2016 Hurricane Season

2,262 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Charpie
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

RGV AG
AG

Betcha it misses the RGV by a wide berth.......I am sure looking at it.
For grins every time in the last 20 years there has been a hurricane or TS, I have been working and staying out of the RGV. And currently? I am not there......sooooo odds have improved.
PJYoung
AG
quote:

Betcha it misses the RGV by a wide berth.......I am sure looking at it.
For grins every time in the last 20 years there has been a hurricane or TS, I have been working and staying out of the RGV. And currently? I am not there......sooooo odds have improved.

Ha, that's funny. We've been through Allen in the early 80s but we were living in McAllen. Not a big deal I guess but it scared my parents to death because of it's history of being a deadly, record breaking hurricane. As a kid it was fun to go out in the eye and ride my bike around. I missed Gilbert in '89 or whenever it was when I was at A&M. Brett was a huge scare in '99. That was a smaller Cat 5 that cut an impressive new channel up near Port Mansfield and nobody in the valley knew it had a chance to hit here until less than 24 hours before landfall. A little slower (or faster, i don't remember) and it would've taken a fork in the stream and come up the mouth of the Rio Grande.

We rode out Hurricane Emily in our rental on the beach in 2005. That storm was more than impressive, a cat 3/4 that was strengthening as it hit San Fernando (150 miles down the coast or whatever) and it rocked our house good, tore the dunes up completely and knocked out power for a day. That's as close as I ever want to get. Dolly destroyed a couple of my young trees in McAllen and was a pain for how s l o w l y it moved but it wasn't a real problem for us. I know everything east of McAllen wasn't as lucky with that one and property along the bay got messed up bad. The worst thing that happened in that storm for us is that it tore up our beach rental and we had to relocate to Port Aransas for the week. Not a fan of that place unless I'm fishing.

A friend of ours has a house out at the Shores on SPI and she said all of those homes in that subdivision have breakaway walls on the first floor. It will be interesting to see how those super expensive, highly engineered newer homes survive a major hurricane. I suspect that they will do very well.
RGV AG
AG
Yes these storms are interesting. I remember hurricane Allen well, but was not living in the RGV at that time. The big scare was Gilbert, my parents freaked out and decided to evacuate to Monterrey. Well the storm hit south and within 12-14 poured massive amounts of rain on Monterrey and washed a couple of busses off bridges and stuff. My parents were stuck there for 4 days without electricity.

I remember getting back for the storm in 2010 and rode that out in my place in PI. It was not a big deal and was over fairly quickly. I was in Nicaragua for 2008 and Dolly, and Dolly tore the roof of that place up and about 10 days later feeder bands from Ike dropped copious amounts of rain on the place and messed it up pretty bad.

You know, it is funny that you mention The Shores and all the places built on the Island, I don't think they really know what a big ass major storm will do to those places. It is always the surge that causes the most damage and if a big slow moving storms comes ashore and the tides are right the surge is going to be a mother goose all over the Island. Think about this, several times in the last 100 years storms have created cuts, guts, and moved the big Texas barrier Island. Especially when a couple hit within months of each other. I have always suspected that there are places on the Island(s) that may have structure standing on them after a storm but that the structure might be sitting in 18"-24" of water.

Charpie
AG
I was a kid for Allen. Had a ton of rain. Bret tore up Port Mansfield and places north pretty good. My in-laws had just purchased their house in PMP. They had to redo the entire interrior. Gilbert..I distinctly remember that one. I was a sophomore in high school. They had predicted Gilbert would be a huge storm. I remember radar pictures of it taking up the entire gulf. We were in school, and after 10am, they let us go home. Us kids went to Reynosa before going to help prepare for the storm that gave us just a bunch of rain.
PJYoung
AG
Something's brewing in the gulf.
Charpie
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.