Recommendations for Auto Repair Shop in Tyler

7,802 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggiebrewer
RC_57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Daughter attending school in Tyler (long story).

On occasion she may need work done on her 2001 Ford Explorer.

Anyone have any recommendations for a reputable auto repair shop in Tyler?

Thanks
Josepi
AG
I've always liked the guys at Donnybrook Automotive (http://www.stewartsdonnybrookauto.com/index.php)

Gary and Dean are good, honest guys, and won't screw you over.
RC_57
AG
Thanks Josepi
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
quote:
Terry's repair. best in 5 counties and honest as the day is long.

no hyperbole.

really

Is this the guy that's just south of Grande on Paluxy (across from a nursing home/retirement community)? If so, I agree with Aggiebrewer. I've used him twice now and he's super nice, honest, and knows his stuff!

Second time we took a vehicle to him, we had a weird issue going on after a wreck. After a day or so, he had me stop by and told me he and another guy had worked most of the previous afternoon trying to figure out the issue and never could come up with the fix. He recommended taking it to the dealership because he thought it was likely a computer diagnostic problem that only they would be able to repair. I asked him what I owed him and he said he wouldn't accept money because he not only hadn't fixed it, he wasn't even sure if his diagnostic was correct. Only thing he asked was if the dealership was able to fix the issue, to call him back and let him know what the problem had been and what they'd done to fix it. I did so and he had been correct...computer related.

It may be a little thing, but refusing my payment after having spent an afternoon of his (and an additional employee's) time earned him a customer for a long time.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
RC_57
AG
Thanks to all those that responded
Owlagdad
Gary at Donnybrook has always done a great job and at about half cost of dealerships. I have girls, and they have his card. I heard him tell a Dad and his daughter to call and they would come get the car no matter how late.
jickyjack1
Have never, over many years, heard anything approaching a negative about Terry Weiss. The worst that can be said about him is that he might retire some day. Can't say the same about Donnybrook.
Ag pride
AG
Actually used to live on Roy, took plenty of vehicles to Terry's. Pure class.
RC_57
AG
Daughter had car trouble. Took it to Terry's. Unfortunately he could not get to it until next week.

So thinking of using S & J Automotive. Any experience with them?

And thanks all
billtheag89
AG
SRT Auto Center. Address: 14929 State Highway 110 S, Whitehouse, TX 75791
Phone: (903) 581-9595
Josepi
AG
Pulled this thread up because my wife's Volvo is having an issue. I called Terry, and told him what was wrong. He spent about 10 minutes telling me what was most likely wrong, and then gave me the name of another mechanic who he felt was better at working on Volvo than he was. Super nice guy.
Stive
RockOn
I know Billy Hughes at Hughes Automotive on 5th st. I'd trust him with with anything.
AGC
AG
The dude (Terry) will dispense knowledge for free, I can now confirm on my own. Will be seeing him in a week to follow up the call. Oddly happy about seeing him after the reviews and phone call. Not sure I've ever said that about a mechanic.
jmm
I am a big fan of Billing's at the corner of grande and old Jacksonville. My daughter had a flat on the way to a&m and Jeff went and got her and Put the temporary spare on and followed her back to tyler so they could put a new tire on.
Dro07
AG
They are good people! I have known them for a really long time.
Stive
AG
He's a good dude. He usually has an old car or two he's working on or refurbishing in the garage. Ask him a question about it, shut up, and just listen. He'll tell you all about it and usually give you some cool facts about the car(s) that you wouldn't get anywhere else. He's done this numerous times for me, I'm not a gear head at all, and it's still entertaining as hell.
Post removed:
by user
Mike Jarrod
I'm glad to recommend you all Joe's Automotive Service for full automotive repair. If you need any extra help at any time of the day, these guys will be more than glad to help you out. All the best!
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
Assuming he has a connection to Joe, nothing wrong with someone taking a few extra steps to try and help a brother out.

Oh..... and welcome to the dark side sir!
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.