West Texas
Sponsored by

Going to Alpine

2,377 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BillE1976
BillE1976
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to Alpine for the first time next month. plan to visit the McDonald Observatory for sure. Staying at The Holland Hotel. What else should be on the "to do" list?
danw95
AG
Are you going to big bend national park at all?

We usually take visitors to marathon for a beer and dinner at the Gage Hotel, the bar has reasonably priced good food if you get there early enough to grab a table. The restaurant itself is great but pricey.

in Alpine, Big Bend Brewing Conpany is a fun way to grab a few fresh beers. There's a free big bend museum in Sul Ross's campus.
BillE1976
AG
Will probably go down to Terlingua and Lajitas if for no other reason than to just see it.
Mucho austin
AG
Can't beat The Reata for dinner.

I always get the Carne Asada w/ a cheese enchilada! It rhymes, and its amazing.
rbcs_2
AG
You're missing out if you are skipping Big Bend, but it is more of a 2 - 3 day stay type of place. Lajitas and Terlingua aren't really ... well I'll just say that in my opinion, Big Bend is immensely better.

It's been a few years since I lived out there, and every time I go back I am blown away with how little things change. For both good and bad, but I do miss it quite a bit.
danw95
AG
Agree that the food at Reata is great. The food at the holland is ok but for the price, Reata is much better

Forget lajitas. Pack a lunch and water and do big bend first, a 90 minute drive from alpine. Do like the Ross maxwell drive to see Santa Elena canyon (picnic tables there to eat at), drive up to the basin and do the window view quick trail, then do terlingua ghost town on your way home as a place to get a Coke, stopping at the cemetery before you leave.

If you're coming this far you really should see Big Bend. It's hard to believe it's Texas.
Mucho austin
AG
And don't you dare forget to see the marfa lights.

Don't let anyone tell you it's headlights from the highway.

If you don't see the marfa lights while you are at the observation site, look up for the real show.
RepublicBrand
AG
We love Fort Davis too and in this hot weather, a dip at Balmorhea! Headed that way on Sunday for Bloys Camp Meeting!
Sponsor Message | Republic Brand. The Texas Lifestyle Company. Made in Aggieland by Aggies. |
BillE1976
AG
Just returned from my trip to Alpine. It was great. Reata is the real deal. Stayed at The Holland. Very Good, restruant is meh, bar is good. Highlight was McDonald Observatory. Cloudy and rainy most days, but on the day we were at the Observatory it was cloudy until about 6:00 PM, then completely cleared. Beautiful night sky. Fort Davis was cool. Went to Terlingua and Lajitas, but the weather turned bad before we could get to Big Bend National Park. Museum of The Big Bend at Sul Ross was good. Sul Ross has a nice campus. Big Bend Brewery was a couple of hours well spent. People were very friendly. People really trusyt out there. Walked into several shops and founds signs saying "We are working in the back, holler if you need help. A store on Holland St. called The Ranchouse Too has Cooper, the Corgi who greats everyone coming in the store. Went to the Marfa Lights viewing are, no lights, weather cloudy. A lot of people there. One regular says they seem to appear more during cold weather.

As I said weather was rainy, but we could get up and have breakfast on the patio, about 59 - 62 degrees. Walk around Alpine all day, highs in the 70's, no humidity.

Overall a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.