Ok BBQ nuts....

5,458 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by GregZeppelin
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ribs....Stanley's ("new" kid on the block) or Country Tavern (old veteran and historically best).

Physical Graffiti
AG
Give me Country Tavern about 15-20 years ago. They are still good but not like they were.

I'll take Stanley's now though.
Dro07
AG
second with the loser above me said.

CT has gone down
Post removed:
by user
Ag pride
AG
Just ribs? Still a CT guy. Anything else is Stanley's
tx.agg.96
AG
quote:
Just ribs? Still a CT guy. Anything else is Stanley's

this, also i have dreams about the BIL
AGC
AG
I'd check out the 'recommendations for a therapist' thread if that's who you dream about .

I dream about their torta.

[This message has been edited by aggiegamecock (edited 8/14/2014 9:12p).]
BMach
AG
Stanley's, CT is average at best
Josepi
AG
CT is so inconsistent these days, and that is coming from someone who has eaten there at least once a month for the past 5 years. Some days I think the ribs are the best I have had in forever, and some days, they are downright bad.

Strangely enough, I hardly ever get the ribs at Stanleys. BBQ ribs are one of my favorite foods on the planet, but that damn mother clucker that Stanley's has is like crack to me. I just can't say no.
Stive
AG
I think I'm agreeing with Josepi on this one.

I had CT on Thursday and the ribs were good....about an 8 out of 10. But I had some last spring that were nothing to brag about....4 out of 10. The other times I've had them in the past, I remember thinking "these are good, but I don't get the hype".

I don't think I've ever had Stanley's where I didn't think "these are good ribs". The consistency is a big factor for me; I don't want to wonder if I'm going to like them today or not.

Post removed:
by user
Stive
Post removed:
by user
gigemhilo
AG
I have been so underwhelmed with CT every time i have been there.

Stanleys has never disappointed me.
Stive
AG
Josepi and I hit Stanley's on Tuesday and I'm of the opinion that their ribs are better. They had more flavor than the CT one's I had last Thursday, they were more tender, and seemed like more meat.

While Stanley's brisket has improved since I started going there 5 years ago, they still don't hold up to the big, major Austin players. Someone told me that Nick has been learning from some of the guys in Austin and trying to improve his game in the brisket area and I think it shows.

Post removed:
by user
Josepi
AG
Stive is right on. The ribs at Stanley's were pretty delicious.

Nick has visited with a few of the "famous" guys around Austin in an attempt to up his game. I know he visited with Louie Mueller and every once in a while, he will have some beef ribs that Louie tutored him on.

On a side note, Louie Mueller is a pretty interesting guy. He's a big believer in sharing his knowledge, and helping everyone who enjoys smoking meat get better at their craft. Most of the "famous" guys guard their secrets, and wont let you look at their pit or operation. Louie will give just about anyone who asks a tour, and I know of a few guys who were designing custom pits that Louie went over their drawings with them and gave them some pointers. Really nice guy, who enjoys sharing what he loves.
EASTTEXAS81
AG
I am in Carthage and Daddy Sam's is really good. Where is Stanley's located?

Class of '81
Stive
AG
quote:
I am in Carthage and Daddy Sam's is really good. Where is Stanley's located?

Class of '81

Tyler.

Basically right across the street from Mother Francis Hospital if you're familiar with where its located.
Scantron882
AG
Anyone been to Riverport in Jefferson?
Post removed:
by user
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
I always get burgers at that famous place in Jefferson. Then a malt @ the general store.

Nvr tried BBQ place

Hamburger Shop
gsp_hunt
Pat Gee's
GregZeppelin
AG
Stanley's
Aggiehunter34
S
Stanley's
easttexasaggie04
AG
Riverport BBQ in Jefferson is very good.
Born Maroon
AG
The good music and patio bar at Stanley's puts them over the top.
GregZeppelin
AG
Had Stanley's for lunch today.

It was awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.