Recommendation for a therapist in Tyler

2,906 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by suprafly03
KeyKeyKey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope this doesn't get lost in all of the new clutter that arrived today.

I have a friend who confidentially reached out to me today looking for a recommendation for a therapist. They are going through a difficult time right now, struggling with some depression issues, and would like someone to talk to. However, they aren't comfortable bringing up the subject within their own social circle, so they asked me to look for some recommendations.

I have no idea where to begin, so if anybody has any recommendations, I would certainly appreciate it. I don't even know if therapist is the correct term for what they need. Perhaps a psychiatrist, or psychologist, or someone with the ability to prescribe an anti-depressant. Not really sure.

Thanks
Stive
AG
There's different kinds of therapy. There's "counseling" as in a marriage counselor, working through some things, meaning of life type stuff, etc., or there's someone that can prescribe meds for chemical issues, depression, etc.

If it's the first, Chris Legg's group has a pretty good reputation. Google Alethia Counseling Center in Tyler and they should show up. As far as someone that can prescribe something, I can get a few names for you tomorrow.
KeyKeyKey
Thanks Stive. The person mentioned that they aren't happy with their life, Tyler, etc... They didn't mention their marriage, but I would guess that it is wrapped up in there. They have had some difficulties lately with career, death in the family, and a couple of other things, and I believe they are having a hard time dealing.

I'm not sure that they are interested in an anti-depressant (I threw that in). I know they have used one in the past when they were out of college, but I'm guessing it has been 10+ years since they have been off of it. They did mention that that they have been very depressed lately, and have been having a hard time getting motivated for the day, avoiding social situations, and things such as that. I will do some digging and see what they really want/expect.

Thanks again.

Stive
AG
Tell them to try Legg's group. If it's out of their pervue they'll refer it out.

AGC
AG
Legg's group is a good recommendation. I have another friend that runs or ran his own group too but he mostly does inner city and poverty ministry now. I don't know if he still has it.
billtheag89
AG
Wade McDonald. http://www.crosspointcounselingservices.com/. I have known Wade for some time now. Common sense wisdom and relates well to people from all walks of life. Also, FTAB member father.

[This message has been edited by billtheag89 (edited 8/5/2014 6:02a).]
suprafly03
AG
I don't know Chris Legg as a counselor, but as a man, he's a great one.

I've actually thought about using him in the role of a counselor, and may do so in the future...

I'd trust him for sure!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.