time. When we moved to Tyler 8-9 years ago, Jakes was my favorite restaurant in town. However, personally think it has gone downhill since then. Is it still good? Yes. Is it great? In my opinion, no. It is definitely more upscale than Villa, and it is more expensive than Villa. However, Jakes makes a great martini. We still go to Jakes every couple of months when the weather is decent, but it is usually just to meet some friends on the roof for after dinner drinks. The roof does have heaters, but even with those I wouldn't go this time of year. If I'm paying $45 for a steak, it needs to be a great steak, and I haven't had a great steak there in forever.

Ricks is kind of the same for me. Ricks doesn't have the roof, but it does have the courtyard which has fun live music on occasion. For a romantic/special occasion, Ricks usually has the piano playing by the bar which is nice. Again, like Jakes, Ricks will be a bit pricey, and I just don't think its worth it (it's good, not great). On a side note, Ricks Au Jue / French Dip sandwich is amazing! I wouldn't order that for an anniversary dinner, but its a pretty great lunch.

For my anniversary, we always consider Villa, Ricks, Jakes, Currents, and Bernards. If you don't mind a really long drive, 4 Winds is good. Some people love Kiepersol. I've never been as having to wear a coat and tie to a dinner is a deal breaker for me, but for a special occasion it might be worth it. Also, Jack Ryans in Kilgore is pretty decent.
ag2dabone
ag2dabone
I agree, I am not wearing a coat and tie to dinner! I have heard Jack Ryan's is good but very expensive? With all I have read both online and what you have said I am leaning towards Villa.
Josepi
AG
I love Villa, and if you have never been it's a great place for a special occassion
ag2dabone
Good deal. You sold me on it! Thanks for the info.
Stive
AG
We like Villa a lot. Bernard's is awesome for anniversaries as well. If you've never been to Lago Del Pino it's a nice change of pace as well....especially if you like a good porch, a good view, and music.
BMach
AG
Villa catered my rehearsal dinner and we loved it.
Josepi
AG
I agree with Lago for the patio. The lake, and live music make for a great atmosphere to sit and relax. I've never had a great dinner there though, but it's probably been a year since I've had dinner in the dining room.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Kiepersol doesn't require a coat and tie, unless that changed within the last 6 months or so, I've been several times and typically wear nice jeans and shirt.
Dro07
AG
Kiepersol used to require a suit and tie but they changed that last time I went out there about 2 or so years ago.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Lago, which I think is Aggie owned, doesnt have the best rep for either service or food. Most folks I talk to think thats a shame since the location/patio/drinks ate top notch.
Dro07
AG
Don't think the parents are Ags but two of the sons are
EastTexAg09
quote:
Bernard's is awesome for anniversaries
This
FirstOnRaceDayAg
AG
Attire for Kiepersol is now business casual. No coat and tie needed now.
ag2dabone
How does the food and atmosphere at Kiepersol compare to others mentioned here?
spud1910
AG
Villa Montez is my favorite place in Tyler. Mundo and Carlos, the owners, are great guys. Lago has a great setting, but after several times there, have not been impressed with the food nor the service.
ag2dabone
Thanks for all the input. Went to Villa Montez Saturday night. Food and drinks were as advertised. The only down side was we had an 8 o'clock reservation but didnt get seated until a little after 9. Otherwise it was a good time.
jickyjack1
It will be interesting, probably in a sad way, to see what this lineup looks like in a year if the O&G situation keeps deteriorating. Tyler isn't as vulnerable as it was last time, hopefully, but the ripple effect of a significant period at $20-$30 (please no) might blow a lot of cream off the top.
Stive
AG
If it went that low it would be felt but it won't be like the 80's again. Tyler has diversified quite a bit since then with it's medical market, the growth of the colleges, and the legal fields. It can absorb a hit like that MUCH better than say Midland.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.