Moving to Wichita Falls

2,161 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Blane
AimToMaim 06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After 3 tormenting years being stuck in Ohio, the government has reassigned the fam to Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, Texas.

We are very excited to be moving back to the Great State.

But I have no clue about the city, haven't even passed through it.

Any tips on where to live? Anywhere to avoid?

Any general knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks guys & gals
TwoMarksHand
AG
Welcome!

I work in downtown, but live and grew up in Archer City.

Housing location wise (assuming your not living on base), just avoid downtown/east of downtown. If you google around you can find areas with newer house, such as southside of Southwest pkwy. Another good area is north and east sides of MSU.

Even though MSU is right in the middle of town, it is significantly smaller than A&M. Therefore Wichita isn't a "college town".

If you like to golf, Sheppard sold their greens a couple years ago, but Weeks completely reconstructed their course, and is pretty fun. Red River CC in Burkburnett is another great course that you can play on the cheap.

As far as food goes, if you search Texags, there was a pretty good thread a while back on this board.

This is one man's opinion, there are other WF lurkers on here that could probably give you better answers than I.
Hamburger Dan
Just saw this post. I've lived in WF my whole life. People usually tell me I wasn't smart enough to escape. A town of 100,000 that plays smaller and poorer. I don't want to rain on your parade, living here is an acquired taste. Hospitals are good. Schools, meh. Serious shoppers head to DFW. Housing market is solid. Other nice neighborhoods are Canyon Trails and Fountain Park. Except for the big box type stores and some chain restaurants - the town stays the same. On the bright side, we now have water. Good luck.
Burrus86
AG
Blane
I'd avoid anywhere near the Walmart on Southwest Parkway. Lots of govt housing and a large amount of crime around that area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.