West Texas
Sponsored by

Tailor - Midland/Odessa

3,705 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LoneStarBQ
fta09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a good tailor in the Midland/Odessa area? I'm looking to get a couple of new suits as the only two I own are from college, so the style is out and I have gotten in shape lately as well.

I only wear a suit a few times a year, so not looking to spend a crazy amount there, but have always heard to avoid the tailors at Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank.
JD05AG
AG
On the pricier side, but a very quality product.

www.johnphilbeckcustomclothing.com
TxAg20
AG
I've used several including Philbeck. He's a nice guy, and his kids are Aggies, but I think there are better options for the price.

On the less expensive end, this guy is hard to beat and he'll be in Midland in a couple of weeks http://www.garytailor.com/catalog/TourSchedule.php. Gary Tailor clothes are made in Hong Kong and run about 1/2 the price of Tom James or John Philbeck. He will tell you 6-8 weeks for delivery but I've ordered clothes from him 6 or 8 times and the longest it's ever taken is 6 weeks. It's typically 2-3 weeks. He likes to size his clothes a little looser than I like, so I'll wear something that fits like I prefer or tell him what I'd like him to change about the last clothes he made for me. Returns are tough since shipping to Hong Kong isn't cheap, but if he screws something up, he'll make it right.

I've used a Tom James rep from Lubbock (he's in Midland a couple of days per week) and I prefer his fit the best, but he is the slowest at delivering. I'd say 2 months out on average. They have 5 different price points and I typically buy the 2nd cheapest or middle price point items. These run about $250/shirt $500-$600 for pants and $700-$1000 for jackets. A little cheaper than what I bought from Philbeck, but quite a bit higher than Gary Tailor.

I've tried J. Hillburn once beacause I was given a gift card. Their pants fit me great, but the shirt I got was too fitted. They basically ask you how you like your clothes to fit from +3" to +8". +3" is like a Robin Thicke costume. +8" is more like Ron White. I think I went with +5" and really like the pants. I'd probably go +6" on the shirt next time. I think their prices are a little higher than Gary Tailor.

For me, Brooks Brothers is hard to beat for pants on price and fit. They have a few different fits and hem to length. I can get pants there that fit 95% as good as my best fitting custom pants for 1/2 the price of tailored pants. I prefer tailored shirts and coats though.
fta09
AG
Thanks for the responses! I was looking for something more middle tier, so I ended up going with a couple of suits from Suitsupply. I decided to just make a quick weekend trip to Dallas so that the alterations could be done in the store after purchase. The suits fit great, the service was incredible, and I love the quality! Highly recommended.

I did talk to John Philbeck this morning. I had tried contacting him last week and he returned my call today. He had been traveling and was previously unavailable. I mentioned that he was recommended by some good Ags, which he was happy to hear. He was out of my price range, but I did let him know that if I am ever looking for something a little nicer, I will be sure to contact him.
LoneStarBQ
AG
There is a little place in a small strip center on Midkiff next to Tobacco Alley. Sorry I can't remember the name, but probably more along the lines of what your are looking for.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.